Theme Park Discussion / World's Tallest Water Ride

• FullMetal%s's Photo
    http://www.holidaywo...om/new2009.html

Freakin' A. That's all I have to say.
  • posix%s's Photo
    seen this earlier in the tpr newsletter. looks like yet another loveless record-seeking ride ...
  • Highball%s's Photo
    and its called pilgrims plunge why? all i saw was bushes for theming.
  • MF72 %s's Photo
    It's probably going in the Thanksgiving section of the park, so they named it for the Pilgrims. You know, the first Thanksgivign.
  • gir%s's Photo
    I bet Perilous Plunge is better.
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    Pilgrims = awesome.
  • nin%s's Photo

looks like yet another loveless record-seeking ride ...

couldn't agree more.
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    ^Agreed, however it does have an interesting lift technique though.
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    What qualifies a ride as "loveless?" (record-setting requires no definition, as it is quantitative, as opposed to qualitative, in nature)

Furthermore, yes, RCTNW, it does. In fact, I once imagined something like it in my brain. Have you ever heard of the Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours? It is probably the most major attraction (thrill-wise) in my ****ing awesome town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. Anyways, you get in a boat and go through rapids. ANYWAYS, I once imagined it going all the way to Niagara Falls and being pulled up via a caged elevator.
  • MF72 %s's Photo
    I kind of hate when parks just try to break records. Like CP for example. All they wanted to do was just break Steel Dragon 2K's record. They wouldn't have wasted 25 mil on a coaster like TTD if SD2K hadn't been built. Luckily, they avoided that sorta competition and built Maverick. But it seems that all parks are just building for records, not just for families to have fun.

Edited by Sternkrieg72, 27 August 2008 - 02:27 PM.

• Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    I agree with that, these stratacoasters are like a 3 hour wait for a 1 minute ride.

That said, Millennium Force, which broke 12 records (tallest, fastest, longest drop, first over 300 feet, first elevator lift, steepest non-inversion banking, first with some kind of special breaks, most rides, most roller coasters, most steel roller coatsers, most feet of roller coaster track, most roller coasters over 200 feet), at least, is often considered to be the best coaster in the world.

Frankly, give me a floorless or inverted coaster with 6+ inversions any day.
  • mattec222%s's Photo
    It might not be much, but it will lead to new developments in water rides of the future. Everything needs a start, look at early looping rides, they were pretty boring, but they lead to some of the rides, which today, we consider great.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo

I bet Perilous Plunge is better.

This is definitely less impressive. 10 ft taller, but with a *very* shallow drop. But I'm not too fond of Perilous Plunge, so who knows. Regardless, a waterride definitely seems like a good choice.

BTW, if anyone wants to hang out, I'm planning on visiting on Saturday. KI Sunday. Should be packed.
  • Comet%s's Photo
    I love the dual lift hill how one can be going down and one can be going up at the same time.
    And you guys need to understand how great of a marketing strategy it is to have record-breaking rides.

They were going to have a flume ride in the first place, so why not make it record-breaking? There is nothing 'loveless' about that.

Also there is going to be more then just shrubbery around it they just haven't solidified the plans yet that's why there's nothing in the videos and concept art.
  • FullMetal%s's Photo

I love the dual lift hill how one can be going down and one can be going up at the same time.

Very innovative, I think. But I still think it's kind of weird how both elevator lifts bend outward and then come back in. It's a very subtle bend, but looking at it gives me an uneasy feeling. But yeah, totally awesome lift.

Also there is going to be more then just shrubbery around it they just haven't solidified the plans yet that's why there's nothing in the videos and concept art.

I rememeber concept art for the Voyage, when they had released the plans for the Thanksgiving section. It doesn't look much like what they planned. The layout of the buildings different, and it seems more "Thanksgivingy" in the concept art. I still think they should have done Chinese New Year.

You also have to realize that Holdiay World--despite the name--has a very minimalistic approach to theming. Most of the rides have little touches that allude to their theme. The Raven, for example, has only a victorian manor for its station. Nothing more, nothing less. The Voyage has "nautical" decorations along the queue and in the station, and that's about it. So I don't expect Pilgrim's Plunge to have a heavy theme.
  • CedarPoint6%s's Photo
    The station should be themed pretty well, judging by the current state of Thanksgiving land in the park.

And the shallow drop is something I would take over a steep drop any day. It's like Dorney's flume-- there's much more time to think about what's happening as your speed builds and builds before hitting the bottom. That's what will make this awesome. And the fact that the lift will be incredibly open and tilt to the side on the way up. That's very cool.

Along with the rest of Holiday World, this is going to be fantastic.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo

Very innovative, I think. But I still think it's kind of weird how both elevator lifts bend outward and then come back in. It's a very subtle bend, but looking at it gives me an uneasy feeling. But yeah, totally awesome lift.

Mack has been using an elevator system that works the same way. Both companies offer almost exactly the same product, except that I don't think Mack has gone nearly this high before. I'd assumed this was Mack before I read the builder, since they've been having more success recently with the chute rides. Maybe Intamin is making a comeback in that area.
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    While it sounds cool technically and all, i think it looks big, tall and ugly. making a really big water ride doest really impress me as much as making it look good would.

FK
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    Oh, come on! That was funny! That's the best laugh I've had all day.

I agree with Xcoaster, though. It does have a very shallow drop. It actually looks like a good 60 degree angle in some pictures.

I'm also interested in seeing what kind of technical problems this ride will run into. And does anyone know what the one in Europe is called?
  • Comet%s's Photo
    What's the one in europe?
    And it's a 45 degree drop.

Only disappointing thing for me is the OTSR, why?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading