General Chat / Another mall shootout (Oregon/Portland)

• dr dirt%s's Photo
    I enjoy hunting, I enjoy shooting my gun, and I enjoy owning a gun. I don't think the actions of some crazy should take away my right to a gun. Deaths from drunk driving shouldn't take away my right to drive and own a car, and I don't see a difference, yet no one's jumping on board for banning cars.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    ^first of all, there are in fact RTS groups, and secondly, when drunk driving was made illegal people made the exact same argument: "i enjoy drinking at bars and i use a car to get home; i've never hit someone because i can hold my liquor.i don't think someone should control what i do in the privacy of my own car just because some crazies drive when they shouldn't"

So basically I agree with pretty much every point being made and I don't understand how I could debate something when that is the case

ironically in an actual "debate" the whole point is to know what the other side will say and why; in competitive debate both competing teams prepare an argument for both sides and what side each team will represent is decided by a coin toss
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    Heard good news this morning ,if it'll happen ofcourse.
    Obama wants stricter gun control.
    I think it's a step in the right direction.
    I know that taking away the guns won't prevent these things to happen ,but it'll certainly be reduced.

When i started this topic ,i also didn't want to launch an online shitfight.
    So please ,let's stop blaming each other ,because it feels like i've unleashed an online war between Europe and the USA.

This wasn't my intention.

Arjan.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    This is actually been 90% a reasonable and interesting debate so far.

I'm glad Obama wants stricter control on guns, and I hope that spills over in to congress. More education and less guns in the hands of certain people. Please let people who know what they are doing keep there's. Like I said before, I work for a gun sight manufacturer, I'll lose my job and the family who's run the business for three generations basically has to shut down or wildly adapt if they get banned. Don't forget the economics here.

I also hope the issue with mental health is worked on. I'm not as educated in this so I can't really say.
    Probably better policing to. Shit like the devestating OKC bombing can be stopped through police work, like the Fountain Place bomb scare. Plus reform the prison system. It's a huge money sink. Legalize and tax marijuana. Gay marriage rights for all. Maybe then invest some in infrastructure, and get people to move to the cities. Finish the Texas supercollider, and start a new shuttle program.
    Yep, life's good.
  • RMM%s's Photo

Please let people who know what they are doing keep there's.

that's the thing, though. there's a very thin line between 'people who know what they're doing' and 'people who don't know what they're doing'. a majority of the time, that person who didn't know what they were doing knew exactly what they were doing minutes before they shot up a school. all it takes is a quick decision to blur that line. that can't be controlled with a law. if i want to go run over my neighbor walking down the street with my car, i'm gonna do it... and there isn't shit anybody can do about it. i get that guns are a different story, in a way, but the same principle applies.

don't get me wrong, it's a very, very sad thing that things like these happen. but strict gun laws or none at all, you can't control a fucked up decision. it's just upsetting that somebody always has to go and ruin it for the responsible people out there.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    You are completely right. And how do you stop people from snapping?
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

affordable and non-stigmatized psychiatric care
  • RMM%s's Photo

you can't. people tend to forget that we are, in fact, animals.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    animals don't snap
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Hey, I have just a question for people who want guns to be outright banned. How exactly do you propose we go about this?
  • RMM%s's Photo

animals don't snap

hahahaa, i said to myself 'the fuck they don't'. then i realized you mean snapping fingers.

or did you...
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

hahahaa, i said to myself 'the fuck they don't'. then i realized you mean snapping fingers.

or did you...

well... mentally *snapping* is only possible with humans considering it means to have a mental breakdown, which animals arguably can't due to their limited brains in comparison to humans.
  • RMM%s's Photo

well... mentally *snapping* is only possible with humans considering it means to have a mental breakdown, which animals arguably can't due to their limited brains in comparison to humans.

the fuck they can't.
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    Oh yes they can.
    Never had a dog snapping at you?
  • Wanted%s's Photo

Tell that to pitbulls that snap on people
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    The amount of uninformed BS is so incredibly high overall in this topic, it's kind of astonishing.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    ^If any of it involves me please let me know. I've argued a lot in here but I like to keep an open mind.
  • Scoop%s's Photo
    why can't we all just get along.
  • dr dirt%s's Photo

^first of all, there are in fact RTS groups, and secondly, when drunk driving was made illegal people made the exact same argument: "i enjoy drinking at bars and i use a car to get home; i've never hit someone because i can hold my liquor.i don't think someone should control what i do in the privacy of my own car just because some crazies drive when they shouldn't"

You've missed my point. I'm not saying drunk driving should be legal, just making a comparison with guns. Irresponsible use of cars (drunk driving) doesn't take away anybody else's responsible use of cars. Same goes for the responsible use of guns.
  • tyandor%s's Photo

I enjoy hunting, I enjoy shooting my gun, and I enjoy owning a gun. I don't think the actions of some crazy should take away my right to a gun. Deaths from drunk driving shouldn't take away my right to drive and own a car, and I don't see a difference, yet no one's jumping on board for banning cars.

Every time the gun control debate starts this McwWeaksauce BS car comparison argument turns up. The PURPOSE of a car is transportation. The PURPOSE of a gun is KILLING as it is a WEAPON and not a transportation device.

Also Obama wants a ban on assault weapons I believe and as far as my knowledge about guns goes that something different than a simple handgun or a hunting rifle. Assault weapons have no place in civilians hands to begin with.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading