General Chat / What Do You Do?

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Shit, buddy.  I work two/three jobs and I'm still trying to have a social life. You'll be lucky to have me check in every three months.

If the previous post wasn't enough, those last couple sentences should be enough to deter you from going into social work.  You've been warned.

• Louis!%s's Photo

As long as you do check in still from time to time :)

nice to have you pop by :)

• Xeccah%s's Photo

it's not just the same shitposting to you on steam occasionally, MA :(

• djbrcace1234%s's Photo

Yeah, Social services has a pretty high burn out rate for that reason. Have you ever noticed that jobs with excessive and  pointless document writing are the ones that have high burn out rates. 

Rule number one: Don't get in a field of work that mirrors school homework. lol

And Thanks MA! I've experience all spectrum's of teachers to know I would hate myself if I became anything like them. 

• csw%s's Photo

If you're still here MA, I'd like to know what led you to social work in the first place. If you don't mind me asking. 

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Yeah, Social services has a pretty high burn out rate for that reason. Have you ever noticed that jobs with excessive and  pointless document writing are the ones that have high burn out rates. 

Rule number one: Don't get in a field of work that mirrors school homework. lol

And Thanks MA! I've experience all spectrum's of teachers to know I would hate myself if I became anything like them. 

I think the burnout with my field in particular has to do with a lot of things.  The stress, the second hand trauma, the fucking roaches and bed bugs, the physical and verbal threats, the constant verbal harassment, the association with awful people, etc.  But I can say without a doubt, that the paperwork is what is going to finally push me out the door. It's one thing to live a terrible experience.  It's another to continually and voluntarily relive those experiences by writing them down over and over again, when by the way, the accuracy of your memory is the only thing that will keep you, the caseworker, out of jail in some cases. I go through periods as long as months where I'm completely unable to write anything at all in my case notes, even when I know that that could lead to termination, or worse case jail time.

The sad part is that I love teaching.  I think I'm pretty good at it, too. I just realize at this point that there's no way in hell I'm volunteering myself for another career path where I'll get shit on so consistently.

If you're still here MA, I'd like to know what led you to social work in the first place. If you don't mind me asking. 

I don't have a great reason for getting in to it. I took a job. I had a friend who worked in what I thought at the time was a similar field, and he convinced me it wasn't so bad. I was working in special ed, which we've established I hate, and restaurants, which anyone who has ever waited tables can tell you is the fucking worst, so I figured it couldn't be much worse. (But apparently I don't learn from my mistakes, because I just finished a shift of waiting tables at my second job an hour or so ago.) I mean, hindsight bias kicking in, I have a savior complex, which is apparent if I told you a few details about my exes. My mom fostered some kids after I went to college to cure her empty nest syndrome, so I guess in a non professional context, i get that helper mentality from my mother. I'm unfortunately getting pretty good at it, because I'm extremely patient and a glutton for punishment. Irish American stereotypes apply.

At this point, though, I can't seem to get out.  I feel like the main character from The Jungle, where he's forced to take a job in the fertilizer plant, and from then on can never do anything else because the job has uniquely ruined him. Hat tip to the great Upton Sinclair for the unintentionally accurate description of my current mentality:

"And still Jurgis stuck it out! In spite of splitting headaches he would stagger down to the plant and take up his stand once more, and begin to shovel in the blinding clouds of dust. And so at the end of the week he was a fertilizer-man for life—he was able to eat again, and though his head never stopped aching, it ceased to be so bad that he could not work.  5"

• posix%s's Photo

How wonderful to see you here MA.

• Disney Imagineer%s's Photo
    I work at Lowe's until I finish college (in the U.K. I've heard its equivalent would be a B&Q). Been with them almost 2.5 years, and worked at The Home Depot before I started with Lowe's. It's a great place to work. I sell lawn mowers, grills, patio furniture etc. Get to operate powered equipment which is fun. I lift a lot of heavy stuff at work so it's like getting a free workout. I'm going to school to get my Bachelor's in Business Administration. :)
  • Dinosaurs%s's Photo

bad

I live in Austin, I'll come and watch some of your comedy.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

I live in Austin, I'll come and watch some of your comedy.

ill try to remember to pm you next time im booked somewhere. i doubt you want to go to a open mic

• Dinosaurs%s's Photo

Were you apart of the Moonlight Fest? The company I intern for sponsored the event.

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

no, i only moved here a few months ago. im not in the scene yet, i still mostly do open mics

• Dinosaurs%s's Photo
    Theres a cool place next to campus called Spiderhouse Ballroom that does open mics. Let me know about what you're up to I'll support it.
  • 5dave%s's Photo

I just finished my second comic.

http://www.mycomics....terference.html (just klick 'Comic lesen') - button, the comic is in english, don't worry! I made this yesterday in 12 hours as a challenge for a contest.

My first one:

http://www.mycomics....0-branches.html

This one is without words and should be understandable as well.

I also do other stuff (www.belzebub.at).

"MFG"

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I really like them. Branches is great.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

I'm currently an overwhelmed/underwhelmed student studying for a BS in Geography and Classics. I'd love to get into archaeology but because that's not the easiest career to obtain, I spend much of my time working with Cartography and GIS:

Overview_of_the_Chesapeake_Bay_Final_zps

In the meantime, I'm taking math which will probably annihilate my GPA.

• In:Cities%s's Photo
    That's actually really cool^

I've always loved geography and maps, but never really considered it as a career path. Best of luck to you!
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

Thanks, I was actually more interested in planetary science at the time but wasn't man enough to take on all the physics and math.

• In:Cities%s's Photo
    I don't blame you. I really want to get involved with engineering / planning /drafting, but that means I have a lot of schooling ahead of me haha.

Thankfully I'm already in the company I want to work for, in the department that I want to work for (generally speaking), but not quite where I want to be yet. Disney is known for moving people up who really are able to prove themselves and make connections, but I feel like I can only get so far without a college education.

On a side note, if anybody has any questions whatsoever about working on a cruise line or for Disney in particular, I'll be more than happy to ' tell all ' for you gents haha. Definitely a different envronment than most; (myself included) expect!
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

You can only get so far WITH a college education as well. Too many people are going there with no interest other than 'I'mma make more money than you' and they don't really recognize the intrinsic value of knowledge. With that being said, if in the future you feel the need to continue your education, I'd recommend Geography. It's the perfect degree for urban planning, landscape architecture, etc. and depending on college may not require too much math.

Also, I'm going to assume you work for Disney.. What do you do?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading