Micro Madness 2014 / Micro Madness 2014 General Information & Discussion

• Kumba%s's Photo

I am trying to get a hold of Xcoaster to let him know about this, but no luck yet. I did inform Ride6 and Cam, so give me a bit of an assist there :)

So, will this be just like the World Cup where each group has 4 and 2 of the 4 advance and there is a knockout round?

If that's the case, put me in the group of death. I am not holding back or pacing myself in this and will bring my A game in the first round. I have not been happy with my last few contest entries and want to remind everyone why I was RCT2's player of the decade. Yeah, it's on... put me with Liam and Pac ;)

• Levis%s's Photo

if I knew for sure I would be place in the same group as darren I might be tempted to sign up. Nothing feels better then beating him, and I still need to take revange for H2H4 ;).

Oh and louis no problem ;), I'm also following the NE facebook page and saw it there and darren already send me a message on fb. then you send me on on fb and here (and I do get notifications of that still so I know when it happens) so people made sure I knew :p.

• Liampie%s's Photo

I am trying to get a hold of Xcoaster to let him know about this, but no luck yet. I did inform Ride6 and Cam, so give me a bit of an assist there :)

Thank you! Can you inform Cork, JKay and Fatha too?

So, will this be just like the World Cup where each group has 4 and 2 of the 4 advance and there is a knockout round?

Each round will consist of groups, so there's no knockout round in the traditional sense of the word.

If that's the case, put me in the group of death. I am not holding back or pacing myself in this and will bring my A game in the first round.

The groups will be selected at random, so no guarantees here (sorry Levis!)... But the groups will of course get progressively harder. Any group from the second round and later will be a group of death. ;)

• Louis!%s's Photo

Kumba, you've got part of it right and part of it wrong. You'll have to wait until the bracket is fully released to see exactly how we are doing it. It isn't your standard bracket, it's a bit more complicated.

But yes, there will be at least 4 people (possibly more) with 2 advancing.

Edit: What Liam said. But also when we say random, we don't mean totally random. Everyone will initially be seeded, and then they will be randomly pulled out and assigned a group.

• Kumba%s's Photo

I tried Cork and a few others. I highly doubt Fatha' will do it since he backed out in 08 and JKay has been really busy since having kids. He's in a lot of fantasy football leagues with me and hardly keeps up, lol.

I get what you mean about the groups. It can't be 100% random or maybe you get a group with Robbie, 5Dave, Pac and Roomie. Would suck to have two of them go out right away. Basically, all sports have it to where the reward for being the best is facing the weakest so that the odds are the two best meet to decide a champ.

• Lotte%s's Photo

well if you guys are going to want to add Xcoaster, you better hurry because there's only 2 spaces left! i'd love for him to enter though, like the majority of the people here i assume. 

• Liampie%s's Photo

There's not 2 spaces left. Anyone can join.

• Louis!%s's Photo

Yeah, we don't have a limit, we just have a target.

And sign ups will not close until Sunday.

• Lotte%s's Photo

that's good to hear, but how will the contest run with for instance 67 people? or is that still a secret?

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

Out of curiosity (and forgive me if you mentioned this but I didn't see it when I look at the first post), what happens if you have too many people to make an even bracket? Do you leave people off, add more people to some of the first lower seeded brackets or have a play-in round (sort of like March Madness does) where some of the lowest seeds compete against each other in a short round for the final spot(s)?

EDIT: My post crossed with gdb's post. Sorry if I'm asking basically the same question.

• Louis!%s's Photo

With 67, we will most likely take 64 and have 3 reserves for the inevitable drop outs.

But we don't want to discourage people from signing up, we will aim to put as many people as we can into this contest.

• Liampie%s's Photo

There's a solution to almost every number of sign ups! At least we will try our hardest to fit in everyone.

• csw%s's Photo

My guess is if there are about 68 sign-ups, there will be all groups of 4 with 4 groups of 5. So just distribute the remaining sign-ups into random groups. 

• Louis!%s's Photo

Yeah as Liam says. There is a solution to pretty much every number of sign ups. There is no worry. We will try our hardest to include absolutely everyone, that's why we wanted this contest, because we can do that.

The bracket system I've designed is versatile. It's different from a normal bracket and due to this we can be flexible with numbers.

• Kumba%s's Photo

You can't have a couple of groups of 5 and the rest of 4. That would be unfair to the groups with 5 where 3 get knocked out. What I hope Louis/Liam are doing is adding groups of 4 after 64. Worst case, we get 71 and have 3 reserves and with a bunch of dropouts likely, they should make it in.

• Liampie%s's Photo

You can't have a couple of groups of 5 and the rest of 4. That would be unfair to the groups with 5 where 3 get knocked out. What I hope Louis/Liam are doing is adding groups of 4 after 64. Worst case, we get 71 and have 3 reserves and with a bunch of dropouts likely, they should make it in.

I agree, that would be unfair. As I said there is a solution to almost every number of sign ups, but varying group sizes are definitely not a solution. Just have faith in us! :)

• Louis!%s's Photo

Don't worry, we know what we are doing. It will be a fair and even contest.

I've spent in total, a good day or 2 making a bracket that ensures everything is fair in the system we are going to run with. It is a very complicated bracket, and isn't a usual system, but it works in the same way and we are very happy with it. It may look weird at first, but with explanation it will make sense to everyone. Although, as we said, everyone will know the bracket structure and their seed number, but they won't know where they are on the bracket or who they are facing.

Anyway, we aren't limiting sign ups. We will try and get everyone involved. We may end up having to have a reserves list. That's the end of that discussion!

• Faas%s's Photo

Keep up the good work guys. It's much appreciated! I'm hoping for an awesome contest. 

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

So is the seeding structure 1-60-whatever, or is it simply quartiles?  

I.e. the best 25% of sign-ups get rank 1, next 25% rank 2, so on - and then each Group of Four is randomly assigned one of each rank?  

Quartiles seems the easiest and best to me, since you wouldn't have to sort out who's the 19th-best micro-maker vs. the 18th-best or similar.

• Louis!%s's Photo
    We won't be going into the exact details of how we will be seeding entrants yet. We know exactly how we will be proceeding with all details, but wish to keep some things to ourselves until a later date.

But like I said in the first post, it won't be a 1-60 style. It will be most like the seeding for sporting events like UEFA Champions League. There will be multiple numbers of the same seed.

Please do not worry about how the contest will be set up and run. We have vast knowledge and experience of running contests and have spent several months working on this version of Micro Madness and ironing out all the details.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading