(Archive) Advertising District / Plopsa Brittanica

• FredD%s's Photo
    Posted Image

This screen was already posted in the dump place. It's the entrance.

Posted Image

The beginning of the village square where the adventure begins. Meet & greet Samson, the talking dog that was the first production from Studio 100. A hotel and exotic swimming pool will be build next to this.

Posted Image

On the ground floor there's the Plopsa shop. On the first floor are the offices.

I don't expect Plopsa is well known over here. It's simply the theme park section of Studio 100. One of the biggest Belgian companies. Studio 100, and therefore also their theme parks, focuses on children. They develop different kinds of TV series and cartoons, all of them aimed for children. Samson & Gert, Plop, Mega Mindy, Huis Anubis, Bobo,... are some of the many created figures of Studio 100. Since a few years, they also own the rights of cartoon figures Wicky the viking, Maya the bee, Heidi (which are mainly known in Germany).

They own 5 parks. 3 in Belgium, 1 in Holland and 1 in Germany. It all began in 2001 when Studio 100 bought Melli park, a theme park that wasn't running well anymore. The name was changed to Plopsaland De Panne and since then the park has been given a huge make over. And nowadays, it's the most visited theme park in Belgium and considered the most beautiful theme park in Belgium. I don't know how many of the Belgian NE-members visited Plopsaland De Panne, as it is mainly aimed at children. Louis and Airtime visited the park this year, they posted a trip report with some photo's over here.

Later on, Plopsa builded a complete new theme park in Hasselt, Belgium. It was completely indoor, and also very little. That wasn't enough, they also bought Telecoo, a little theme park in the Ardennes were you have free entrance but have to pay per attraction. It still works like that this day. Because Studio 100 is also big in the Netherlands, Plopsa copied the Plopsa Indoor Hasselt concept to Coevorden, the Netherlands. Only a few things are different. And a few years ago, the conquest of Germany has begun with the purchase of the German theme park Holiday Park. Known thanks of the presence of Expedition G-Force, considered as one of the best European coasters.

So, I'm gonna build a new Plopsa park. With influences from Plopsaland De Panne, Holiday Park and the other Plopsa parks. Not a recreation, but some things should be very recognizable from the real parks. I also will put more thrill in this park than in the real Plopsa parks. This because I don't want to build only kiddie rides and because I think the British ask a bigger amount of thrill.
  • Scoop%s's Photo
    I don't understand the last screen but I do like the first two except for the fact that they are way to blocky.
  • Ruben%s's Photo
    Hate the brand, destroyed the Belgian themepark industry imo and is trying to do the same with the Netherlands/Germany.

However, apart from the concept, I quite like what you're showing. Some very decent work, as I'm used to see from you. Good use of colors, great use of foliage. The óne comment I have is that those bridges towards the entrance on the 1st screen are simply wáy too small. I think two 2-block bridges or one 3-block bridge, preferably stone, would do it a lot more justice.

Good luck on this, looking forward to seeing more of this. :)
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Ditch the bridges to the entrance:
    - Thousands of people have to cross those small bridges everyday
    - especially in the morning when it's crowded it's very impractical
    - they won't be able to hold all those people

I'm pretty sure someone already said that in the dump though.
  • Xtreme97%s's Photo
    I think the Meet & Greet area completely blocks the entrance and destroys park flow. The facades look very nice, but if you relocate that part to give the entrance more room to breathe, then it will be great.
  • BC(rct2)%s's Photo
    I think that I commented on the 1st screen before...but I will repeat, the bridges need to be larger and more solid, the rest is well done and not blocky.
  • FredD%s's Photo
    About the meet&greet, that's also in the real life park. And in the real life park, the space behind that is filled with cars like this people can rent. So irl there's also not much space.

About the bridges, I know it was mentioned before. Maybe I make the 2 outside bridges more wide. I've built those bridges to the example of Holiday Park's new entrance.
  • Version1%s's Photo

Hate the brand, destroyed the Belgian themepark industry imo and is trying to do the same with the Netherlands/Germany.

Holiday Park developed extremly well in the last time, Plopsa did a good job there.

Nice to see somebody is working on a brand park not based on Disney or Six-Flags :)
  • Ruben%s's Photo

Holiday Park developed extremly well in the last time, Plopsa did a good job there.

Guess so, and it's not that the parks are ''bad''. It's just that if park after park gets turned into a world full of plastic sculptures it kinda kills the diversity of theme parks. Truth be told though, at least they invest a lot in the parks, something you can't say from most other brand parks. :)

Fred: There are some vital differences between that concept you've shown us and your version, which imo makes your version feel kind of awkward. Firstly the concept has 4 bridges, spanning over the entire width of the square behind them. With your version the bridges are only in the centre of the square, leaving the edges unused. Furthermore, they aren't loose planks in the concept but form a solid base. I understand that's close to impossible to create in rct, but it's all the difference in terms of atmosphere. Last but not least this is simply kinda wheelchair/buggy-unfriendly, which imo hurts the realism.

P.s. forgot to say: I love those ticket booths. Feels like a trip down memory lane to Paul's/Sven's parks. It just oozes atmosphere. :)
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    I'd say to mix up the textures to gain more atmosphere.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Scaling is your problem... The bridges are too small, the entrance gate and (especially the) flag ornaments too big in comparison. The location of the meet and greet is fine, the big scale makes that it blocks the path.

For the rest it's really good. Thank god you're not into minimal brown parks anymore. This is so much more enjoyable. :)

By the way, do you still have some of your old parks? I mean, the RCT-Guide coaster contest winner and all pre-RCT-Guide parks? I remember you making more fantastical parks at Miracles and Save...
  • FredD%s's Photo
    Posted Image

Not so much progress, but a vital addition to the park. Because a Plopsa park can't be a Plopsa park without the dancing fountains!.

Fred: There are some vital differences between that concept you've shown us and your version, which imo makes your version feel kind of awkward. Firstly the concept has 4 bridges, spanning over the entire width of the square behind them. With your version the bridges are only in the centre of the square, leaving the edges unused. Furthermore, they aren't loose planks in the concept but form a solid base. I understand that's close to impossible to create in rct, but it's all the difference in terms of atmosphere. Last but not least this is simply kinda wheelchair/buggy-unfriendly, which imo hurts the realism.

My entrance is based on it, which is not the same as recreating it. But as I said, I'll adjust the bridges to the feedback. I'll try to do it with something else than those 'planks'. Thanks for your extensive feedback.

I'd say to mix up the textures to gain more atmosphere.

I'd rather try to limit textures in one zone/area. It will create a more coherent feeling to my opinion.

Scaling is your problem... The bridges are too small, the entrance gate and (especially the) flag ornaments too big in comparison. The location of the meet and greet is fine, the big scale makes that it blocks the path.

For the rest it's really good. Thank god you're not into minimal brown parks anymore. This is so much more enjoyable. :)

By the way, do you still have some of your old parks? I mean, the RCT-Guide coaster contest winner and all pre-RCT-Guide parks? I remember you making more fantastical parks at Miracles and Save...

I'd say about scaling that this is (a bit) better than my older work, I feel like I'm making progress at that point. I'm happy with the scaling as it is right now. But you're right about the flag ornaments, they are too big. For now, I'll just leave it like it is, maybe I can find something to replace it with later on.

The use of colors was, and is, a working point for me. I'm glad you like my use of colors over here, I'll try to avoid brown as much as possible to avoid getting back in my old habits of using too much brown. I lost almost all my old parks, I only have the parks left that are also uploaded to my NE account: Park Pirelli and The new empire. I remember that coaster contest winner, I won against Levis :party: And I liked my winning coaster quite a lot, unfortunately I don't have it anymore... If someone (ex-Guide) has it, I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd send it to me!
  • Ruben%s's Photo
    I understand it's not a recreation, but I just wanted to point out there were some differences that resulted in the plopsa design being fine, and your version not feeling natural. ;) Good to hear you're going to do something with it.

For the new screen,... well what's there to say? That's plopsa alright. :p
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    That is an unbelievable representation of Plopsa. Could do with a bit more detail on the buildings, but the whole feel is spot on.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I forgot to reply. Although I haven't visited any of the Plopsa parks, going off pics it seems like the atmosphere is quite accurate in this last screen! Looking forward to more.
  • FredD%s's Photo
    Posted Image

First of all, did the adjustments to the entrance square. I hope this is better.

Posted Image

Some more facades, containing an entrance to the big Plopsa shop, first aid and staff buildings.

Posted Image

And the first attracion is finished! Driving school is fun for the youngest children where they can learn playful the rules of the road. With thanks to MikaRCT2 who helped me with the hacking.

That is an unbelievable representation of Plopsa. Could do with a bit more detail on the buildings, but the whole feel is spot on.

As one of the very few NE-members who has visited Plopsaland De Panne, I'm very glad to hear this from you :)
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    That driving school is brilliant! I've never seen it done so good before. You've really improved recently Fred.
  • Xtreme97%s's Photo
    I love the driving school and the Renault sign is great. The use of that NCSO garage object is very nice too. However I think you should remove the walls behind the glass pieces to make it actually look transparent.
  • pierrot%s's Photo
    The driving school is such a cute idea, love it.
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    ^that is an actual attraction there irl though, but yeah it's pretty well executed,could've done with some more complexity though as the real version is very complex.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading