General Chat / Aurora Shooting

• CoasterForce%s's Photo

Problem is, not every insane person shows it on the outside. Also just because someone shows 'signs' doesn't mean he/she is anywhere near doing things like this and even so a lot of them are loners who aren't under a lot of 'supervision' anyway. A mental check doesn't do much either as they can be highly intelligent.

Yes, of course, there are no absolutes. But that does not mean that one shouldn't check to at least screen out a high percentage of such people. I just hate that argument. It is taking the easy way out. All it takes is a few minutes of reporting something to the entities such as the school counseling center, parents, health professionals, etc. In addition, I really would be surprised if this person showed no signs at all. The fact that his mother was so certain her son was tied to it tells you something right there. Parents are biologically wired to be advocates for their kids.
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    But tyandor. "guns dont kill people, people kill people" I agree with you though. Even though you can't really tell if someone is nuts. At least put barriers in there way. So its not as easy to just get a peice and start shooting up the place lol.

Some legislation for future generations. I don't agree with guns for self defense, I was brought up to not fight but if needed use your fists. Its just a shame that most americans have been brought up in this gun culture.

America today is beyond help but in the future with the right things in place. It won't completely lose all guns but there will be a lot less.
  • inVersed%s's Photo

He shouldn't get the death penalty. He should be made to sit in a cell for at least 60 years... Hes 24 or something now so ... and the prison guards should spit in his food for the rest of his days. The death penalty is just the easy way out. But on the other hand, It would be wrong for the people of denver and colorado to pay tax so that this phsyco bastard gets food everyday.

I would go even further and say ... That if you are wanting to own a gun that you should be made to pay for some sort of mental test to see if you have any phsycopathic tendancies. And if you pass pay for the gun.

As far as im aware currently you just need an american citizenship and a bankcard and your sorted, Which in my opinion is completely wrong.

Not just america, But anywhere in the world. Just happens more in the US.

He will spent a hefty amount of time in prison, and still be fucked with (literally and figuratively) in prison. Because of how the US judicial system works he will spend easily 15-20 years in prison before he is executed.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    My mom and stepdad are both conservitaves gun owners, they both have concealed carry licenses, and in total have over 2 dozen guns, including a smith and Wesson .460 revolver and two SKS's each with a bayonet and folding stock.

If you want to have a logical and respectful arguement with me on gun control, PM me.

But anyways, this place is within 25 miles of columbine high school.... Odd.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    I live in one of the safest places I know of or have ever lived, and it's definitely due to the fact that a LOT of people here carry. You'd have to be insane to break into a house here, mine alone has something like 20 guns. None of them are even mine, I'll be getting three later this year. Hell, you'd have to be insane to even try to rob most people.

That said, it's still a tragedy, and I'd be fascinated to hear what kind of motivation feeds something like this. That and how he had what sounds like SWAT gear. It wasn't random.
  • tyandor%s's Photo

The fact that his mother was so certain her son was tied to it tells you something right there. Parents are biologically wired to be advocates for their kids.

That depends seriously on the parent and the relationship between their child tbh. Also I wasn't really advocating against screening, but the point I was trying to make is that screening is not perfect and almost useless if it doesn't happen with some regularity. Add to that a very high amount of people already have a gun just imagine what there can be screwed up in the burocracy. I rather have that no civilians have access to a gun at all, but if they do have access screening should be mandatory.

But tyandor. "guns dont kill people, people kill people" I agree with you though.

I have seen this argument thousands of times before, just this time without the car comparison attached. You know perfectly well what the purpose of a gun is. It's main use is to kill or wound. Whether it was justified or if the target is human isn't even relevant, but consider that it's the use where it's used for most.
    You could make the argument that you could also kill someone with a kitchen knife, but A; killing is not it's purpose and B; killing someone that way is way more personal and a barrier than 'just' pulling a trigger, it's way more involving + defense with simple martial arts become viable. The point is the one with the gun is 99% of the times the person who is in control of the ending.

I live in one of the safest places I know of or have ever lived, and it's definitely due to the fact that a LOT of people here carry. You'd have to be insane to break into a house here, mine alone has something like 20 guns. None of them are even mine, I'll be getting three later this year. Hell, you'd have to be insane to even try to rob most people.

The question is more how your environment is composed. As far as I know the Canadian people for example also have a lot of guns, but nowhere near the amount gun violence as the US. Spread of wealth and the make-up of population and general mentality have a lot to do with this.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

You know perfectly well what the purpose of a gun is. It's main use is to kill or wound.

Okay, the problem with this is that gun's can also be used to defend and even save lives. If their was a carrier who landed a shot in the bastard's face , in which the only unprotected part on his body,how many lives and injuries do you think that person could have saved?

Also in many cases just showing or proclaiming that you are a carrier and do have your weapon on you and then showing and pointing your weapon at the perpetrator is usually more than enough to make him/her submiss from hurting you/your family/your property.

Some like me shoot guns not for hunting but to shoot them at the range, for fun. So that's another purpose

Whether it was justified or if the target is human isn't even relevant

And why wouldn't that be relevant? If you save many lives at the cost of one bastard who's intention was to harm people, then I'd say it is. Or if you are the perpetrator, then its purpose changes.

Though I do not hunt and for the most part society does not need to rely on hunting, I believe that if you are going to kill game for the main purpose to consume, then it is definitely accepted. I found it much more humane than how cattle and chickens are prepared and slaughtered.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    I think tyandor's point is that whether you are the attacker or defender, the purpose of your firearm is to wound. And I would agree with that, that's kind of the point. It's more up to your personal ethics if you think it's justified. I'm a range shooter as well - blowing up stuff like gallons of water and cans and such in a controlled, safe environment is a good stress reliever - but I would like to get a concealed carry permit one day, even though open carry is legal in my state. If I'm in a situation where I can stop someone who means harm to me, my family, or just those around me, I'd prefer to be able to. It doesn't matter if they obtained their gun legally or not, and that's the problem. If they set out to do this kind of damage, why should they care whether their gun is legal or not, legally obtained or not?
  • Brent%s's Photo

sad.

i can't wait for them to go through his apartment, if possible, find call of duty in his xbox, and call it the reason behind his mental instability.

Dude only played Guitar Hero (like crazy) according to his old roommate/school friend.

Also, wtf is someone taking a three month old to a movie theater... especially a midnight showing at a loud ass movie.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

Dude only played Guitar Hero (like crazy) according to his old roommate/school friend.

Also, wtf is someone taking a three month old to a movie theater... especially a midnight showing at a loud ass movie.

Yeah, also a 6 year old, which died.
  • verti%s's Photo
    As a Dutchman who's moved to America: tyandor, the comparison isn't as easy to make. American culture is vastly different from Dutch, and the threat of gang violence is much stronger in parts of it. Gun laws provide more safety than problems from what I can see here.. And that's considering I was pretty big anti-gun nut.

But back to the topic at hand; I'd prefer if they used him for science experiments before executing him. I can't think of any other way that man could be useful, and I certainly don't want my tax money feeding him for the next decades.
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    There are really no words to describe such a heartless act of violence. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that there are people like that in this country. They shouldn't even put him on trial. Just put him the gas chamber. Make him suffer instead of giving him the painless lethal injection.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    why do people seek revenge? so eager to kill those who killed.

and on the gun thing: i personally am very anti-gun. but i don't force that belief onto anyone else. i would never carry a gun or shoot another human being, but if you feel your life is worth more than a criminals then feel free to defend yourself. that is a brief summary.
  • XCars%s's Photo
    pardon my french, but some people are seriously fucked up
  • Ling%s's Photo

some people are seriously fucked up

That's why we carry.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

That's why we carry.

Agreed.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    ^but how do we know you or anyone that has access to the guns in your house isn't fucked up too?
    What if atraumatic event in your life fucks you up? Will there be someone else who 'carries' and isn't (yet) fucked up to save other people?

"MFG"
  • Ling%s's Photo
    If you have firearms in your house, it's your duty to protect them. We don't have a safe in this house, but then we never have people over under like 18, and we don't exactly have everything sitting on the coffee table. We only talk about what we have to those we trust. If you have someone in your house that cannot be trusted with a gun, it needs to be locked up, until its use can be supervised.

If something happens in your life, it's still your responsibility as a human being to not act out against other human beings. If you can't contain that urge, then hopefully there is someone with a more level head to stop you before you hurt someone else (gun or not) or go to jail.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    This guy legally bought 4 firearms and (according to the radio station) 6000 bullets.
    Americans, get your act together. Now.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Do they know what he had? I can't find shit on what he used, except the "armor" and some tear gas.
    Everyone is focusing on hospitals and families.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading