General Chat / The Future Architects' Thread

• natelox%s's Photo
    AutoCAD is outdated? I'm still fairly new at this, but it's an extremely powerful program. And it does 3D work as well. The only issue that I can see with it is the greedy manufacturers. You have to update every two years at $4000 a copy. I've seen advertisments in Architectural Record for Sketch-Up, and I think it looks cartoony and unproffessional. Mind you, I haven't used it so my I may not be the best critic.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Pyro means it's "outdated" in that because the new building information modeling (BIM) programs are now out and gaining popularity (and really, can built something better because you get all the drawings you need as well as a 3-D model and perspectives, schedules, cost estimates (and even lighting, structural, and insulation estimates in some of the more expensive versions) and such all in one package.

I wouldn't be surprised if Revit and (shudder) ArchiCAD became very popular 10-20 years from now (and it might be sooner). Eventually, AutoCAD will go the way of hand drafting, I believe.

Anyway, in terms of programs, Pyro pretty much summed it up well.

Drafting:
    AutoCAD
    VectorWorks

3D
    Form-Z
    3D Studio
    Maya
    Sketch Up (used mostly for massing or simpler designs; nothing photorealistic)

BIM
    Revit
    ArchiCAD

General Graphics and Layout Stuff
    Photoshop
    Illustrator
    InDesign or PageMaker
    Acrobat Pro
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    BIM... I knew the term I just totally blanked. I am definintly for one a fan of the more model oriented design. Realistically our current conventions of producing construction drawings as sections, plans, and elevations just don't make sense. That is essentially taking a 3d designed object, tranfering it into 2d, then building it again in 3d. Programs such as Revit, ArchiCad (I agree Cork, eww), and to some lesser extent Architectural Desktop skip the transfer step, Some articles I have read say in the not so distant future buildings may be constructed from simply computer models because it allows them to fully see everything. In drawings you can run into problems in larger projects such as airducts intersecting with beams or something, because everything is on a seperate drawing. Models eliminate this by putting everything together.

As for Autocad's 3d capablities. It can handle it to an extent, but it is a pain in the ass to design with. If something gets moved you have to erase and redraw, because the program views everything as simply lines instead of walls, doors, windows. If you want something similar to AutoCad that may be a little more suited to 3d, check out Architectural Desktop. It is kind of a cross between AutoCad and Revit in that its built on the AutoCad platform, but instead of lines you draw walls and modify the properties of each object.

As for sketchup, I think its an amazing program. It really is unbelievable how easy it is to use and how much you can do with it. Particuraly for early design phases, its a really good way to easily and freely play with mass. As for the cartoonyness.... thats kind of the point. The program produces drawings that look like Sketches. But I for one like the effect, I think it looks elegant in its own way. But it isn't meant to produce photorealistic drawings like Cork said. Go download the free trial now and just start playing with it, would bet you will like it.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    I just wish they'd fix the navigation interface. Possibly one of the most annoying things ever, although a lot better ever since you showed me the shift+space+mouse movement PAN shortcut. :D
  • chapelz%s's Photo
    I have got AutoCAD down pretty good from a class I took from freshman year but I want to learn Revit to so I was wondering can anyone suggest a book for learning Revit?
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo
    we use formZ and AutoCAD...though some people use archicad, sketchup, etc....we do have maya available to us. but of course they made us all get mac laptops, so they dont work too well with drafting programs since most of them are made for windows. I also know of several firms that use Microstation.

oh and dont leave bryce out for 3d programs...its mostly for landscapes, but can also be used for other 3d design...
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    If you are just playing around with software dont worry about buying a book quite yet, any decent book that will teach you modeling software will run you at least $50. YOu can get pretty good tutorials from Autodesk themselves. I personally used this tutorial to get a brief overview. It teaches you Revit by making you recreate Villa Savoye.

Revit Tutorial
  • chapelz%s's Photo
    Thanks Pyro I just started on that tutorial. :)

Edited by chapelz, 18 March 2006 - 12:54 AM.

• JBruckner%s's Photo
    There is no point calling the software devolpers greedy, the cost is needed.
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    Well, realistically the cost between updates in versions of AutoCad or any software like that from year to year hardly cost anywhere near what they charge for an upgrade.... but it keeps people paying which is good buisness. If you make a product like that and have loyal customers you need some way to keep the money flowing, because you are selling to a limited audience. Sucks as a student though when you just want to play around with the programs and learn them. Some may be hypothetically tempted down paths that do not involve paying for the software.
  • Maverick%s's Photo
    Thanks Pyro & Cork. I've used AutoCAD a little but most of the time it was just inputting coordinate charts we typed up in Excel. If you want outdated, I'm still more comfortable using a pencil and eraser than a mouse and keyboard. But I guess the generation that is growing up with computers now would be more inclined to adapt to that technology.
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo

Sucks as a student though when you just want to play around with the programs and learn them. Some may be hypothetically tempted down paths that do not involve paying for the software.

View Post

That's generally why students get the Student Versions...which are cheaper and generally sold by the school having bought in bulk bringing the price down even more....besides, if you just want to play around with it, a lot of schools have all these programs on their computers in their labs...
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    Yes, but when you want to work on your home computer, and some student versions still cost like $100-$300, and its just so easy to get for free... why not?
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    And it has that annoying border watermark on everything you print...
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo
    ^thats why you do the work on your version and then print it from a real version at the comp lab...or if you're set on ripping a copy like pyro seems to be, then do it, i dont really find that necessary though
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Then you might as well do the whole thing in lab... unless it's too far from where you live (or their computers suck). :p
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    If you do all the work on a student copy and then print from a real copy, it prints with the watermark. Once you merely load and save a project in an educational version it is forever corrupted with no way to go back.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    I am not aware if any of you future architects have heard of this, but Skyscraperpage is an amazing site. There are discussions about local and international development, architecture, urban issues, transportation and photography. Strongly recommended.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    Dubai is crazy.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Very much so. Did you notice the Burj Dubai, designed by SOM? Some are saying it will stand 705m, others say 850. The CN Tower tops out at 553m. That is insane.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading