Contests / Which would YOU prefer?

If NE were to do a contest this summer what would you prefer it be?

• Levis%s's Photo
    Let me give an idea. its a mix between some contests.

First of there will be some nations which will compete. Lets say:
    - Netherlands
    - US
    - UK
    - Germany
    - Korea (?)
    - Others (the rest of the people who dont fit in one of those)

Now every country need to have a kind of captain so there is one person to contact for a country.
    This captain can participate himself. the only thing he has to do is say who is going to do what and send in the submissions.

There will be (for example) 10 round. which can vary in assigment. for example:
    - build the best wooden coaster
    - build the best water ride
    - build the best adventure ride
    - build the best hotel
    - build the funniest park
    etc

Every country has a fix ammount of submissions they can send in (for example 15). they are free to use them in every way. so for example they could send in 15 submission in 1 round and none in any other round.
    In every round points will be given for the position which is gained. for example

1st place = 10 points
    2nd place = 7 points
    3th place = 4 points
    4th place = 2 points
    5th place = 1 point

Now all teams can submit things. Let say for example a team has these places:

round 1:
    round 2:
    round 3:
    round 4:
    round 5:
    round 6:
    round 7:
    round 8:
    round 9:
    round 10:

then the they have a total score of: 70 points.
    There is a possibilty to have subcompetitions also.
    For example say 4 rounds involve coaster design. You can make a different competition in those rounds then. A team could try to win those for rounds and be the best coaster creating nation while they lose all the other rounds so in the total competition end up somewhere on the 3th place or so.

I think the best way to organise it. is to make a subforum for every nation. if someone wants to participate in his nation he has to pm/mail (or whatever) the captain of the nation and if that captain agrees he will be let in the team. The teams wont have a maximum ammount of players. Every submission can be done by multiple persons. there is no max in there. so if you want to build every submission with 5 people you can.
    I think all rounds and deadlines should be showed at the start. or if you for example have 20 rounds. you show the first 10. and after that announce the next 10.
    In that way. slower builders can go for later rounds. I think its nice to have a deadline every 1 or 2 weeks.
    I think its best to have judges who look at the submissions because if you let people choose it could end up being everyone voting for his own country.

Personally I also think you should limit people to a bench. cause not every country has people who can make objects etc. so it would be unfair if they can make theire own objects to win.

its still a crude idea and could use some more work. but I think it could work and be very nice.
    You could for example think to have some kind of final also. Let the top 3 or 4 countries make a fullscale park as final which can give a certain ammount of points. or something like that. Or you could make some extra prices. Like a award for the best hack which gives a 5 point bonus. and a award for the best foilage etc. Things which aren't in the assigments it self but can give some points in the end. In that way a team which is behind could still win because they focus on such a aspect. Also you could for example give bonus points if a team manage to get the first, seccond and thirt place. Its a risk to try that cause you know you can win more points if you submit two entries in two rounds then 3 in one round and one in another round. so if there is a bonus for a top 3 it would motivate countries to try it one time. it would mean they have to use all of theire top players (probally) so it would give a veryspecial round (espacially if one team hears about it and tries to prevent it).

what do you think of it?
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    sounds ace. really good idea.
  • Cena%s's Photo
    Hmm, just when Quest for the best is gonna happen, Levis comes up with a better idea ... I think atleast. 
  • Levis%s's Photo
    as I understood the QFTB wont last that long (I guess about 4 months if you take the extentions into account). and its a fact that organising a contest (especially of this scale) takes some time. so even if you began prepping the contest now. you would probally be done with prepping when the QFTB was done.
  • K0NG%s's Photo

I think its best to have judges who look at the submissions because if you let people choose it could end up being everyone voting for his own country.

Personally I also think you should limit people to a bench. cause not every country has people who can make objects etc. so it would be unfair if they can make theire own objects to win.

As for judges.....well, they come from somewhere too. Plus, we'd have to have a multitude of different preferences represented so that a certain style (realism, fantasy, etc.) wouldn't be favored. Maybe some kind of combination of a judging panel plus public vote. Public vote is always good because it allows non-participants to be involved in the contest.....particularly in a large scale contest such as this would be....which in turn brings more people to the site during the event.

I don't think penalizing any team/country for being able to make objects is right. Would we also not allow hacking because some countries have people that are inferior at it? IMO, hacking and object making are both part of the skillset that it takes to be above average park builders.

Otherwise, this sounds real promising.
  • Splitvision%s's Photo
    That is a nice idea but I just feel the "others" category will be too weak to have any chance of winning. I don't know that many players from outside the major NE countries... Me, belgianguy and RCfanB&M, and if I remember correctly there's a portugese member here too, and probably a few other players that isn't that active here or that I just don't recall at the moment. Almost not even enough to fill a whole team. I mean we're all decent players, especially BG and rctfanB&M but the other countries has such a range of great players available. Maybe volunteers from the major countries could fill in the missing slots? I have no idea why they'd want to do that since their national team much likely is a lot stronger, but the numbers has got to be even.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    ^Austria isn't a major NE country either. So I could help too. :-)

'MFG'
  • Splitvision%s's Photo
    I've always though you were dutch, that was why I didn't include you... I'm very glad I were wrong though! Well then, 5dave, BG and RCFanB&M... Maybe we don't have such a bad lineup after all :D But we need a few more. If Janus was still around...
  • Levis%s's Photo

'MFG'

I believe J K is from australia so he would fit in the category also ;) .
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i thought he was from the uk?
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    He is.
  • Maverick%s's Photo
    Wow someone suggested Park Wars... That's going back a ways. This Olympic idea sounds interesting. I'm also up for micro and h2h as I cannot finish anything bigger than a single coaster it seems. I'd also be interested in another IAAPA which is less of a contest and more of an overview of the community.
  • prodigy%s's Photo
    I really like Levis' RCT-World-Cup idea, and will definitely join the next official contest.
  • Maverick%s's Photo
    Levis' idea may need to be modified if there's an excess of players from one country. Maybe perhaps splitting into geographic regions in that case?
  • X_Fusion%s's Photo
    The countries with few players in my opinion should join ...
  • RCFanB&M%s's Photo

'MFG'

Let's kick some ass dave.

Sounds interesting, not sure about how well it would work out, but it's good to have new contest choices.

The reason I checked this topic was to suggest sort of a long term schedule for contests, so we could avoid the whole "contest debate" everytime people feels like competing. It'd be something just like sports. For example, RCT World cup every 4 years, PT every 3 years, H2H every 2 years, yearly Micro Madness, and so on. I know it sounds crazy, but that's the point: not missing the chance. That way people would take more seriously contests, and wouldn't be like "Oh whatever, i'm sure next year another contest will be held, I can still have my moment to shine". Many of you may think NE is not lasting that long, I admit I had thought that some time last year, but it's been 8 years since this site was born, why not 8 more? NE4 is a big push for this community growth, we have a worlwide ranking, so personally I think this long term schedule could definitely work.
  • J K%s's Photo
    I think it's really interesting that Austria may not have many players but Dave could get gold for his country by submitting a park and winning the category. We need to take advantage of the fact that everyone is from a different country. Sure they may not be able to compete in the team rounds say if you're RCFanB&M or Xfusion but I think it's special that you're the only people representing your country.

I have an Rct Olympics idea that I've wanted to suggest for a while. I'm going to write something down soon so I can get some feedback.
  • Splitvision%s's Photo
    What would be nice is if there was atleast a dozen players from the countries represented here. Then it could work like in real life, with the national team consisting of a set number of spots, like 5, and then a coach (who might or might not participate in the actual construction of parks) selects who get to represent the countries. Of course this is possible for like the US, UK, Germany and Holland, but the other countries doesn't have that luxury. That would be pretty cool though, those four countries in a small "NE WC" face-off, with the teams chosen like described above, two semifinals and then a grand final, to crown the best RCT country (among those four). It's a real shame we don't have more countries with atleast 5 players (well we'd need atleast four more of them to extend the number of finals) because then we could expand this concept to work just like the real WC.
  • Splitvision%s's Photo
    Sorry for doublepost but I thought it was appropriate. I just made a quick run-through of how many members from each country that have been online the last month. This is the results:

Argentina - 1
    Australia - 3
    Austria - 1
    Brazil - 2
    Canada - 15
    France - 1
    Germany - 24
    Hong Kong - 1
    India - 1
    Israel - 1
    South Korea - 2
    Holland - 32
    Portugal - 1
    Singapore - 1
    Spain - 1
    Sweden - 3
    UK - 32
    US - 157

I know this doesn't really reflect on how many players that are active from each country, since I know there are players who haven't been on here for a month (and therefore not included) that most probably still play, and vice versa. Plus, it's summer (well in the northern hemisphere, were most of us are), so those numbers are probably increased. Also everyone's current location given by the IP does not have to be their home country, they might just be on vacation there. Still, it gives just a little hint on how the activity looks ATM. It's really fun to see there actually are players from all over the world who comes here. I had no idea Brazilians played RCT :lol: Based on these statistics, five teams could compete in a competition like the one I described above. Of course, there were many countries where the total of players was equal to or greater than 5, but most of them were active years ago for the last time. Russia, for example, have like 12 players, though all of them seems to have mysteriously joined and disappeared in 2006... But it would maybe be possible to take contact with everyone who was last active, say sometime this year, and hear if they'd be interested in a potential call up to their respective national team. If they get PM'd they'll recieve an e-mail (unless they have the option turned off) and so they'll get notified of it even though they haven't been on here for like half a year.
  • J K%s's Photo
    I love that idea!!! I really want to see the site reach out to more foreign players. I still think olympics over the world cup only because there can be teams in the olympics system as well as solo competition.

The netherlands and the Uk are drawing :p

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading