General Chat / Another mall shootout (Oregon/Portland)

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    it pisses me off how people make mass shootings to be common. one person here said something like 0.0054% but thats enough to change law?
  • MEGAMINDY%s's Photo

Biggest oversimplification ever imawesome1124. I suggest you read my post, because it's interesting to see how you pose your opinion very offensively but keep from having a proper debate/argument on a somewhat more intellectual level than posting populist statements and paint-images.

+1
    Thank you!
  • MEGAMINDY%s's Photo

it pisses me off how people make mass shootings to be common. one person here said something like 0.0054% but thats enough to change law?

Yes it is.
  • Ruben%s's Photo

-

• Wanted%s's Photo

I think this speaks for itself. There's a link to the detailed stats in the picture too.

Rofl

https://docs.google....5VODRyTnc#gid=0

http://www.theatlant...-deaths/260189/

http://www.politifac...n-murders-year/

http://en.wikipedia....ated_death_rate

Nice paint picture, btw. Something jaded and pathetic like I'd expect on Fox news.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

It's a miracle i've survived for sixteen years without getting shot.

I was just making a comparison. It would even be unlikely for me to get shot in downtown Detroit at midnight.

I'm just disappointed.

We Brits found your country for you and look what you've done with it!

No, just no.
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    Okay, I'm going to post my complete view of the gun policy in this country. I know I came across as an asshole earlier, so I'll try to stay calm. I do firmly believe that guns should stay because they are part of our culture, but I believe that there should be some more restrictions. First, fully automatic weapons should remain illegal to own, except if you are police or military. Semi-automatic weapons are widely used in hunting, but most commonly in target shooting. Target shooting is considered a sport in this country, and the contestants all have undergone a lot of evaluation and have a lot of licensing, this should stay the same. High-caliber weapons like the 50 BMG are already illegal in several states, but I think that issue should be left up to the states to decide. I believe that concealed carry should be legal with a license, but the license will require very strict mental evaluation and be rigorous to obtain. I think there should be a limit to the number of guns available to each household, but the exact limit should be left up to the states. Purchasing guns should be more difficult, in many stores you can walk in, bring a gun up to the desk, they do a quick background check, and done. I believe that a license should be required prior to purchasing guns, again, requiring mental evaluation.
    Hopefully this was seen as a rational argument. By the way, CT has the fifth strictest gun laws in the country. Just felt like pointing that out.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Like anything good ever happened to stuff "left to the states".

Yeah, CT has a strict gun law. It didn't prevent his mother from legally owning 2 hand guns and a semi automatic rifle. Seems to be not so strict anymore, doesn't it?
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    Wanted, thanks for those because it proves a claim I made earlier, that there is no correlation between homicide and gun ownership. this makes me believe the cause is something different entirely, like the insight that guy gave us.

ruben, i think my thought process differs from yours because I think, mostly because the way i was raised, that guns are a right for most people to have, and that something like this should not effect the law of everybody else.

while we are on the subject of homicide, talk about suicide, the rate is double that of the murder rate.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    Well one problem with outlawing firearms would be the fact that they are actually extremely easy to make, as well as the fact that in the right hands, a hunk of wood can be just as deadly as a gun.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Yeah well, think about how many of the past shooting suspects would've been able to kill at least a rock with a hunk of wood.
  • Roomie%s's Photo

Okay, I'm going to post my complete view of the gun policy in this country. I know I came across as an asshole earlier, so I'll try to stay calm. I do firmly believe that guns should stay because they are part of our culture, but I believe that there should be some more restrictions. First, fully automatic weapons should remain illegal to own, except if you are police or military. Semi-automatic weapons are widely used in hunting, but most commonly in target shooting. Target shooting is considered a sport in this country, and the contestants all have undergone a lot of evaluation and have a lot of licensing, this should stay the same. High-caliber weapons like the 50 BMG are already illegal in several states, but I think that issue should be left up to the states to decide. I believe that concealed carry should be legal with a license, but the license will require very strict mental evaluation and be rigorous to obtain. I think there should be a limit to the number of guns available to each household, but the exact limit should be left up to the states. Purchasing guns should be more difficult, in many stores you can walk in, bring a gun up to the desk, they do a quick background check, and done. I believe that a license should be required prior to purchasing guns, again, requiring mental evaluation. Hopefully this was seen as a rational argument. By the way, CT has the fifth strictest gun laws in the country. Just felt like pointing that out.

Thank you. A well put point of view. Although I do disagree with some points.

As I said this is so ingrained in American Culture it's neigh on impossible to do something about. the I have a right to a gun thing is the way it is and has been for a long long time. I take this which was recently posted to my Facebook as an example. (names blacked out obviously but u get the gist)

Posted Image

This kind of response makes me genuinely sick to my stomach.

The whole I have to have a gun because they have a gun is the local equivalent to the cold war's They have a bomb so i need a bomb view. And like that its massively out dated and redundant now.

ruben, i think my thought process differs from yours because I think, mostly because the way i was raised, that guns are a right for most people to have, and that something like this should not effect the law of everybody else.

I think you are right, its the way people are raised in America, In my view its something completely in the head. How many if any Europeans here who live in countries with strict gun laws honestly feel they would be safer if they had a gun in their house? I'm intrigued to know. I live in the UK where guns are under tight control and I don't think I have ever even seen a gun not in the hands of the police or other law enforcement agencies (in the UK that is, I certainly have in Nigeria & Libya). I wouldn't feel any more safe in my flat with a gun. I feel safe now because I know no one out there has a gun and those that do are mostly interested in shooting each other.

That statistic you posted imawesome1124 about the citizen intervention instead of the police intervention misses one major point. With strict gun control there wouldn't be the need for intervention. OK i'm not saying there would NEVER be a incident with a gun but there may only be 1 instead of 20 in a given time. OK it may take longer to resolve that 1 incident but you are still 19 incidents better off because those 19 people didn't have access to the guns in the first place.

But if you really want to post meaningless statistical paint images we can make say what we want as long as we ignore other statistics. (Mainly the fact there is no WEST Germany anymore :p )
    How's this?

Posted Image

Edit: fixed images.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^cue the 'but theres a billion more people in the us than those other countries so the stats are all wrong' responses
  • MEGAMINDY%s's Photo

Well one problem with outlawing firearms would be the fact that they are actually extremely easy to make, as well as the fact that in the right hands, a hunk of wood can be just as deadly as a gun.

Well i have not yet seen a fool run into a mall or school and kill dozens of people with a hunk of wood. Sure you can kill a guy with only your hands. But guns make it too easy. That way you might not think twice if you just can go an do it.

Also the weapon industry is so big that many jobs would be lost if ignorant people could walk around with guns so they feel "safe". Its irreversible and deeply integrated in the American mindset. When i think of the USA i see a bigass billboard with a big-titted, dumb-ass girl on a beautiful mustang holding 2 M16's in both of her hands and above this all in giant letters FREEDOM!. (edit: this a joke! my apologies for any other stupid things i've said.) But i digress

Anyhow ,Yay some americans(edit). way to go....
    And offcourse i am not talking about all Americans. I am talking to people who defend the right to own a gun. Excuse me for my earlier generalizations gir.

NOT SO FUN FACT. another shooting rage today in a Hospital in Alabama. they dont seem that rare somehow?
  • gir%s's Photo
    Stop generalizing Americans. Just stop.
  • Ruben%s's Photo

-

• MEGAMINDY%s's Photo

@Megamindy: Ever been to the USA? Thankfully it isn't anything like you imagine. It is a highly diverse and interesting place, with a lot of good people in it. Sadly (imo that is) it has some people that are a bit more extreme in what they do/argue (whether that's gangs, religion, arm laws, environmental reforms or whatever) than their European counterparts tend to be. But this is something you shouldn't relate to ''the USA'' or ''the Americans'', but to those extreme-minded groups themselves.

Yes i have been to USA. I have been traveling trough the states for 2 months. So i dont know everything and everyone but YES I do have a very bad image of US citizens this is because the most of the nice and educated people I met were foreigners, a few exceptions off course. Most americans thought I was german when I said I was dutch, then they asked if I loved Hitler and then they where out of stuff to say (Sadly a true story, happened multiple times) This is my experience. And I admit it was wrong by calling people who defend the right to own guns "Americans" or pretend that the entire USA is pro guns.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Stop generalizing Americans. Just stop.

But, but, but, it's fun to generalize people :(
  • Ruben%s's Photo

-

• Xeccah%s's Photo

But, but, but, it's fun to generalize people :(/>

you can slander and generalize me whenever you feel like it, louise

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading