General Chat / The Matrix Reloaded...

• Not so Great Brain%s's Photo
    I don't really know why everyone is complaining about the fight scenes. I mean, it wouldn't be The Matrix without kickass special effect scenes. Who cares if 2/3 of the movie doesn't have a lot to do with the actual plot?

I think the big special effects fight scenes were originaly placed in the original Matrix to show you what they are capable of doing inside it. If you didn't see any fight scenes, it'd be like a space-age movie about Jesus... A guy walking around trying to find his meaning. Wait, that's not Jesus. Oh well, you get the point. Without big fight scenes, it's boring and short. The special effects and big fight scenes are all completely necessary. Maybe they didn't have to be as lengthy, but it's all necessary and actually an important feature of the movie. Not just to grab your attention, but to show you how powerful Neo is against these machines.

The reason Neo is always fighting Smith is because Smith actually killed Neo back in the first movie and wants revenge... Or something. It doesn't really go along with the actual plot... It's just like an obstacle he has to overcome. Except this has actually turned into a whole seperate plot in the movie... I guess Smith is his new biggest rival now or something.

Yes, the movie could've been cut down to about 1 and a half hours or even less. The big Zion party at the beginning with Neo fucking Trinity was worthless. It goes right from a big inspirational speech by Morpheus to some random orgy. I'm still trying to figure out how they could make such great thongs (I saw about 5) in such a shitty ghetto city and have dirty un-washed clothes. The fight scenes were pretty lengthy I admit. They could've cut those in half. But I'm glad they didn't since they did kick ass. If they shortened the movie by about a half hour they easily could've combined Reloaded and Revolution into one totally kickass and insanely awesome 3 and a half hour movie. In my opinion, they should've done that. The cliff hanger kinda sucked. It just ended with the agent disguised as a human in Zion. You know Neo will just kick his ass... He's not too signifigant. A better cliff hanger would've at least made me give a damn.

Yeah.
  • Tyler%s's Photo

Who cares if 2/3 of the movie doesn't have a lot to do with the actual plot?

Yes. Who cares... You know, considering that the plot it what makes a movie. Aside from the moving images.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    1. What the hell are the twins? what kind of program?
    Programs written by the French guy whose title I can't spell. They kicked ass... I was so disappointed when they died. I hope they come back.

2. I know Dozer died, but what happened to Tank?
    Movie reason: Tank was killed (briefly mentioned in the scene b/t Link and his sister).
    Real reason: Actor playing Tank had a falling out w/ producers, and on the day he quit/was fired, he came in and starting throwing stuff around and making a mess.

3. The guy at the end, i would have prefered a better ending cliffhanger.
    That's Smith, of course, and I called that ending five minutes before it ended. So as a bad cliffhanger, I agree.

4. What did Morpheus inject into Trinity? probably adreniline but i would have liked to know.
    Something to jumpstart her vitals? It doesn't really matter. We just accept that it was something meant to help her.

5. Can a program be deleted by shooting it? i refer to the Keymaker (and where is the Gatekeeper? )
    If a program dies in The Matrix, it is supposed to return to the source to be deleted and reprogrammed. Most do. Smith didn't. Keymaker did.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    I'm gonna stop reading this topic since you assholes keep posting spoilers without warning.

Dickheads.
  • Andrew%s's Photo
    Just saw it, cool movie

It was less BELIEVABLE than the first, but alot COOLER.

The first one got you thinking, what if I really am being controlled by a computer and there is no way I can control it

This one totally through the physcological aspect to the wind and took in a more Science Fictionish approach.

I thought it was rather clever to have Agent Smith replace that one dude and try and kill Neo halfway through the movie, but it sort of gave away the spoiler at the end

The fight with the Smiths was probably my favorite part, very well done I think, intense, and cool to watch

thats quickly followed by the car chase, which, though it was way over-hyped, was one of the best ever, right up there with Blues Brothers and Gone in 60 seconds.

Now for complaints:

1. Did those walker things remind anyone of Exo-Squad (if anyone remembers exosquad, maaaajor props), kinda hokey

2. Ok, I can understand how Neo can stop bullets in the Matrix, but stop Sentinels in mid-air, Outside the Matrix, now that just violates the premise of the movie, unless they weren't outside the matrix, and tthose sentinels were really computer programs, and the matrix they know is just pat of an even larger Matrix meant to keep them busy until the real attack begins, could that be the basis of the next one, freeing minds AGAIN, gets you thinking doesnt it

3. If Agent Smith "possessed" the one freed mind, and then took his minds place in the real world, wouldnt that happen with EVERY person he copied himself into (i.e. woman with groceries=agent=smith) and when every wakes up at the end of the 3rd one (assuming they do) then leftover smith programs would be running around inside of human bodies of people they possessed in the matrix?

And now my most far out and improbable theory on what happens next:

Neo is schizophrenic, there is realy no Matrix, or machines, or Morpheus or trinity or anything like that, he's hallucinating, the agents are doctors trying to catch him and put him in a mental hospital and smith is the head doctor, whom Neo in his hallucinations sees as a threat

Ever notice since he was "freed" he hasnt interacted with any regular humans inside the matrix, only other freed minds, agents, and various other programs

think of the core of the movie from Neo's perpective, machines are out to get him, nothing is what it seems, you cant trust anyone, sounds schizophrenic to me

I know that probably far out, but it really gets you thinking about what kind of a nasty twist they could add to the end of revolutions.

I'm probably wrong, but if I'm right, then I'm gonna point and laugh at all of your shocked bunny faces and laugh out loud and say "Damn I called that one!"
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    neat movie. Corny in parts, but a decent thinker (or atleast more of thinker than the last few 100 movies to come out...)

To those who are yankin' it to their own words of self-righteousness and self-proclaimed intelligence: grow up. Thinking you know everything is just too "typical teenager" to me.
  • JDMCivicHB%s's Photo
    I didnt like the movie very much. Even with all the action it seemed very boring and drawn out. I kept sitting there saying to myself "get on with it already". Was it me or did everyone except Neo seem helpless? In the first one Trinity and Morpheus are the shit and in this one they cant do anything without Neo. And the guy from OZ with the dreds was annoying just like on OZ.

The best part of the movie was the end when the credits rolled and "calm like a bomb" came on. I did like the end it made me guess what would happend in the 3rd and how Neo did what he did...blah,blah,blah. I'm gonna watch some of the Animatrix movies and see if it makes Reloaded any better.
  • JDMCivicHB%s's Photo

1. What the hell are the twins? what kind of program?
    Programs written by the French guy whose title I can't spell.  They kicked ass... I was so disappointed when they died.  I hope they come back.

I think they were those programs that had gone bad like the Oracle said. That's just my guess.
  • iris%s's Photo
    Someone above said it best. The story is less original then the first movie, but a lot deeper. More expanded upon. More biblical as well. I definitely think that this is a 'deep movie', regardless of what anyone says. It wasn't made for purely eye candy, although some of the fight scenes were either A.too long or B.unnecessary. But everyone knows that a movie that is 100% philosophy would disappoint all those people seeing the Matrix for the special effects. There are a large number of those you know. And selling tickets is the number one priority, all the time. So they have the special effects they needed to keep the crowds happy.

But for the more educated audience, the movie was excellent on a different level. It basically follows the bible, in many different ways.
    A.Neo is the futuristic reincarnation of Jesus Christ.
    B.The Architect is most likely 'God'
    C.Bane (I think that was his name, the guy who survived the Zion demolition) is the Devil.
    -And please don't take these 100% literally, but I'm pretty positive that's what they're all based on.

And I think that Matrix Reloaded also did open up some questions that people asked themselves, just as the first movie did (although the first movie did a hell of a lot more, and was more obvious with it). I mean, who says that our planet hasn't been completely fucked over 5 times in the past, and this is just the 6th part of an infinite cycle, with our planet dying and coming back to life all over again? And according to the Architect, there were 5 others just like Neo, but I think the whole point is that Neo separated himself from the other 5 by choosing the wrong door. The whole "love shall set you free" trip. So since Neo broke the cycle, that would make him the one and only 'one' (confusing sorta).

The Architect was pretty confusing, although I got the gist of it. I think I'd need to see that part all over again to catch every single thing, but Im pretty sure anyone would need to do that. Random note: was it weird to anyone else seeing Roy Jones Jr. playing a part in it? He was Captain Mallard (who eventually died when Zion fell) for those who aren't aware...That just caught me off guard.

As for Revolutions, I can't wait for it.
    I love the way they're establishing the evil Bane character, who already tried to kill Neo in that hallway, who was the one (obviously) who triggered the EMP killing everyone, and is now the only human left other then the shipmates.
    The Twins were awesome, I'm hoping they're in Revolutions as well. From the commercials and previews I thought they were really prominent characters in the movie, ended up only being in one sequence, for about 15 minutes.
    I also think that Trinity should have died in this movie. Because she's too ugly to be the love of "the one".

PS, if I were Neo, I woulda kicked the shit out of the Architect. He looked like a bitch.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo

Someone above said it best. The story is less original then the first movie, but a lot deeper. More expanded upon. More biblical as well. I definitely think that this is a 'deep movie', regardless of what anyone says. It wasn't made for purely eye candy, although some of the fight scenes were either A.too long or B.unnecessary. But everyone knows that a movie that is 100% philosophy would disappoint all those people seeing the Matrix for the special effects. There are a large number of those you know. And selling tickets is the number one priority, all the time. So they have the special effects they needed to keep the crowds happy.

But for the more educated audience, the movie was excellent on a different level. It basically follows the bible, in many different ways.
    A.Neo is the futuristic reincarnation of Jesus Christ.
    B.The Architect is most likely 'God'
    C.Bane (I think that was his name, the guy who survived the Zion demolition) is the Devil.
    -And please don't take these 100% literally, but I'm pretty positive that's what they're all based on.

And I think that Matrix Reloaded also did open up some questions that people asked themselves, just as the first movie did (although the first movie did a hell of a lot more, and was more obvious with it). I mean, who says that our planet hasn't been completely fucked over 5 times in the past, and this is just the 6th part of an infinite cycle, with our planet dying and coming back to life all over again? And according to the Architect, there were 5 others just like Neo, but I think the whole point is that Neo separated himself from the other 5 by choosing the wrong door. The whole "love shall set you free" trip. So since Neo broke the cycle, that would make him the one and only 'one' (confusing sorta).

The Architect was pretty confusing, although I got the gist of it. I think I'd need to see that part all over again to catch every single thing, but Im pretty sure anyone would need to do that. Random note: was it weird to anyone else seeing Roy Jones Jr. playing a part in it? He was Captain Mallard (who eventually died when Zion fell) for those who aren't aware...That just caught me off guard.

As for Revolutions, I can't wait for it.
    I love the way they're establishing the evil Bane character, who already tried to kill Neo in that hallway, who was the one (obviously) who triggered the EMP killing everyone, and is now the only human left other then the shipmates.
    The Twins were awesome, I'm hoping they're in Revolutions as well. From the commercials and previews I thought they were really prominent characters in the movie, ended up only being in one sequence, for about 15 minutes.
    I also think that Trinity should have died in this movie. Because she's too ugly to be the love of "the one".

PS, if I were Neo, I woulda kicked the shit out of the Architect. He looked like a bitch.

I dunno but the EMP didnt kill the people, it just made the robots aware of them before they were in position and then they killed the ships. Now where Im confused is did Zion fall or what? The way Iris says it it did but I dont know I was just drooling by the end when they were talking about it. Oh well, Im gonna have to go see it tomorrow.
  • JFK%s's Photo
    The hatred Kirii and I have for "The Matrix" is pretty well-known. In fact, it was in a Matrix topic that we actually met and became homosexual lovers.
    Oddly enough, though, Kirii used to be the moderate voice of reason back in those days.

Fascia8: How is it that you undermine the movies that have the potential to expand the minds of people with inhibitions?
    Fascia8: If it can make hundreds people realise that insecurity is keen, then why the fuck do you rag on it?
    Stupid-Git: Because it was a fucking shit movie. I don't give a fucking crap what it's sociological or anthropological ramifications are. It was a shit movie. So I will devote my life to putting it down.
    Fascia8: I've never heard so much heresy in my life.
    Fascia8: Well, aside from SFK.

I have come to realise that he was right, just as he has come to realise that it is a lot of fun, shitting on popular culture.
    Funny, that.

"The Matrix" isn't high art, nor was it ever intended to be. It was never meant to be this huge philosophical movie which will change your life. And I think it makes sense to judge the movie for what it is, not what it should be.
    Sure, all the retards who watched it, had orgasms to Morpheus' speeches, came out (haha...), and acted like more-enlightened-than-though Buddist monks like to pretend that it is a truly revolutionary and philosophical movie, but then, I like to pretend that the majority of people have seen "Barton Fink" and "Naked Lunch", but it doesn't make it true.

So, it's strange, then, that even trying to judge "The Matrix" as the overblown, shallow lightshow that it is, it still fails to engage. Although, there is nothing especially wrong with it. Some of the themes are interesting enough (even though they all fall apart under heavy analysis). The action scenes just seem boring and the pace is all too slow.
    But, hey, that's just me.

Yes, a lot of people know me still as "The Fag Who Hates The Matrix". But I'm through with ranting about it. There are better (or worse) movies to crusade against. Movies that try to be something they aren't.
    "Requiem For A Dream" and "Mulholland Dr." being prime examples.
    Yes, the way people treat "The Matrix" as high art is annoying.
    But the way "Requiem For A Dream" thinks that it's the best movie everer is even more annoying.

Truth is, there are very few movies that are all that deep... Let me go through them.
    Videodrome/eXistenZ, Naked Lunch, Fight Club, Jacob's Ladder, Barton Fink, Abre Los Ojos...
    And most of the above are terminally flawed by also failing to present their ideas in an interesting manner, anyway. But still, at least the ideas they present actually have depth to them.
    (Truth is, I only included "Naked Lunch" because I don't get it. You need to be a zen master to understand that shit. Or read the book. Whichever.)
    I guess my point is: Never expect a movie which is sold using explosions and shooting to be all that deep.
    That's not the point. The point is to cheer the self-righteous slaughter.
    Yay.
    Maybe that's why I didn't like "The Matrix". The way Morpheus justifies the muder of innocent people is offputting. It seems just like saying, "We're trying not to be an average action movie. So we have to justify all the people we shoot in order to meet our goals. Yeah." Though, it could have been an interesting route to go down - the morallity of killing someone in order of eventually free them is fascinating, especially in the current social climate.
    Curiously enough, "The Matrix" avoids all that shit. It doesn't even fully explore its own idea of aritificial reality, focusing instead of the action. But look at that. Once again, I am judging the movie on what it could be, instead of what it is.

Movies are entertainment first, art second.

I hereby declare Mumford the best movie ever. EVER.

Of course I don't like "The Matrix". Just like I don't like "X-Men", or "Spiderman", or any of that shit. It's not because I'm arrogant enough to demand deep meaning in every movies I watch... It's because they fail to grip me because I grew up watching shitloads of action flicks and now they're all just the same. And very boring.
    I am perfectly capable of watching unintelligent, lightweight nonsense. In fact I prefer it to all the pretentious, bullshit independant cinema I seem to watch so much of (Jesus... Ever seen Dead Of Alive2?).
    At the same time, I'm not going to say that Mumford, or whatever, is the best movie ever. They're just enjoyable. That's all.
    And that's probably the best way to enjoy "The Matrix".
    I just wish I could go all the way back, and watch it again without any preconceptions or any of the bullshit that's ruined it for me now.

Maybe there's something to learn from this. And that is - fucking ENJOY The Matrix Reloaded instead of whining about it.
    Because anyone who whines about The Sixth Day is a retard.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    git, you are the very incarnation of verbal masturbation.
  • JFK%s's Photo
    Blitz-Sama, you are the very verbal incarnation of trepanation. Only more painful.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    almost as painful as that forced rhyme...
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    Ouch low blow to git.
  • JFK%s's Photo

Actually, I wasn't even aware it rhymed until you said that.
    Honestly.
    Really.
    I am still cool.
    You believe me, don't you?
  • JBruckner%s's Photo

Actually, I wasn't even aware it rhymed until you said that.
    Honestly.
    Really.
    I am still cool.
    You believe me, don't you?

No?
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    no.
  • JFK%s's Photo
    Bastards.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    Really this is all nonsense. Lets play "patsy."

Tags