Music Forum / Radiohead

• catachresistant%s's Photo
    I relish the opportunity to tell Radiohead just how much I think their music is worth.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

I relish the opportunity to tell Radiohead just how much I think their music is worth.

Oh admit it.

You bought the discbox.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    It's actually quite genius. All of this money you offer them is going directly into their pockets, rather than to their record label.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    the download has arrived =).
  • Steve%s's Photo
    So I listened to it.

Probably my favorite Radiohead album.

At least until when Videotape started playing.
    This is my official review of Radiohead's latest album, which I paid nothing for, because they are a worthless band. Pasted from the last.fm NewElement group:

hese songs were good. Best up top:

Videotape
    House of Cards
    Arpeggi
    Reckoner
    Faust Arp
    All I Need

This song was mediocre:
    Jigsaw Falling into Place

These songs were so awful I never want to hear them ever again for as long as I live,
    15 Step
    Bodysnatchers
    Nude

• PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    Why did they do that to Videotape? Why? I was thinking the same thing with All I Need until the regular piano kicks in at the end and all is well, but Videotape never launches like it used to. I miss the old version. The rest of the album is incredible.
    Because climaxes are lame and childish.
    Can I interest you in m83.
  • postit%s's Photo
    I've listened to the album twice, and would prefer not to comment yet.

But I agree with Steve and Pyro. What a sad shame. Videotape sounds like an Eraser track and completely lacks any momentum whatsoever. And why would they choose to use such a sped up tempo? It is just beyond me. After Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Videotape would have been wonderful in an epic, slow version with less electronics and more acoustics, and more of Radiohead, the band. I could have seen it as this long slow build up with the weird syncopation Thom used to do on the earlier live versions, with Ed and Jonny noodling on their instruments. I am beginning to question Thom's decision-making (why not Ed's backing vocals on Arpeggi or anywhere else on the album?) Videotape had so much potential, and it turns out like it is going to be my absolutely least favorite track on the album. Quite ironic considering it was my favorite track going into the album. It is probably their worst closer since Blow Out.

Maybe I'm reacting too soon, but I'm so disappointed with Videotape. Maybe it will evolve to a situation like We Suck Young Blood, where I admire the artistic restraint, but still, the fact remains that as it is now, We Suck Young Blood and Videotape are quite weak.
    Blow Out was an awesome closer.
    Videotape is the best closer since Motion Picture Soundtrack.

This is a period:
  • postit%s's Photo
    Of course I respect your opinion.

That's quite the thing to say, considering Life In a Glass House was in between those two. In any case, it is safe to say that Radiohead has consistently strong closers.

Maybe I just need to listen to the album again.

Edited by postit, 10 October 2007 - 05:57 PM.

• chapelz%s's Photo
    Videotape is probably the strongest Radiohead closer of all the albums. The only one that makes me say probably is Street Spirit.
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    Ok, so upon further listening, I really like the new Videotape. At first you hate it if you heard the other version just because it is so different. The build up and climax in the live versions was near perfect and stunningly beautiful. However, I think the album version makes a better closer.

The song is still beautiful, but in a different way. I love the hum, the rolling drum beat, the singing is better now. It feels more earnest and as a result, hits you more. After the singing stops, the instrumentation gets really good. The subtle cymbals are perfect. It just closes so nicely and really wraps up the second half of the album better.

Give it time.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    I've listened to the album quite a few times, even moreso for Videotape. I agree Thom's vox for it are amazing, cause they always were, but I still find the rest of the track to be lacking. I just pray to God that they don't fuck up Last Flowers.

The drummer in my band is hoping MK1 and MK2 are alternate versions of Videotape. I thought it was a nice try.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    I understand why you all miss the climax in Videotape. I did initially.

But the way they did it here is so genius. Especially if you're a dork and know the early versions. It keeps you waiting for this final buildup. And it never comes. It leaves you hanging. AND THAT'S THE POINT. It's beautifully heartbreaking.
  • postit%s's Photo

I understand why you all miss the climax in Videotape. I did initially.

But the way they did it here is so genius. Especially if you're a dork and know the early versions. It keeps you waiting for this final buildup. And it never comes. It leaves you hanging. AND THAT'S THE POINT. It's beautifully heartbreaking.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was alluding to with the whole We Suck Young Blood analogy. That song kind of works because it doesn't go balls to the wall with that dancy-breakdown, which is like the whole point of that song.

I'm trying with Videotape. And yes, I can understand your arguments. The first time I heard it, I didn't let myself see the track times so I couldn't tell how long stuff lasts, because I wanted to be more surprised by how each track built and such. Anyway, when Videotape built up with all that instrumentation and the electronic-ish drums at the end, I was hoping for a reprise or such of the "this is my way of saying goodbye" with explosiveness. That would have been awesome. Eh, probably not artistic. =D

So yeah, this album is pretty amazing, if I say so myself. I lowered my expectations, but I think I'm ready to say that In Rainbows is better than Hail To The Thief, at least.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I listened to it last night as I lay in bed winding down after a busy day; once through then the headphones came off. Right now I'm underwhelmed. I guess it's a probably I have as I've become somewhat of a musician myself; I listen and often think about "if I was calling the shots is this how it would've come together" more often as not it's better that the answer be no; this time however I'm not so sure. I just feel like the whole album showed a little bit too much artistic restraint.

Who among us didn't want the last "It's Alright" in All I Need to take an extra four measures thus turning it into "It's Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight" as the band broke down behind it. And am I the only person in the world that misses the glockenspiel on Nude? Sure the organ had to go and I like the new bass part and the way the guitars come together but the glockenspiel and guitar-outro on the 'old version' were so good.

Anyway I'll need to give it a good couple weeks to set in; and actually to be realistic I'm going to need to wait until I hear it off of the vinyl and/or cds because as it is the album's production sounds kinda flat and bloated to me... Which can't possibly be right; Nigel's never fucked the EQ up before... It has to be compression as a result of file conversion or something.

Oh and right now I have In Rainbows wrestling with the Bends, which puts it firmly behind HTTT, Kid A, and OK Computer, but ahead of Amnesiac and Pablo Honey. Sadly this is far outside of the realm of my favorite albums (OKC, Kid A, The Moon and Antarctica, Funeral, Emergency & I, Loveless, etc).

Ride6
    1:03 of Bodysnatchers:
    Everything that's bad about Radiohead, right there, in one place.
    I'd rather listen to Wolf Eyes than sit thru that atonal warbly bullshit.
    Way to fuck up the song guys.

Thom:
    Way to fuck up the album, guy.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    That 'warbly bullshit' is Ondes Martenot played by Jonny and it kicks ass.

I'm warming up to the album more BTW, as if you couldn't tell.

Ride6
    se be good please be good please be good please be good plea

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading