Contests / New Element Design Challenge

• Dotrobot%s's Photo
    I think he means there are no paths that take up a full tile. Instead of skimping out on the edges like the ones that came with rct2.
  • K0NG%s's Photo
    No, he means that there are no full tile path objects...only diagonals. Which makes no sense to me. Please say that we can add the three full tile path blocks that go with the three diagonals that are already in the bench. I mean, they belong together. Having one without the other is useless. Sort of like the "Wood Pole-Diagonal-Edge-Richie" that's right-sided but not having the left-sided one.

And, I'm not gonna say one word about the water objects :p
  • posix%s's Photo
    It's good to have you guys feedback on the bench. That way we can make it better. If any changes will be allowed I'll let Louis decide because it's his bench.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    ^^Yeah, I agree. Path blocks would've been MAJORLY helpful, and I don't see them as ruling out any skill level, but would make our work only messier when we inevitably zero-clearance stuff onto path only for it to glitch...
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Hahaha your avatar is awesome.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    ^Haha, took long enough to notice it! It's quite possibly my favorite GIF. I can't let SSSammy have all the GIFfy-avatar fun!
  • Levis%s's Photo

Little disappointed though, i feel like fantasy got ruled out :(

it will be hard with this layout which doesn't really lend itself for interaction with buildings or anything like it, and with these objects, but not impossible. mostly I'm missing the quarter tile water blocks and sloped blocks. there is only the 1 and 2 high slopes while I'd often use the others also.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    So... No 1k corner pole, none of K0NG's wooden poles, and you left in all the B&M supports for a woodie design. WTF?!
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    I also really see no use in keeping the B&M supports in that bench. Can't remember them being used for any significant architecture like - ever. And with those rules, you could also easily say "guys, just don't build the additional steel coaster for which you could need the B&Ms".
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Oh, and the 1/4-tile thick grass? That's a commonly used object by pretty much all players... I'm honestly surprised to see that that's not on there.

It would've been awesome if this bench took recent scenery releases into consideration, or potential feedback from a few trusted members to make it "fuller." It seems to be missing a lot of commonly-used object; I don't care about rarer niche objects, but things like path blocks, the thick grass, the 1k corner pole, or even K0NG's wooden poles are all well-used these days, and extremely versatile. I know neither of you play RCT2 all that often anymore, or don't seem to, but it would've been nice to release the bench early enough for feedback, or go to a few people to get their opinion.
  • Dotrobot%s's Photo
    I say use belgian guy's bench with the B&M supports omitted.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    It's not a specially adapted bench. It was planned all along (since it was first put as GigaG's contest) that my standard bench would be used as K0NG's wasn't going to be ready in time.

As 5dave said in the Dump Place, this bench is going to be adapted as time goes on to become a newer official NE bench for contests, thats why objects like B&M supports are included, because its a standard contest bench. The bench will be adapted as time goes on, like said in the first post, it's a work in progress. Which is why we have asked for feedback so the bench can be adapted for future contests.

As many people have said, neither me or Posix really play RCT due to our only spare time being put into the site, so at least respect the effort put into the contest rather than bitching about whats wrong.

Feedback about objects has been taken on board and, as planned, the standard contest bench will adapt for the next contest, whenever that may be.
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    Still I think it should be updated immediatly if everybody says it's missing stuff
  • K0NG%s's Photo
    I'm not going to complain about objects, although I don't think it would hurt to allow for a few objects that everyone seems to agree are missing, to be added to this particular bench. But, this is what my first post was all about...why the 'non-alterable' rule is outdated and, IMO, unfair. I see some people here that seem to be completely content with the current object selection while others are obviously stressed over the limitations that they.....ok, we just had a quake here and I lost my train of thought. I'll continue this later.
  • Levis%s's Photo

I also really see no use in keeping the B&M supports in that bench. Can't remember them being used for any significant architecture like - ever. And with those rules, you could also easily say "guys, just don't build the additional steel coaster for which you could need the B&Ms".

take a look at the fusion survivor 3 map. I use it in archytecture in Futurica if I remember right ;) .

dont forget this bench is for all futur competitions and has to evolve so don't complain that much about it now but use your imagination and be creative. and then show which objects where useless and which would be better next time.
  • wildroller%s's Photo
    It would be nice if we had a few objects, but we don't and the more time you guys complain about not having certain objects, the less time you will have to actually work on this contest :D. I understand what's going on with this contest, it's a trial run to see if we can have more like it in the future, thus the flaws that are in the bench will not exist in future contests.

And as far as a standard unchangeable bench being unfair, there are a lot of things in contests such as these that could be seen as 'unfair', such as some people will having more time to actually play over the next 3 weeks than others. The nature of a contest is to work with the limitations given and turn out something nice!
  • K0NG%s's Photo
    ^ Yeah, sort of....but, the initial post in this thread stated that the unchangeable bench was intended to make things as fair as possible. And, my point is that it actually has the opposite effect. There are objects that some people live by...and building without them creates a need for major adjustments in their building style. I started building on this and got halfway through something, went to add the "Wooden Fence" (that's not only in every bench but, is default scenery as well) and realized it wasn't there...which caused me to have to delete everything that I'd just done since that was the only fence that worked properly in that particular situation. Look how well H2H5 turned out. Started with a selection of "standard" benches and people were allowed to interchange objects. As long as any bench is unchangeable....it will be flawed. Bottom line.

Also, things like the amount of time individuals have to build is something that's inherently 'unfair'...but, there's nothing that can be done about that.

I understand that this bench wasn't created specifically for this contest and (no offense) was also created by someone that admittedly doesn't play the game much. I've just never seen the need to limit people's creativity any more than the limits of the game already do. Having to build from the same layout and keep it intact creates enough of a 'level playing field' as it is.

BTW...the quake was only 3.7...but it was directly under us so it felt a fuck of a lot bigger. I've never actually been right on the epicenter of a quake before so it was a weird quake to me. Everything bounced up and down instead of shaking side-to-side.
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    talking about unfairness,

I actually believe it's unfair that RRP was allowed to enter the contest since he had full knowledge of the layout and could start making plans while waiting on the bench... I actually think that in the future the layout supplier should not be able to enter the contest he made the layout for for fairness...
  • RRP%s's Photo

^ Yeah, sort of....but, the initial post in this thread stated that the unchangeable bench was intended to make things as fair as possible. And, my point is that it actually has the opposite effect. There are objects that some people live by...and building without them creates a need for major adjustments in their building style. I started building on this and got halfway through something, went to add the "Wooden Fence" (that's not only in every bench but, is default scenery as well) and realized it wasn't there...which caused me to have to delete everything that I'd just done since that was the only fence that worked properly in that particular situation. Look how well H2H5 turned out. Started with a selection of "standard" benches and people were allowed to interchange objects. As long as any bench is unchangeable....it will be flawed. Bottom line.

Also, things like the amount of time individuals have to build is something that's inherently 'unfair'...but, there's nothing that can be done about that.

I understand that this bench wasn't created specifically for this contest and (no offense) was also created by someone that admittedly doesn't play the game much. I've just never seen the need to limit people's creativity any more than the limits of the game already do. Having to build from the same layout and keep it intact creates enough of a 'level playing field' as it is.

BTW...the quake was only 3.7...but it was directly under us so it felt a fuck of a lot bigger. I've never actually been right on the epicenter of a quake before so it was a weird quake to me. Everything bounced up and down instead of shaking side-to-side.

I don't see how having a restricted set of objects is unfair.Everyone has the same set to work with. How often does this community bang on about how creative people are when they use an object in a position it wasn't originally designed for?
    see: gravestone on roof for chimneys (even though they look nothing like it)

There is nothing wrong with this bench. It could have been the basic NCSO bench and there'd be no problem. Either think about how to 'creatively' use an object or compromise and don't do what you were trying to do.

Look at the objects you have to build with.Then either try and build what you envision with the tools you have or build what is possible.

talking about unfairness,

I actually believe it's unfair that RRP was allowed to enter the contest since he had full knowledge of the layout and could start making plans while waiting on the bench... I actually think that in the future the layout supplier should not be able to enter the contest he made the layout for for fairness...

I've disscussed this with posix and louis already.I didnt have access to the final contest bench or final contest layout prior to anyone else (i got the pm at the same time as everyone else) so didnt start early .

Also there is more than enough time to complete a good entry for this contest in the time allocated in my opinion. If i do have some sort of advantage from knowing the basics of the coaster layout and being able to think about it early. Then i should finish my entry first. This isn't an advantage in terms of results however. The amount of time you know about something compared with the amount of time your actually work on the entry will ultimately determine the quality overall.

This isn't a race to finish contest, if it was i'd understand your concern
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    People... RRP showed countless screens of the layout, including FULL overviews from all four sides, in GigaG's contest topic. It was also mentioned that one of the two he showed there would be the final coaster. I can't see how he has a larger advantage when you could've spent some time to look for the screens he showed and planned accordingly.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading