(Archive) Advertising District / Leon's stuff [RCT2 & RCT3] - Baroque.

• leonidas%s's Photo
    As my planned projects are starting to bore me, I'm trying new stuff,
    and try to find something fresh and new to do.

Those small attempts will be shown in this topic from now on,
    as I don't want to fill the "Dump place" with my work.

Being bored by RCT3, I installed rct2 recently, and I'm enjoying learning CSO,
    and 8cars. The happy charming atmosphere of rct2 is what I right need now.

To start off I did this architectural experiment, obviously to learn the objects
    and how to use them.

Posted Image
    Ignore the failed editing, it was an exercise in presentation.
    It is kind of charming in my opinion, though, haha.

Posted Image
    The pathing and realistic detail will be my next challange, this is just strictly
    architectural.

Posted Image
    I've already been doing some lay-outs and supporting.
    I'm obviously having issues with the "zero clearance" option.
    When I use shift to raise the support connector it leaves traces,
    and when trying to delete those even more appear.

Advise or advise are extremely welcome! ;)/>/>
  • musicman%s's Photo
    The tower seems odd somehow, maybe it would look better as part of a larger building. Other than that, it looks pretty nice.
  • K0NG%s's Photo
    You have to be very, very careful when using zero clearance with anything but 1/4 tile objects. If full tile objects cross another full tile object's path while in ZC, you'll get those 'ghost' objects that can sometimes be extremely difficult to get rid of.

Archy looks real nice though.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    The top looks very odd... I think you're better off with a flat roof. Maybe we should do a gothic church death match sometime. I've never seen a convincing gothic church in RCT2 yet!
  • leonidas%s's Photo

The tower seems odd somehow, maybe it would look better as part of a larger building. Other than that, it looks pretty nice.

It will of course be part of one Gothic church, thanks.

You have to be very, very careful when using zero clearance with anything but 1/4 tile objects. If full tile objects cross another full tile object's path while in ZC, you'll get those 'ghost' objects that can sometimes be extremely difficult to get rid of.

Archy looks real nice though.

Thanks for the advice, Kong. Now I think about it, that makes perfect sense.

The top looks very odd... I think you're better off with a flat roof. Maybe we should do a gothic church death match sometime. I've never seen a convincing gothic church in RCT2 yet!

Yeah I know, I couldn't find a roof that was steep enough. I tried the flat roof but somehow this tower works up towards a peak. I know, many medieval churches didn't get finished and designs that were supposed to have a peak top, just ended up having a sudden flat roof. I'll try to achieve that look, but it's hard.

A contest would be great! And I'll be honored to try it out, even with my few weeks of experience, haha.

Btw, I was inspired by an RCT3 project of mine, I did like two years ago, yet it was more of an Late-Gothic Cathedral, like the one in Antwerpen.

Posted Image
    I know, the pink window is fucked up, but it was hard to find an alternative back then, I might redo it, strip some details, make the ship and inside. :p
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I can give you advise if you're looking for specific objects... http://www.nedesigns...world-showcase/ has steep roofs.

Tell me when you're ready for the contest. I am!
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    Wow shit, that looks like a way better bench for me right now..
    I'm using Louis' one, but it's too general for my historical interest I guess.

And, bring it on, I can't wait!
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    I love how in the edited version that looks like it's just the top of a tower but it actually is the whole tower.
    Great work on the tower and the buildings !
  • posix%s's Photo
    I think the tower looks gorgeous, however it's as if it's lower part should be removed. Feels almost as if it was dug out of the ground. I also really like the screen editing you did there. Nice idea.
  • TMH%s's Photo
    That looks really beautiful leon. The architecture is some of the nicest I've seen in this game.
    The Dutch (?) buildings are especially nice.
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    [font=times new roman]A FICTIONAL TOWN[/font]

I've had a busy period of school, but in between I still found some time to slowly develop a new RCT3 project!

It's based on one skyscraper I once made with the intention of creating a New-York-ish environment in the 30's,
    I never got any further than two buildings, and now after more than a year, maybe even two, I wanted to pick
    it up again, but with other accents and goals.

I wanted it to be contemporary, but the history is still visible, this will give me freedom of using multiple
    architectural styles, and for doing messy imperfections that make a town as atmospheric as they are.

Now It's still all work in progress, and I will mostly show the buildings itself, the facades as you guys
    are used to see by me. Yet, in the future I want this project not to be about the facades, not about their
    designs, shape and aesthetics, but the way they get overtaken by atmosphere, the total vibe, the totality
    of buildings, weather, people, traffic, billboards, light and shadow.

For now, let's stick to the buildings, and how they look:

Posted Image

Posted Image

More soon.
  • NGT Amusements%s's Photo
    awesome work bro! never knew modern structures look so good in RCT3
  • coasterfreak101%s's Photo
    Wow. The city and the fantasy stuff from this game is so much cooler than the theme parks...
  • leonidas%s's Photo

awesome work bro! never knew modern structures look so good in RCT3

Thanks NGT, nice to hear this from the person that is famous for his modern city structures!

Wow. The city and the fantasy stuff from this game is so much cooler than the theme parks...

I don't agree to be honest, but thanks anyway! :p

New impressions:

Posted Image

Posted Image

To be continued..
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    That looks very believable actually. Not the type of city I expected from you though... I'd expect a European type town, with a historic core center and newer layers on the outside, not a rationalized American CBD.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    This is perfect. I'm getting tired of seeing the same European-type town center with quaint brick structures and the like; it's nice to see someone realizing the potential and subtle diversity in the traditional American metropolis. Right now, this reminds me a TON of Chicago, which is great considering I'm attempting something similar in RCT2.

Best of luck with this!
  • Liampie%s's Photo

I'm getting tired of seeing the same European-type town center with quaint brick structures and the like;

I was referring to planning, not specifically architecture. :)
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    Liampie, the American block system is perfect for RCT, haha. Saves so much trouble..

I agree with Robbie, it's because of their small history, and their modern appeal cities like
    New york and Chicago interest me. You can barely call the European cities, "cities".
    This project is all about city atmosphere.

Thanks people. ;)
  • Liampie%s's Photo

You can barely call the European cities, "cities".

What is your definition of urbanity then? Dense highrise clusters?

I think it's interesting, but just say when you're not feeling like having this discussion in this topic. :)
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    I like it. It could use a bit more dirt though, if you're going for city atmosphere.
    That might be hard to accomplish though..

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading