(Archive) Advertising District / Horsetooth

• RamSam12%s's Photo
    After Woodfall, I decided it is best for my next park to not be confined to the unwritten expectations that come with building a corporate park like Cedar Fair or Six Flags. Hopefully this will work out better for building a park which I don't have to conform to anything to make it realistic. Anyways, after a summer break, it's time to get another project going. Got started not too long ago on this, so barely anything done here.

As always, lets start off the park with a bit of background history. Located in Fort Collins, Colorado at the end of the Overland Trail, the park traces its roots back to 1947 when it was land owned by a family at the base of the Rocky Mountains overlooking Horsetooth Rock to the west. This is where the park was all started with "The Dragon" wooden roller coaster. The whole park grew from this one coaster that was built by PTC and Herbert Schmeck.

Posted Image
    The Dragon

Posted Image
    Outside the main entrance are some off site attractions like a pub operated by the local New Belgium Brewing Company.

Posted Image
    Instead of a typical Intamin tower, Dive Bomb is a 246ft Moser drop tower.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    This is looking really nice! A huge step up from Woodfall, and I loved that thing.
  • dr dirt%s's Photo
    That last screen is classy.
  • Comet%s's Photo
    This is looking great
    It's simple stuff like this that makes me really miss the game
  • Welshcraft%s's Photo
    The wooden coaster looks classic, Reminds me of playing RCT1.
  • F0ndue%s's Photo
    Everything loks great,but I donĀ“t like the colors of the Gyro Drop.
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    Everything looks great, Sam. I love how the exit path for Dragon foes right underneath, it gives the peeps the chance for that one special shot. Really nice.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    I'm not feeling alot of the textures and shapes on the structures on the first two screens, but I think if you work on those a little you'll be set. I love all of your work, so Im very excited to see were you take this.
  • F0ndue%s's Photo
    Whats the difference between the Moser drop and the Inta Gyro Drop
  • RamSam12%s's Photo
    Thanks for the comments so far guys!

To address a few points and provide some more insight on this project. First off, this project has taken a few steps backwards since I created these screens. Dragon will be moved to a different location in the park where the architecture will be more refined and better than the first screen. This was to accommodate a larger coaster in this area that better fits the terrain of the park and will allow for more room in the end. Still figuring out what all I want in the park and placement of everything, so there's still time for suggestions. I'll try to get another screen ready after not too long.

I plan to re-do the drop tower queue to make it more circular as that was the goal in the first place. The colors of the ride are pretty much final as they a tribute to the Colorado A&M Aggies since this is a Fort Collins based park. I went with a Moser tower instead of Intamin because Colorado already has a great Intamin drop tower. Also I didn't want a S&S since my last park had one, so with Busch Gardens Williamsburg getting a Moser tower next year I figured one would be good here too since they aren't much different from Intamin ones.
  • djbrcace1234%s's Photo
    Personally I love how the woodie is in that first screen, but I understand. My layouts are never quite concrete in structure because I tend to fiddle with layouts a lot.

I liked the tower quene line myself as well because it had that old look to a still very modern ride.

Still, however, I like what I see.

Can't wait to get my hands on this park. :-D
  • zburns999%s's Photo
    Can't put my finger on it, but the first screen makes me think of the Kipper Dipper in that h2h park Phatage did. Looks awesome man. If this is anything like Woodfall I see a gold or better in your future.
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    Huge step up from Woodfall (which I already really liked)
  • RamSam12%s's Photo
    Thanks for the additional good word guys. This will indeed be better than Woodfall; in terms of architecture and park design, as well as a park I would prefer to visit in real life!

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Horsetooth Amusement Park had looked into relocating Drachen Fire from Busch Gardens Williamsburg when the ride was closed down and listed for sale. They decided that because of the ride's problems at Busch Gardens, it would be better to start over and have a new one built the way it was supposed to - as a B&M. Ten years after the debut of the original, Horsetooth Amusement Park opened their first B&M called Crossfire. When Drachen Fire was demolished, a section of track was saved and used for the ride entrance sign for Crossfire."
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    This looks very nice! As I told you on AIM, the queue is wonderful with its landscape interaction, and that station building is quite elegant! Same goes for the photo booth.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    So wait... A Drachen Fire clone made by B&M? Or am I reading it wrong?

Anyway, I think it would be better if the station was more open feeling, and maybe do something with the roof, I you could detail it better somehow...
    Youve probablly seen This picture hundreds of times before but look at it agian and maybe try and replicate it a little better.
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    Wow, wasn't expecting this at all! B&M Drachen Fire sounds awesome. I like how you used part of the original track was used here. Nice!
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Austin, Drachen Fire was originally contracted to B&M as a counterpart to Kumba, hence the elements like the cobra roll and the (zero-g camelback). However, I think because of prices or something like that, BGW went with Arrow for the design, who maintained some elements of the original design while tweaking the others. RamSam is making his coaster be like the one BGW should've received a while back but didn't.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    No I knew that, I just didnt know If I was reading it right. Its a cool idea, actually.
  • J K%s's Photo
    Love the screens, really nice finish on all of them. Love the diagonals you have also created.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading