General Chat / The Future Architects' Thread

• Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    yeah, that site is pretty cool.

Burj Dubai will be the tallest building ever by a LONG shot when it's done. 160 stories, I believe. 705m sounds closer than 850m, because I'm pretty sure it won't be over 2500' tall. Admittedly, this is sort of based on old information.

Imagine the person who gets the highest penthouse in that thing. :eek:
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    I'm guessing it will go for 500 million.
  • chapelz%s's Photo
    Projected height is 2,625ft so...
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    ^^ 50 mil sounds a bit more reasonable. ;)
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    50 mil is worth it.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Although it would depend on how the suite is, of course. If it's like... huge, then maybe 100-200.
  • chapelz%s's Photo
    http://www.luxist.co...the-burj-dubai/

well that sucks.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Doesn't mean the tower's not gonna get built. Just some workers taking out their frustrations "the Middle Eastern way." :D

Okay, just kidding. That was a horrible joke. But the point was that this shouldn't affect anything, although the destruction does suck.
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo
    I don't like burj dubai....it has a serious issue with scale....besides the fact that it is completely unnecessary.

oh, and pyro...I've never tried to print like that, but I've been under the impression that it would work...I must have been misinformed.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    When it comes to Dubai, I doubt most people would think about quality architecture... just monumental architecture.

But what can I say? I'm an extremophile. Gotta love gigantically huge things. :D
  • chapelz%s's Photo
    i got to admit the one thing i hate about burj dubai is the fact that it looks like the top floors are going to be toothpick thin.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    depends which ones... in scale maybe, but it makes sense that it tapers in as you go up to reduce the gravity loads and the lateral wind forces.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    There's a wonderful program on the Discovery Channel here in Canada called "Daily Planet." It covers everything! I mean everything. Anyways, there was an intersting bit on floating homes the other day. Floating homes aren't new; there are a few in Vancouver, but I think here (in the video) the idea is to build them on dry ground, and then as water come across the area, they will float.

Click here to view (First Video "Floating Homes").
  • Ge-Ride%s's Photo
    Interesting concept. You could go fishing on your back porch.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    You can already do that in some places... simply because you live on a lake. :p Nevertheless, very cool concept.

Speaking of which... this is final production week for me. Project due on Friday. 6 boards (48"x36" each... colored... over 100 megs each as .psd files), a building model at 1/16"=1'-0", and a double unit model at 1/4"=1'0". Still have the unit model to go, but it's gonna be detailed. Blargh.

*** I mean apartment unit, btw.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    The thing I'm getting at is building them as foating homes, but building them on the ground so that when it floods, the homes float and aren't destroyed. Plus the 100m tall, rotating tower with only a 6-8m 'foundation' was completely new.

Your project sounds involved! Aren't you in your fourth year? So this is your final project? In Canada atleast, its seven years to get a masters (required to be called an 'architect'). I assume its similar in the US?
  • lazyboy97O%s's Photo
    I just finished up my first year Wednesday morning. I'm not really sure how it went.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo

The thing I'm getting at is building them as foating homes, but building them on the ground so that when it floods, the homes float and aren't destroyed. Plus the 100m tall, rotating tower with only a 6-8m 'foundation' was completely new.

Your project sounds involved! Aren't you in your fourth year? So this is your final project? In Canada atleast, its seven years to get a masters (required to be called an 'architect'). I assume its similar in the US?

View Post

To become licensed you need a professional degree. This can be achieved by getting a masters degree (4 + 2) after you get a nonprofessional bachelor's, or you can get a professional bachelor's degree, which takes five years.

So just finished my fourth of five years.

California recently implemented the IDP (Internship Development Program). You need 8 years of total experience, which can include schooling. So when I come out (or actually, starting the summer after my third year), I can gain credit by working at a firm (which I did last summer and will do again this summer). There are a certain number of units I have to gain in 16 categories, which all total to about three years of work experience if you are super efficient.

During this time, you can begin to take your 9-oart written license exams, but you have to finish IDP before you take the oral. Once you pass your oral exam, you're officially licensed, and all you have to do is renew it every whatever number of years.

California's license is pretty strict, so it is transferrable to most other states.

So the earliest I'll be licensed will probably be 24 or 25. I'm not looking forward to all that. :D
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Would the floating homes idea not be a really good idea for countrys like bangladesh that get all the flooding every monsoon...
  • mantis%s's Photo
    And at Boscastle!
    Posted Image

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading