General Chat / Coolest City you have ever visited?

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    I can definitely say that Atlantic City is among the worst that I've been to, if that can be entered in this discussion.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo

Yeah I liked Cologne too, but there isn't much to see besides the cathedral...

"MFG"

Yes and no.. we found this great little bar with old puppets that sang, some pretty nifty food, and a very strange atmosphere that I really liked :). The cologne shop was cool.. and there is the way by the water which is impressive, some nice other churches. Generally, walking around was very pleasant.. an incredible amount of shopping >_<. And the cathedral is just really really impressive.

I wasn't really throwing Cologne down as one of my favorites anyways. Just close to Frankfurt :p.
  • Dantheman%s's Photo
    Worst city I have ever visited hmmmm maybe Breman pretty to look at but zero to do
  • Fisch%s's Photo

Frankfurt.. Frankfurt? You have got to be kidding me...

I liked Cologne, though.

What did you dislike about Frankfurt?
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    The Altstadt sucks?
  • Fisch%s's Photo
    I prefer the more modern type of city and Frankfurt is very modern. Who cares about the Altstadt? There are enough cities with a nice old center in Germany and Frankfurt really offers something new. I just think the whole region is pretty lovely compared to where I live. Frankfurt has a cool layout and also the skyline looks fantastic.
  • gir%s's Photo
    Never been to Frankfurt but its skyline has been my desktop for a while now. :) I would love to visit someday...
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    New York City.

Pretty much by default (I don't spend much time in cities, although sometimes I wish I VISITED more of them).
  • Dark_Horse%s's Photo
    Somebody should call K0NG, Wolfman has taken over Kevin_Enns account too.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    LA for sure. Of course I'm biased because I LOVE CALIFORNIA (arguably the best state of all 50), but seriously, LA has it all (or rather SoCal in general, but basically LA encompasses the entire area). Hollywood has the touristy stuff, but places like Little Tokyo, Koreatown, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Long Beach, Olvera St., La Brea, etc. all have their own unique charm. There are parties, culture, shopping, beaches, skiing (only an hour or two away...), hiking in Griffith Park, etc. Best of all? Great ethnic food--- authentic Mexican due to the proximity, authentic Asian food of all kinds due to immigration, and even Ethiopian food in little Ethiopia haha.

Edited by AvanineCommuter, 22 April 2010 - 10:54 PM.

• Evil WME%s's Photo
    I might have a bit biased opinion about Frankfurt as I've only been there once. We were driving from Prague and wanted to stop in Cologne, but due to traffic, did not make it.

The hostel we got was nice, it was late at night and we went for some drinks. We asked around and went to this one place, one friend got in, second one next to me didn't (Chinese/hat?). It started pouring rain and we asked for directions to a second club, took a taxi to there.

Lots of foreigners outside, that couldn't get in. We tried, neither of my friends were allowed in. (other one was wearing a che guevara t-shirt)

I went to ask what's up with that and they wanted me to go in until they noticed that I wanted to come in with my two friends. Then they shoveled me out, too.

Then one of these guys just talks to the two big german security guards, and starts to run. The big bullies ran after him, hitting him quite hard in the process. Then the bullies came back and screamed 'Was machst du hier?'..

We decided to go, obviously.

We finally found some kind of small toko, with all of the rejected people (or so it felt like) where beer was still too expensive and well, yeah, it wasn't that great.

I slept for a couple of hours and went out into the city during daytime before the drive home (I did not (and still do not) drive). I noticed most of the city is made up of big ass ugly modern buildings. I remember liking the market that I walked through a bit.

But overall, leaves you with the feeling of a lousy city :).

Not much one for modern anyways. Give me nice, quaint, historical and good atmosphere!

Modern buildings are everywhere, too. Yuck.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Tokyo. All the way.
  • bdawgtk1982%s's Photo
    I haven't been to any cities outside of the US... my mom thinks Disney world is the place to go...I'm 18 and I've been there 12 times...

I suppose my favorite place I've been is either Austin or San Antonio
  • wheres_walto%s's Photo
    I'd say either Dublin or Ottawa in February.
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    Chicago. Great skyline, great area, Wrigley Field was great, Sears Tower (even more amazing with the glass skyboxes), great pizza, and some great museums and art galleries to check out. Probably the highlight of the midwestern U.S
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    ^Agreed, although it is a drive less than an hour from where I am. In the Chicago area, there is a large town called Gary. Basically it sucks, abandoned mills, gangs, murkey lakes. Just about every street has abandoned buildings and flop houses and some buildings look like they belong on life after people. I'm not surprised it is the 5th worst city in America, considering how run-down it looks.

I like DC, because it is beautiful, and has many museums and land marks.
  • Milo%s's Photo
    ^Scary, Indiana?

last time I was there a paint factory was on fire... needless to say we were just passing through.
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    Cape Town all the way!

Buenos Aires and Caracas were awesome as well.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    I love my two "home cities." New Orleans is an icredible mix of food, culture, music, and fun that can only be found here, and has a charm unlike any other city in the country imo. Toronto is a great international city, with friendly locals and diverse offerings. I love them both!
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

^Scary, Indiana?

last time I was there a paint factory was on fire... needless to say we were just passing through.

:p Yeah, actually one of my friend's father is a fireman in Gary. It has to be pretty man to do that. He told me a man was messing around with a spud gun and blew off his scalp. I've seen many shacks and abandoned buildings on fire there. It is the city you wouldn't want to leave your car.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading