(Archive) Advertising District / Taboo

• Timothy Cross%s's Photo
    Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.
  • ivo%s's Photo
    Have you looked it ingame while smoking a joint? Nice. I would loe to try it aswell but I know everything on it so I don't think it would be that great...

I respond on the other comments later.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    I don't understand this one bit, but I think because of that it makes it even better! Looks awesome, some really original stuff here, a great breather from the usual screens we see. And that monorail and woodie look great!
  • leonidas%s's Photo

Posted Image

I don't think it's a matter of "understanding" in the way that there would be a story
    or context. If I look at this screen for example I see nothing else than a visual,
    graphic composition. The way the two colors 'touch', and how those trees cut into the
    glass and touch the green with the very point; It creates a visual tension that you simply
    have to feel, while I think many member here want to know a screen, judge
    the technique behind it, the story around it, and the way it could be real.

In my opinion RCT2 is perfect for these experiments. I enjoy it, and by judging the comments
    many others do too, and therefore it's great he's sharing it here.
  • ivo%s's Photo

I understand what i'm looking at, as far as the mechanics of RCT go (no base land, no land sides etc.), but I just don't understand why you're posting screens of them? I don't find it very interesting (yet).

Also, i'm not trying to say that I don't like it, or you should stop building like this.. Just that I don't see how you're enjoying doing it. There doesn't seem to be much end product (yet). Hopefully this will change when it's done.

In the collages I am moving away not only from the park approach but also from the fact that it needs to have realistic recognizeable parts. So no references to buildings, people and such. In collages I think they can distract from the experience.

^What he said. I don't get it, as interesting and artistical as it may look like, I just can't find any approach to this at all (at leas until now).

I don't get all the dutch naming which may clear it up - I don't know, I don't get the amount of train rides, I don't get the landscaping, I don't get the reference pictures and their relation to the topic, I don't get the statues and the editing of the screens ingame and with paint, I don't get the unfinished look of everything or at least where it will go, I don't get the more or less tame screens in between which have no relation whatsoever to the other screens, I don't get the texturing, colouring or placement of objects - so all in all, I don't get it.

I suppose you use RCT as some sort of canvas to create a vision, but IMO it isn't a great medium to do so as you only reach other RCT-players with it who don't really understand what's going on unless you explain the stuff. You seem to have great visions and ideas but I'd suggest using sketches (like the very interesting one in the first post), paintings and sculpture as a medium and make a fortune of it in a few years... ;)
    "MFG"

Thank you so much for your elaborated reply. I guess it represents the thoughts of most people on this site :)

There isn't much dutch naming in this (yet) as liampie metioned. The Grorudbanen is an attraction is based on an experience I had near Oslo. I booked a ticket with a friend. We went Oslo back when I was 16. When we arrived we had no idea what to do there. We bought a public transportation ticket for 3 days and we took the bussline which went the farest from the center. At the last bus-stop we went out and walked a few hunderd meter where we found a beautifull place in a very pure (forest) environment. We put our tent there and we stayed there for a few days. The second day we found out there was a house on the rock above us just a few meters away. The same day we found out there was a highway just a few hunderd meters away. We when got home I found out on google maps that there was a subway just below our tent. The reason there wasn't built anything on that little place of pure nature. The name of the suburb area was named Grorud. The trainline was called Grorudbanen.

The NSB wasn't referring to that dutch nazi party but to the Norges Statsbaner (Norwegian State Railways)

The reasons why I wanted to use rct for this project are the following. I know the community of this game very good. I am in this community for 5 years now. I know how the peope here deal with eachother. I know the general opinions and taboos of the community and I know how to use it the other way around. And it was nice to work in something where my technical abbilities are actually pretty good :lol: . The last reason is pretty hard to explain. Rct has such a peacefull atmosphere around it. Maybe it has something to do with the colours...

You educated guess stated that the game is more than just a park based game and more a toolbox. That opened my eyes to do some outgame editing. Which makes the interaction between different tools (photography, sketches, painting...) very small. That result that the screens will give a very different vieuw on this project that the ingame one. The screens are more evolved because I had more freedom. But the ingame experience has other things to offer that the screens can't give.

I don't really mind that doing this project in rct doesn't reach that much people. I don't really mind to not explain anything (which gives a nice outcome reading though the topic) and I don't mind explaining stuff.

Maybe you just want to shock us. Haha. It's definately interesting and different, but I think you can do more with another medium. Don't get me wrong, I find it very interesting but I can't get into this stuff at all. RCT for me is and always will be building parks or at least leisure facilities and stuff that is connected with them.

Yeah, there we just have a difference in opinion. No saying mine's better lol. I actually really like your approach to the game based on research in a realistic sense.

I don't think it's a matter of "understanding" in the way that there would be a story
    or context. If I look at this screen for example I see nothing else than a visual,
    graphic composition. The way the two colors 'touch', and how those trees cut into the
    glass and touch the green with the very point; It creates a visual tension that you simply
    have to feel, while I think many member here want to know a screen, judge
    the technique behind it, the story around it, and the way it could be real.

In my opinion RCT2 is perfect for these experiments. I enjoy it, and by judging the comments
    many others do too, and therefore it's great he's sharing it here.

I love to read trough these kind of experiences!
    Just wanted to say that those collages aren't actually composed and I kinda discovered them in my park. I think it would be very hard to achieve believabilty while carefully composing them. Although it is not impossible.

Also loads of thanks to all the other replies. I am not responding to them invidually because this post looks messy enough already :lol: . And I think the above part tells the essence and covers the other replies aswell.
  • ivo%s's Photo

UPdate
    Probally the last on this one.
    ---
    1---Posted Image---Posted Image---Posted Image---1

2---Posted Image---Posted Image---Posted Image---2

3---Posted Image---Posted Image---Posted Image---3
    ----

• RCTMASTA%s's Photo
    ...dafuq? :p
    I don't understand any of it, but I love it all the same.

Probably the last on this one.

So you're...finishing...quitting...what?
  • ivo%s's Photo
    hehe

I finished
  • RRP%s's Photo
    The optical illusion from having a black tiled grid is more interesting than the actual RCT screens,sorry
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    Still have next to no idea what this is all about!
  • K0NG%s's Photo
    Yeah.....well, I'm looking at this in-game and have even less of an idea than I did before. Read-me's are your friend.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    After viewing and voting on this I've almost had my eyes opened to differences and started viewing things in a new light.

We've gotten so used to the current 'NE Standard' of making things as realistic as possible that people almost stop using imagination and submissions are judged on how real something looks or feels or simulates.

Whilst I didn't understand what was going on, this lack of understanding made the park more understandable. Everything depends on perception and interpretation and this allowed the viewer to use it. I was really impressed and i'm actually quite inspired to build something without the care of others, building something for things to be approached in whichever way they are taken.

Well done Ivo. Your work is enlightening.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

The optical illusion from having a black tiled grid is more interesting than the actual RCT screens,sorry

So it wasn't just me who saw all the flickering black dots going round and round and round and round..
  • nin%s's Photo
    People say there are no rules to RCT, yet freak when people break out of the norm. This is the best thing to be made in RCT in a long time. Well done.
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    Louis and Nin explained it perfectly.

Best thing I've seen in a while, it's really like a breeze of fresh air.
    Don't let the provocation and braking of taboo become too much of a theme though,
    the image on itself, without context should make sence. Try to touch people, instead
    of scaring them with random weirdness, cause I do get the feeling this has been your
    goal in some of your updates. It's good to make a point, but only if you actually
    get poeple to look at things differently, provocation has the opposite effect.
    Therefore I've never liked the topic title.

Amazing work though, It's like looking into your head.
    It has become a very 'intimate' park.
  • trav%s's Photo
    I don't get it.
  • tyandor%s's Photo

I don't get it.

That's because it's modern 'art' (and art is already a very subjective term tbh).
    Already voted on it and gave it the pass grade. I was most certainly different I grant you that, but when it comes to this kind of thing personal preference comes more into play rather than judging the actual quality of the thing with a little more objectivity.

That said, you are either into it or not, but atleast I could see some thought behind it as it wasn't complete and utter randomnesss.
  • JDP%s's Photo
    it reminded me of a land doctor seuss would have in his books. however, i hated it. is it original? yes, but it looked effortless. it looked like you put in time at some areas and the others seemed more thrown together. it still made no sense to me and looked rushed so i scored it low
    -JDP
  • MeMeMe%s's Photo
    I want to open this ingame, but I can't find any attachment...
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Hey panelists, can we wait to discuss this until it's released? We want there to be something to say in the release topic, right?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading