General Chat / What Do You Do?

• gir%s's Photo

Twiggy, I actually went to NC State for my undergraduate degree (civil engineering). It is a fantastic university, whether you want to be a mechanical engineer or otherwise, and I love Raleigh. I will say that in my experience, the engineering program is perhaps skewed too far towards practice at the expense of fundamentals, but that is really just a response to what industry demands these days (for better or for worse). But...don't worry too much right now about what you want to do. There is plenty of time to figure that out. It is more important just to find the university fits you best.

As for what I'm doing now: I'm in graduate school pursuing my dream of becoming a professor at a "Tier One" research university. We'll see how that works out. Graduate school basically killed any time I had to play RCT, but I'm always so happy to see New Element thriving when I visit. Keep it up, guys!

• alex%s's Photo

i do stand up in austin texas and i guess im at school but i dont plan on finishing 

As in comedy? How's that going?

I'm a freelance illustrator/graphic designer. Most of my 'bread and butter' work is editorial illustration, so creating images that accompany articles in mags. I've got some examples on my website here - http://alexjwalker.co.uk/
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    You on the logo team yet Alex? :p
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

As in comedy? How's that going?

bad

• Louis!%s's Photo

I'm a freelance illustrator/graphic designer. Most of my 'bread and butter' work is editorial illustration, so creating images that accompany articles in mags. I've got some examples on my website here - http://alexjwalker.co.uk/

You have a Nottingham thing on your website, you based in the area?

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Do parks still get logos? I forgot that was a thing
  • Stoksy%s's Photo

^Yeah, you need to request them though. Pretty sure there's an option in the menu where you submit a park.

• G Force%s's Photo

^Yeah, you need to request them though. Pretty sure there's an option in the menu where you submit a park.

There is also an option in the projects menu if I remember correctly. 

• In:Cities%s's Photo

I've worked for Disney at the Vero Beach Resort for the past three years. I was a recreation coordinator; overseeing activities, rental window, and lifeguards. I also was the coordinator of training in HR and oversaw training for all departments of the resort. I did a lot of graphic design work for the resort both internally and for the guests. [I recently designed and got approval by specialty merchandise for an official Disney trading pin design to commemorate our resort's 20th anniversary this fall!]

I'm the singer in a band called Vice & Virtue. I know most of you don't listen to this sort of music, but we're a blend of post-hardcore and rock. We just released a 14 song album that can be listened to for free on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....ms72SLdFG54Zgnp

We have a music video coming out shortly as well.

More recently I have been working in a local sign shop and doing mostly vinyl work.

Starting in two weeks, I will be on board the Disney Dream out of Port Canaveral for a 5 month contract with Disney Cruise Line. I will be a guest communications coordinator; doing graphic design work, app content management, and running the print-shop on board. Its going to be a big change!

I play rct every couple of years. [when H2H is happening!]

• Xeccah%s's Photo

Josh. Me, you, BGT...

You live in Florida?

• Xeccah%s's Photo

No nerd, that shitty park we were building in like 2013 lol.

OH. Send me that!

• Maxwell%s's Photo

Currently, I am a freshman studying mechanical engineering at UCF in Orlando. It's great because I have all the parks so close to me, but it sucks that I have no car so I cannot get to the parks (although that will be changing once this semester ends).

In between semesters I work at a local mom and pop realty firm back at home in Jacksonville. It's great because one of my old high school football coaches is my boss, and the fact that my mom works there too is pretty cool (thanks for the job momma love you<3). 

Hopefully, once I have at least 61 credit hours under my belt towards my degree I can start applying for interships/co-op programs at the theme parks. In relation to that I am thinking about rushing for the engineering fraternity here at UCF in the fall because you can get a lot of perks that can get you a foothold in the industry which would be amazing. Additionally, I'm thinking about auditioning for Halloween Horror Nights in the fall because I really love HHN, and really anything haunt related! I mean how bad could it be getting paid to go to Universal on the weekends to scare people all night long?! (at least I think that would be an amazing job :p)

• alex%s's Photo

You have a Nottingham thing on your website, you based in the area?

Yep, unfortunately :p. Are you?
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    ^city centre or Nottinghamshire?
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Yep, unfortunately :p. Are you?

I study at NTU
  • alex%s's Photo

Just outside the city centre, between the lace market and Sneinton.

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

I'll start by saying my ambitions and goals stem from my brother who was diagnosed with Autism before I was even born. I work as a behavioral analyst for kids and adults diagnosed with Autism. The job comes so natural that it just feels right to be doing it. While my dream job has always been to be a coaster or theme park designer, my ambitions for the longest time have to become a teacher. I just didn't know M focus would change to Special Ed. When my brother was still in highschool, I witness the lack of respect the school principal gave to my brother's"population." It disgusted me that they treated that class like it was just a babysitting center. Had there not been such negativity, perhaps I would still be pursuing a teaching job as a high school English teacher.

My only issue now is since it is almost time for me to start my M.A in Psychology, I'll have to part ways eventually with my kiddos-- Its a conundrum. It makes me almost want to get my BCBA (Board Certified Behavioral Analyst). Getting this will make me get a hefty promotion to a supervising role in my company. That alone has its own benefits. All I know for sure is my life has been altered in a blessed way. I cant see myself doing anything else.

I worked in special ed for a bit.  It was pretty fucked, man. The whole field is dedicated to making it look like you're doing work through excessive and unnecessary documentation, with the actual work part being secondary.  Glad to have people like you motivated to work through it, but I'm equally glad to not be doing that shit anymore.

Doesn't Midnight Aurora do something like this? I remember him talking about it before

[ntamin22' timestamp='1423089715' post='649701']

Shogo, MA is/was a social worker.

Aww, you guys remember me. I'm a child welfare worker. A baby snatcher. The White Devil. It's every bit as awful as you'd imagine. And speaking of excessive and unnecessary paperwork... That saddest and most soul crushing part is watching the cycles of poverty, abuse, and addiction filter pass down through the generations. It all seems so pointless after seeing so many people circle the drain, and then seeing their children follow diligently down the same path.

• Louis!%s's Photo

MA youre back <3

Please stay. I'll love you forever! It's not the same just having you on facebook :(

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading