General Chat / The Matrix Reloaded...

• Tyler%s's Photo
    The Matrix Reloaded goes for the "WOW Factor" over everything else. Sure, it follows the original story, to an extent. But, as far as sequels go, this was too much razzle and not enough dazzle. The fight scenes were top notch. The special effects were top notch. But, really, was anyone expecting any other outcome? To me, it was like watching the newer Star Wars films, except more gritty. With all the "military" and "political" figures involved, aswell as the portrayal of the "real world", it just all seemed too familiar.

I'm about to make a bold analogy here: If anyone saw the first X-Men film and thought "Hmmm, why the HELL does Storm have that odd accent?", you'll be thinking the same thing about the characters in the Matrix Reloaded. Especially Morphius. There were few "real moments" in the acting, and some of the supporting characters try too hard for comic relief. I mean, the jokes were funny and somewhat clever, but the execution wasn't all that spectacular. Additionally, the film was too long. Many of the eye-candy action scenes had no ties to the rest of the story, except to show off what Neo could do, perhaps. A good 30 minutes could have been cut from it and no one would have cared. Especially what I like to refer to as the "10 Minute Orgy Scene", which could have easily been condensed into a minute or two.

This isn't necessarily a bad movie, just an over-hyped one that doesn't quite deliver. There are several reasons to see it, aside from the incredible fight, chase, and action sequences. There are some major revelations in the story, but also some that are just not needed (or perhaps they are setting up the next one?). I was also a bit confused by some of the long, computer-lingoed speeches... but hey, all the ass-kicking balanced that.

Overall, I give it 3/5. As far as sequels go this summer, I think X2: X-Men United will have the upperhand. T3: Rise of the Machines looks to be a major disappointment.
  • sboarder%s's Photo
    Yeah, I just got out of it. I think it is quite possibly, one of the best movies I have seen in my entire life. I was speechless. The Matrix: Reloaded attributes to one syllable: incredible.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    You know, for the past year I've been anti-Matrix because of all of the hype these sequels have been generating. I went into this thoroughly expecting to hate it but I really liked it a lot. Better than all of the other cinema school people I went with (all of whom were way more excited to see the movie than me and all of whom didn't like it -- but that isn't saying much. these people hate most new movies). One action sequence in particular I did not like because the whole thing was done with CGI and it did not look realistic. A lot of people have said this is the best sequence in the movie (with all of the Agent Smiths) but it was my least favorite part of the movie because it looked so horribly fake. Other than that one sequence, I enjoyed all of the action. It was very heavy on the stylized slow motion mumbo-jumbo but it wouldn't be the Matrix if it wasn't. The action sequences were quite obviously designed as action sequences not plot points but that didn't matter to me when I was watching it. They throw in enough variation and unexpected twists to keep it interesting. If I had to make one complaint it would be that the kung-fu stuff always seems to go on a little longer than i want it to. It doesn't really becoming boring, but not being an expert on martial arts all of those kicks and punches just start to look alike after awhile.

That covers the action, what makes up the rest of the movie is some development of what Zion is like (it doesn't look very much like saving to me frankly) complete with a ton of unneccessary wide shots that probably cost a fortune. The 'philosophical' stuff all helped the movie a lot in my opinion. Sure it distracts from the characters and the action but it gives the film some universal meaning. What does it mean to be 'the one'? Why is the struggle for good vs. evil inevitable? What makes us human? All of these issues are dealt with by the film and it's clear the Watchowski's (however that's spelled) are not settling for crowd-pleasing action but actually have a vision at work here that they understand even if nobody else does.

That brings me to why I liked the movie so much. There's a sequence at the end which involves a lot of revelations and plot development but is difficult for most of the audience to understand because of the way it's written. Obviously it was intentional and I think it was brave of the filmmakers to risk losing over half of their audience to remain true to their vision. They are not catering to the lowest common denominator here but to the integrity of the story itself which I find admirable. There are dream sequences filtered throughout that tie into the end and give the movie a good sense of structure that's missed in most movies of this kind. Finally, the revelations revealed in the end gave me a much greater appreciation for what the matrix really is and what the resistance represents. I was honestly suprised and I like being surprised especially by a big budget sequel whose audience is going mostly for the action.

I'll agree that the acting always felt phony and stilted but this is the matrix we're talking about, the trilogy that dared to choose Keanu Reeves as it's central character. Is anyone expecting good acting from this movie? The length could be a problem if the action sequences bore you (as they do go on for extended periods of time) or the philosophical speechmaking loses you (especially near the end) but personally I felt the movie flowed well and would have sat there longer and enjoyed it if the movie were even longer. Don't buy into the hype, don't go into the theater whooping and hollering, and just allow the movie to surprise you and stun you and you'll probably have a good time. I liked this movie A LOT more than the first one, and now I'm actually looking forward to the final chapter. I can't believe I'm saying that.
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

I love being right...
    hooray for test screenings...

I warned you all the movie wasn't all that great as a movie. The only thing I will say is that if you were let down or puzzled by the ending, just remember you only saw the first half of the real movie. November is not too far off...

Raven-SDI
    §
  • Ozone%s's Photo
    I'm going to see it later today.
    I enjoyed the first a lot, I hope the special effects will be greatly enhanced in this movie. They better be.

Oh and Ty, I'm looking forward to that 10 min Orgy scene.
  • Cap'n Quack%s's Photo
    what do you mean a 10 minute orgy????? :0
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Fuck you and your small screens.

This shit comes out on IMAX in a few weeks.
  • Tyler%s's Photo
    Oh.

And... why the FUCK is he Kung Fuing their asses? In the last movie he fucking jumped into that dude and ripped him apart! But now he's just flying around. WHAT THE HELL! I thought Kung Fu and bullets and shit didn't matter in the Matrix. If he can tear apart the code, what the fucking Hell is he doing punching them?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Oh.

And... why the FUCK is he Kung Fuing their asses? In the last movie he fucking jumped into that dude and ripped him apart! But now he's just flying around. WHAT THE HELL! I thought Kung Fu and bullets and shit didn't matter in the Matrix. If he can tear apart the code, what the fucking Hell is he doing punching them?

Because a guy holding out his hand and making people disappear instantly makes a less good movie, that's why.
  • Cap'n Quack%s's Photo
    I saw it. It was awesome. Neo could be a good baseball player.
  • bokti%s's Photo
    Of course it didn't deliver. The only series of movies that EVER had a decent sequel was Best of the Best.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Ed, I totally agree. It's a good movie, and I enjoyed it a lot. The problem is when you expect too much, and that's what a lot of people do.

Overally, remember that this is only half a movie. It's a 4.5 hour movie in two parts that come out half a year from each other. If you went and saw only half of X2, would you be totally excited and happy about it? Not completely.

7.8/10
  • Foozycoaster%s's Photo
    Some of you guys are tarded. The movie was awesome. You went in there and forced yourself to overanalise, and be dissapointed. Some people....

Movies are entertainment first, art second.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo

Some of you guys are tarded.  The movie was awesome.  You went in there and forced yourself to overanalise, and be dissapointed.  Some people....

Movies are entertainment first, art second.

You just owned Ty. Im not going to get into anything I just thought the movie was fucking awsome and the preivew for Revolutions made it all the more better.
  • gymkid dude%s's Photo
    K.

You know when he goes to see the oracle? The chinese guy is like "I'm sorry", then they do a huge fight on tables.

Neo couldnt beat him, although he would have eventually.

Since that guy that fights neo then takes him to the oracle didnt get beaten by him, and is a program (made by the machines), and Neo beats the shit out of 3 agents no problem...why don't they replace the agents with copies of that guy? They clearly have the technology to make him, and he's clearly better than agents.

Also, why dont agents give themselves unlimited ammo?
  • TheGuardian%s's Photo
    I thought the movie was awesome aswell. and yes my prayers were answered when some new moves really did show up (leapfrogging over the Smith clones) the semi truck crashing into each other was quite spectacular. the problem with this movie is probably with my self, at the point where neo meets the architect of the Matrix my "lightbulb" burnt out, and was confused. with the doors between matrix's and the whole thing with the video mirrors and on and on with the philosophical parts where i might just have to go back and get more out of what i heard.
    i rated this movie an A, in my school newspaper article, a lot of my friends asked why not make it an A+ simply for two reasons i think a movie should a went was the ending if u make a film its best if you end it somehow otherthan ubruptly cut you off, it was nothing important really but something that agitated me.

and to some of my friends here, this is a movie where you have to actually THINK, yeah their are jokes here and there, and some kick ass fighting/racing scenes but to really understand the whole film is to actually try and understand the meaning of it.. the fight between and good and evil? is the problem Choice? or is it universal instincts that drives us all?

all in all it was a great movie, and best of all i don't have to wait 2yrs to see the final part.
  • TheGuardian%s's Photo
    sorry to repost again to answer gymkid's question

possibly it was because the chinese guy was one of listed "for deletion programs" and decided to go help the humans by protecting the Oracle. remember when the Oracle said that machines have a choice when they are ready to be cut.

the reason why those agents don't have unlimited ammo is probably becuase thats how their program is built, Neo and the humans don't follow a program they rig the program to help them fight the agents.
    same thing goes for the copying thing, when Agent Smith was free'd from the programs he did'nt need to follow the rules the Matrix had in store for him, rather he'd make more copies of himself over and over again until he had enough numbers of himself to "possibly" fight neo.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    You see in the preview you the end when he and Agent Smith fight and ALL the agent Smiths are lined up up and down the street. Fuck Revolutions looks amazing.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    But does protecting the oracle really mean helping the humans or is it just helping to maintain the system? Maybe you should watch it again, I think you missed a few things. gymkid dude, your questions all have answers within the movie. The system which runs the matrix could maybe make the agents invincible but they don't want to. It's all explained in the movie, really.
  • TheGuardian%s's Photo
    true i probably have to see it again, its a bit hard to understand it.. i sometimes think of it as a bunch of yoda's talking. (you know the deslexic talk 'sp').

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading