Contests / The Next Contest

• K0NG%s's Photo
    Ok, here's an outline of what I've come up with so far:

"Pros" would include anyone with Parkmaker status or a Gold or above accolade.
    "Ams" would obviously be everyone else.
    4 man teams (1 Pro-3Ams) chosen by a draft process (3 rounds) preceded by a public poll ranking the entered Pros to determine the draft order.
    4 rounds of competition (3 qualifying rounds and one final) with all teams competing against each other in the qualifying rounds with a public poll voting on anonymous entries using a scale of 1-20 (same as the accolade panel polls work) with scores accumulating over the first 3 rounds.
    Teams choose who builds in each qualifying round with the only stipulation being that every team member must be part of at least one entry and the Pro can only build twice max in the 3 qualifying rounds.
    The 4 teams with the highest accumulated total points after 3 rounds would face off in the final round with all 4 team members being eligible to work on the entry.

Feedback (particularly regarding map size and time limits) would be much appreciated.
  • nin%s's Photo
    Ok, now that the Pros are given clear qualifications then the contest is so much better. It seems like a more strict H2H, with smaller teams and less rounds.
  • turbin3%s's Photo
    A public poll would suck.
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    The last full competition we had was team based. Why can't we just do something basic such as Hi-Rollers or Pro Tour?
  • Comet%s's Photo
    Teams inspire people to finish and push their limits
    I prefer teams personally
  • J K%s's Photo
    As well thought out as that sounds If we're going to go for a team thing I'd much rather have a H2h. A solo contest would be great to inspire those wanting to take that next step out of a team and let them present their work alone.

Just another thought to this developing brainstorm.
  • Cena%s's Photo

Ok, here's an outline of what I've come up with so far:

"Pros" would include anyone with Parkmaker status or a Gold or above accolade.
    "Ams" would obviously be everyone else.
    4 man teams (1 Pro-3Ams) chosen by a draft process (3 rounds) preceded by a public poll ranking the entered Pros to determine the draft order.
    4 rounds of competition (3 qualifying rounds and one final) with all teams competing against each other in the qualifying rounds with a public poll voting on anonymous entries using a scale of 1-20 (same as the accolade panel polls work) with scores accumulating over the first 3 rounds.
    Teams choose who builds in each qualifying round with the only stipulation being that every team member must be part of at least one entry and the Pro can only build twice max in the 3 qualifying rounds.
    The 4 teams with the highest accumulated total points after 3 rounds would face off in the final round with all 4 team members being eligible to work on the entry.

Feedback (particularly regarding map size and time limits) would be much appreciated.

I like what yo have so far K0NG, I will be online tonight, so we can talk then :)
  • JDP%s's Photo
    I think we should have a contest to see who the next NE parkmaker will be.

We'll have 16 of NE's best non-parkmakers go at it in a championship style tournament. All of the non-parkmakers will be picked by actual parkmakers. Every non-parkmaker will be assigned a seed number and the highest seed will face off against the lowest seed. So if I am the 16th seed and Robbie is the 1st seed, he would be the person I will go up against first.

After the first round is over, it would be down to eight contenders, then four, and of course then the final two.

Round one will only be a 50x50 park map limit and anything over is disqualified.
    Round two will be a 55x55 park map limit.
    Round three will be 60x60.
    Final Round, No limit.

R1 will be a stretch of 5 days for the contestants to build.
    R2 10 days
    R3 15 days
    FR 20 days

Votes will be casted by all the members of NE except the contenders.

The contest will roughly take about 2 months and seems to be pretty simple to do imo. I think a contest like this would be awesome for the site and the winning prize is more meaningful then anything else in the world of rct. Who knows how it could turn out. Maybe Robbie as an odds on fav can win or someone like Sammy can show up and shock us all.

Let me know what yall think.
    -JDP
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Too much work in too little time.
  • Themeparkmaster%s's Photo
    Nice idea but I agree with Liampie.

Hi-Rollers 2 with the highest placed non NE Parkmaker being elevated to parkmaker (at the admins discretion).
  • JDP%s's Photo
    well its obviously not official so the due dates could be extended
    -JDP
  • J K%s's Photo
    I'd really be up for a contest only for parkmakers to see some of the best entries this site has ever seen.
  • Splitvision%s's Photo
    I think it'd be cool to have a more stretched out competition. It could work a bit like h2h, though there could be a few more teams. Every team would meet the other teams twice, home and away if you want, so in a league with 10 teams that makes 18 games in one "season". The match format would be much smaller, micros perhaps. Then when the fixtures are all played the top four go into playoff or something. It would also be cool if the community was large enough to have several divisions... bottom two go down to division two (the highest division could be called the Elite League or something). Bottom two go directly down, top two of division two go up, the teams placed 8th and 7th in the Elite Leauge go into playoffs vs the 3rd and 4th placed teams in Division two. So just basically like most league systems. Though, every team is to have 4 members, and there are twenty teams (ten in top division and ten in the other) we'd need 80 active members... If only more people played rct :D Another cool possibilty within a system like this is off-season transfers, assuming the competition continues for several seasons.

I like K0NG's format a lot, I think it'd make for a very interesting competition.
  • K0NG%s's Photo
    I just had an idea about setting up teams for a Pro/Am. Since this is basically following a golf tournament format, maybe we could elect a committee that would assign the teams after the sign-up period instead. It might end up with more equal teams this way. Like I said...this is just an idea that popped into my head. It would build at least some suspense with no one but the committee knowing who's with who until it's posted and then begin the 1st round immediately.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i'm game, personally.
  • Cena%s's Photo

I'd really be up for a contest only for parkmakers to see some of the best entries this site has ever seen.

I don't agree here. A lot of people here have serious skills, however they didn't finished a full scale solo of spotlight quality yet. And as a bonus, the active parkmakers are busy with other stuff already I think.
  • nin%s's Photo

PT? :p
  • prodigy%s's Photo
    What would you think about a mix of team/pro-am/micro-madness - contest.
    Teams with four players, everybody builds an own 15x15-map, but the 4 maps have to match together... just an idea...

Otherwise I'm still for the Pro/Am-thing, but I would like to play as an Am, so I still think Pro's should only be Parkmakers.

In general I think, if it'll become a multi-round contest, the map-size should be 15x15 or 20x20 for a solo-contest, or between 30x30 and 60x60 for a team-contest, depending on the team-size. If it would be only one round it should be 50x50 for solo or between 80x80 and 150x150 for teams...
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    A more simple version of that would be better imo. Micro Madness bracket with a pro and an am doing a joint 20x20 micro. Last team standing wins. Tho we'd need 128 players for a full bracket, 64 for decent one and 32 for a small/quick one.
  • K0NG%s's Photo
    I think the "Pro" designations are going to depend on the amount of "Pro's" that sign up...therefore it could feasibly work out so that only Parkmakers would be Pros. With it being 1 Pro + 3 Ams per team it would obviously need to work out to 25% of entrants. The "Pro" designation is probably what I'm having the most difficulty with here. We could have a 'committee' that ultimately ranks the top 25% of all entrants as "Pro's", base it off of the original 'Parkmaker/Gold or above accolade' status or have it ranked by public poll. I'm looking for feedback on whether there should be a draft or have the same committe assign teams as well.

The thing about having all teams vs each other for the first 3 rounds allows for as many teams as there are quads of entrants so, there would be no set number of teams prior to team designations. This allows pretty much everyone that wants to enter into the contest.

I'm thinking that for the first 3 'qualifying' rounds, map size would be anything between 30x30 and 50x50 with a 6 week deadline for round 1, round 2 would be due 4 weeks after that, round 3 would be due 4 weeks after that and the final round would be between 60x60 and 90x90 due 4 weeks after the final 4 teams have been announced. Teams would be able to work on entries for future rounds at any time (much like H2H). After the deadlines, we could release 2 anonymous entries every other day to give people ample time to check them out and have a public poll for voting (1-20) that would be open for 72-96 hours from the posting of the final 2 entries for the round. This would allow things to carry over/blend and not have much dead time.

Obviously, any and all suggestions are welcome.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading