H2H3 / Game 2: Hurricanes vs Flying Germans

• Splash-0%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: Flying Germans

What I Thought About The Hurricanes Park:
    Interesting park but i thought that the colours were horrible. Also The contrast between the bright green / red area and the darker area with the dark red was too big for me. I also thought that the flashy area was a copy of some one's Supper Runner Up (not saying the name) and didn't show anything new there.
    However, i thought it showed some overall cool idea's, it's alive, something to break the routine. Like that mousetrap and some other hacks. But unfortunately there were to much (pointless) little hacks combined with ideas that were not well executed....what made me dislike the park. Plus the colours combinations and that other area. So that's where it lost my vote.

What I Thought About The Flying Germans Park:
    A very appealing park on first sight. Three different well chosen themes which gave the park a very good general feeling. It's calm, cool idea's, an amazing woody, some nice landscaping and of course that nicely hacked pyramid coaster. The park also seemed to be thought out a lot better then the Cane's park.
    The only thing that i didn't like about this park was the underground mine train, i just can't understand why it's there and under the ground. Why ?

Why you made your final decision:
    The Germans park was far more pleasing and 'friendly' to look at. The park just did it for me, (see above reasons) while i thought that the Cane's park was the 100% opposite of that.

Splash
  • Titan%s's Photo
    VOTE HURRICANES

The German's park could have been great, but seemed to be shoved into a small space, making eveything look half-baked.

I didn't love the Canes' park, but it seemed to take more chances, and I did really like the coaster. (But that black spot was u-g-l-y)

Basicly, my vote went to the Canes' because it looked like they put more time into. But I won't lie, this one is VERY CLOSE.
  • gir%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for:
    - The Pyramid Connection by Flying Germans

What you thought about the Hurricanes' park:
    - Overall, I thought the park was entirely too messy, probably because of the colors. The chain reaction thing at the start was kind of cool, but maybe that is the only positive thing I see going for this park. The architecture was interesting, and perhaps could be pulled off better if goofy, obnoxious colors had not been used.

What you thought about the Flying Germans' park:
    - I thought this park was really quite nice, and it made me feel good. I wasn't bored for a second, and I enjoyed the separate themes and how they connected to the pyramid--very cool idea! The thing about the coaster that bugged me was the train style. Why didn't you guys use the GCI trains, more suited for those sudden twists, turns, and dives? I liked the support work under the paths in the Mexico area I think, as well as the little details all around the park. The steel bracing used to help support the wood on the coaster was thoughtful, and made me smile. Not crazy about the splitter, though, not because of the fact that it is "overused." It simply didn't add any value to the park, but I think the other parts in The Pyramid Connection more than made up for it.

- The Flying German's park didn't have as many flaws, and just in general it wasn't ugly. I thought the theme was pulled off quite well, and everything in it seemed to have a purpose. In The Day After Tomorrowland, I thought all the components were just so random, and these robot, futuristic, fantasy-style parks are starting to make me sick.
  • MindBender5%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: The Flying Germans- The Pyramid Connection

What you thought about the Hurricanes' park: There were a lot of fun little parts to this park: the dead guest conveyor leading into the cyborg factory, the input output sections of the Great Robody, the wooden track undlying the steel wild mouse, etc. I was a bit put off with the ammount of hacks, however. In many cases, I think the park could have been better by simply removing the excess ones (This is true to not only this park, but many parks in recent months; please don't hack for the sake of hacking). To me, these were things like the nature of the coaster. Inverted trains on a standup might be a great acheivement hacking wise, but I guess I didn't see as a theme furthering element the same way the creator did. It was confusingly kinky to me. However, I liked the park overall despite the places it wanders off my own frequency.

What you thought about the Flying Germans' park: Whether or not it's an homage to the old Mala ride I love is still to be questioned, but in any case I absolutely love this park's expansion of the theme. While I admit it might have taken a bit of side-shoving to put China along with the Central Americans and Egyptians as pyramid builders, I respect this park's daringness to speculate it. The namesake coaster pleases me just as much. It's not to flashy or pretentious, but it's still elegant in it's own unique way. Moreover, the hack it utitlizes relates more the concept of the park, split empires fused together by their pyramids. This is the sort of park that's piqued my interest lately.

Why you made your final decision: Honestly, I do like both, but it comes down to two things: my team affiliation and my love of the German's concept, a showcase of the pyramid cultures, fused by the centerpiece. Germans have my vote.
  • Geoff%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: The Day After Tomorrowland

What you thought about the Hurricanes' park: It wasn't the best, but it was definitely more imaginative, and original than the Germans' park. The robot, and the coaster were great fun.

What you thought about the Flying Germans' park: Boring, and uninspiring. Had serious potential, but it didn't grab ahold of my attention for very long.

Why you made your final decision: Hurricanes. Even though I thought both parks were weak, Hurricanes deserve the win, because the Germans' park lacked.... alot.

P.S. Best voting thing ever.
  • Tech Artist%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: The Flying Germans- The Pyramid Connection

I don't really feel like getting into a big post cause I'm not really feeling well right now so I'll keep this short and simple.
    I thought it was a nice and calming park. The architecture was nice and the landscape seemed to flow well. I actully like the pyramid because it fits into the park nicely and I like the way it's colors match the area it is pointing at.

Why you made your final decision: What I posted above and I am on The Flying German's team.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Day after Tomorrowland:

There were some interesting ideas in this park. I really like the 'mousetrap' idea, but it was really disappointing to see how uninteresting it was here. Almost more disappointing to see it done poorly than to not see it done at all. It starts off okay, but it never seems to go anywhere. For something like this to work, it needs to build up tension. It should be unpredictable and awe-inspiring to see how each element builds on what came before. Really an interesting idea, but you put it in the corner and didn't give it anything to do which really makes it a gimmick. I'd be alright with that I guess except that nothing else in the park was really any better.

The robot thing was interesting. I liked some of the creative use of scenery there. I don't really like how it's half robot, half mountain. It's kind of like an amorphous blob with a robot head and arm. More of a sense of purpose with the form of the structure would have helped a lot. I also don't like trackless rides when they seem to fly around randomly. The rocket car ride that went in and out of the robot structure seemed pretty pointless to me. Trackless stuff works when it's either theming (and used sparingly) like helicopters or something - though even that is starting to get overused - or if it follows some kind of layout that's defined by track or landscaping or something. Coaster trains flying around everywhere just are not interesting to watch.

And then there was the third area of the park which didn't really have anything in it except a bunch of ugly buildings. There was a nice looking sculpture in the corner there, but far too much filler like huge paths and lots of bushes. There was some interesting stuff in this park, but with three areas that don't really fit together and nothing to really hold my interest, I was really disappointed. The map doesn't have any sense of flow from one area to the next, and there's nothing to really direct my attention in any of the three areas. What it does have is some creative uses of scenery and the suggestion of some good ride ideas that weren't fully developed. I don't believe in voting based on potential, and the execution here was really terrible right down to the huge chunk of blank scenery tiles to fill up space. Who do you think you're fooling with that?

The Pyramid Connection:

An interesting concept for a park. I guess you're referring to how the Chinese pagodas or temples like Angkor Wat resemble the stepped pyramids of the South American cultures? Something that I like about this park is that it works as a park. The areas flow into each other and share a concept. And then you've put in the pyramid to give it a centerpiece. That's a good concept for a H2H park I think. It makes good use of the map space.

The other thing that stands out about this park is how great the landscaping is. This is some of the best landscaping work I've seen. You could tell me Mala did the rocks and I'd believe you, especially the large chunks of land around the raft ride and the cliffs around the Chinese village. That earns big points from me right there. I also really liked the raised walkways with the supports underneath them. It's a subtle detail I guess, but seeing the same path supports over and over again gets tiresome such that something different like this really stands out.

The splitting ride. I have to agree that it feels awfully gimmicky the way it doesn't do anything after it splits. On the other hand, you've got a map about three different cultures sharing a common thread. A plitting coaster does seem like a natural choice as a centerpiece. So I give you credit for the planning, I think a splitter would have been a good idea. But you didn't really make it into a ride, which is unfortunate. I liked the first part of the wooden coaster. I think it wraps around the rocks in a very tasteful way. Again, the use of landscaping on this map is impressive. But the rest of the ride layout doesn't do anything memorable.

The only other thing to say about this map is that there's some terrific architecture here. The station building to the wooden coaster I liked in particular. I think it used the wooden coaster roofing in a cool way that looked like you actually put some thought and effort into it. The whole egyptian area was filled with nice looking buildings and that little step pyramid in the other area was nice as well.

VOTE: The Pyramid Connection

Neither one really blew me away. Both lacked a really great ride and came off feeling a little gimmicky. The difference maker for me was that the more I looked at the Hurricanes park, the less I liked it while the more I looked at the Flying Germans park, the little details made it come alive for me. Creativity is an important tool. Trying to do something new is commendable. I appreciate that the Hurricanes tried to do something new here and they had some good ideas, but the execution of the park really felt lacking. It's ultimately about what's on the map, not the concepts behind it, and it just looked to me that a good deal more care and effort were put into the construction of the Flying Germans park and that's what won the vote for me.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    =========================================================

Park you are voting for: Flying Germans

What you thought about the Hurricanes' park: A nice idea but not pulled off brilliantly.

What you thought about the Flying Germans' park: the idea on the coaster was nice and made me smile, prefered the classical theme of this which is unuall for me

Why you made your final decision: The park had a better overall atmosphere and was pulled of better, Despite a nice idea on the hurricanes park

• GigaForce%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: The Pyramid Connection

What you thought about the Hurricanes' park: It was just one giant hack fest, and it was hard to cencentrate on one point. I did like the Second Phase for a while, those drones were a nice touch, but then it crashed. The colors clash rediculously, and and it hurts the eyes

What you thought about the Flying Germans' park: Much, much better. The compact woody was absolutely amazing, as was the pyramid custom coaster. The themeing is much more conventional and much easier to look at. The pyramid was a cool idea too!

Why you made your final decision: German's park was much more my style, and the Hurricanes' park was just too much of an eyesore. Vote Germans.
  • CoasterForce%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: "The Pyramid Connection" - Flying Germans

What you thought about the Hurricanes' park: I thought it was just too crazy and wacky for me. The colors didn't work for me and in my opinion didn't blend well in places. The rocket-coaster portion of one of the rides was cool though, but that was just about the only area of the park that worked for me.

What you thought about the Flying Germans' park: I didn't really know what to think of it as a whole. It was all kind of sloppy and poorly executed with a bunch of ideas/styles we've seen before. The woodie was cool but was too fast the whole way through, still unique in a way, and the splitter coaster was a nice centerpiece, but besides that the park didn't work for me. The rapids ride and the archy was just...ehh.

Why you made your final decision: I felt while I didn't really like either park, I voted for the Flying Germans because the park was executed better, and at least a decent amount of the ideas worked for me, as opposed to the Hurricanes' park where none-little of the ideas worked for me. Plus, the Germans' park blended together better in the long run.
  • Valp%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for:

- The Pyramid Connection by Flying Germans

- I will agree with others in saying this wasn't the most visually appealing park I've ever seen, but it did function well as sort of the inner-mechanisms of... well, something greater. I liked a lot of the ideas and such, but overall, it came across disjointed, messy, and unorganized.

- There wasn't as much "stuff" there, but this small park functions very well as a mini-park. The basic idea between the connection of these separate cultures building similar monuments at the same time was fantastic, and I think it was pulled off very well. The split coaster, with the glass pyramid in the center, was exciting- and a new twist on an old "gimmick." The China & Egypt sections were very well done, but the Mayan area was a bit lacking compared to the others. The flat rides were themed very well throughout the park.

- In my honest opinion, I thought our park simply outclassed TDAT in almost every respect, perhaps only falling behind in new ideas. Plus, team loyalty was a bit of a factor as well.

(After my post, the Germans lead 16-14)
  • MightyMouse%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: Flying German's Pyramid Connections

Thoughts On Hurricans: Too much jumbled together in such a small space. The giant robot wasn't all that great, in my opinion, and the mechanical arm kinda' stuck out a little too much. The colors struck a sour chord with me, as well. The colors were bright, which was pretty cool, but they really didn't mesh as well as the needed to. Granted, though, the coaster was pretty cool and the actual idea for the park was sweet.

Thoughts On Flying Germans: It had a solid color scheme, in my opinion. The actual pyramid itself looked a bit bulky and out of place but the actual idea behind it was awsome. Eeach section was well crafted. Basically, it was a "pretty" piece to look at. It wasn't the most excitable map, but it was the better of the two, none the less.

Why I made my final decision: The actual concept of the German's park was better than the Hurricane's. Pyramid Connection had better execution than the Hurrican's, Day After Tommarowland. I choose to lean more towards "clean-cut" parks, rather than "off the wall/insane" parks.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: The Pyrmaid Connection by The Flying Germans

What I Thought About The Hurricanes Park:
    Nice ideas, horrible to look at, laggy, messy, nice water slide tubes...blahblah read my posts in the other topic.

What I Thought About The Flying Germans Park:
    Again there's no point reiterating something i've already gone into depth about in the other topic.

I like The Pyramid Connection more...
  • Junya Boy%s's Photo

Park you are voting for: Pyramid Connection by Flying Germans

It could of at least look as good as it did from the overview. was completely turned off by the uglyness of certain parts in the park. overall, the un-necessary hacks and stuff got boring and overused. could've been better, it just looks like it never got there.

excellent in comparions to my style and my liking. I just loved this park, from the screen and in game. i guess you can just say, i like things that look more appealing and subtle, regardless of the mix. this park provided that.

germans park looks better and is more appealing in my eyes.

• Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

VOTE The Hurricanes

1. I thought that the Hurricanes were far more reative and original in their park. I also like the randomness of it all, not to mention the "Robbie the Robot" inspiration.

2. I thought that the Germans park was very well executed, but the landscaping was dreadful.

3. Read statement #1.

Raven-SDI
    §
  • OhioCoasteRFreaK36%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: The Day After Tomorrowland

That is alot of colors!
    I think this park took alot of risks (as stated before), and for what it is was executed well.

Even though I make parks like this it is just overdone..H2H is more about the risks and making parks that go way out there and you question what the parkmakers were thinking!, this just didnt really get that from me.

The risk and execution.
  • Buckeye Becky%s's Photo
    Hi

Park you are voting for: The Day after Tomorrowland

I can't believe some have said this park was horrible. I've never EVER seen a horrible park in H2H this whole year. I think this park is what H2H is about...compared to the other 'safe, tried & true' park, this wins for me hands down. This park most definitely had more thought put into it and it also took more parkmaking skill. Could it have been better? All parks can be better. For a final matchup, this park pulled it off. I am not however, dissing the other park.....

As I said above - 'safe, tried & true' which doesn't make it a bad park. It was lovely in places. The things that turned me off however was the simple architecture, 2x2, 4x4, which IMO doesn't take much skill. A little 2x2 here, a little 4x4 here, decorate it up purty...there ya go. (not that I could have done that ;) ) its just I expect a LOT more for these finals....I also thought the landscaping rock hills in the back of the park were filler? They didn't serve much purpose and honestly, I thought it detracted from the atmosphere. This appeared to be a realistic styled park but then it had the crazy splitter coaster (unrealistic)...I guess I just didn't get that. Better landscaping, a better effort at the architecture and a realistic coaster would have gotten my vote over the Hurricanes park...

I had voted Hurricanes before but since you are re-doing the vote, I decided I should look again at both parks...my decision is still the same.

I think you guys should do the votes like this all the time...cuz that last matchup before this one was fishier than this one...in my opinion....oh well...
  • Panic%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: The Day After Tomorrowland.

Hurricanes' park: I thought that the darker half of this park captured a sense of fun and daring that no part of the Germans' park did. I did not like the multicolored part of the park, as I could find almost nothing of substance there, but I was entertained by the various touches that went into the other park of the park such as the robot building, etc.

Germans' park: This park just couldn't hold my interest. Although the woodie wasn't bad, I didn't care for it above any other coaster and it didn't have any positive impact on how I felt about the park. I thought the trainsplitting coaster was cool, but rather brief. There were a total of 3 major buildings in the Chinese section, about 5 in the South American section, and I think 1 or 2 attractions in the entire Egypt section. It just wasn't the balance of rides and theming that produces good results in most places.

Why you made your decision: The Hurricanes' park captured my interest more than the Germans' park, even if only for a short while itself. I found little that was memorable about the Pyramid Connection, little meat behind it; and although the idea of SLC cars going 25 mph too fast on a sit-down twister track is rather ludicrous, I was entertained by it, as I was by the other touches that went into that half of the Hurricanes' park.
  • RaoulXpres%s's Photo
    Park you are voting for: The Pyramid Connection

Catchy appereance but beyond the inital whim didn't have any overall structure that appealed to me.

Pyramid not the greatest of structures but wonderful atmosphere and an obvious theme that encouraged me to look around.

I got everything from the Hurricanes park from the layout picture, opening it seemed to decrease its appeal to me. However, opening the Flying German's park I didn't get bored looking around.
  • sixflagsfreak56%s's Photo
    I voted for Flying Germans

Hurricanes park seemed to cluttered to me.

Flying Germans had a good overall feel to it. I liked the archy the best.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading