H2H7 / [H2H7 Round 2 Match 3] - Italian Stallions vs Hurricanes

Which park is best?

1. Italian Stallions - Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Damned 10 votes [41.67%]
    • Otsdarva
    • macncheezburger
    • Goliath123
    • csw
    • SSSammy
    • Twitch
    • Dinosaurs
    • Coasterbill
    • MCI
    • Ling
    Percentage of vote: 41.67%
  2. Hurricanes - The Pridelands 14 votes [58.33%]
    • inthemanual
    • Liampie
    • RCTER2
    • Cocoa
    • Whitehawk
    • BelgianGuy
    • Freizeitfan
    • 5dave
    • pashearer23
    • PRMEshockzzNE
    • lightkeeper
    • geewhzz
    • Xtreme97
    • Louis!
    Percentage of vote: 58.33%
  • Roomie%s's Photo

Whats the difference? If i need to make things invisible but keep stuff on the square (make peeps walk up the river rapids steps for example. I build something below the path and use the mini hex thing in codex to make the path vanish. Then build the steps below that and raise it up to the path position

• Dirk Pitt%s's Photo

Chairlift Method - Having all the component of the track you want invisible above ground and not underground,  Create an new coaster track underneath the components you want invisible with an barrel on each tile, then using 4car or codex to raise the land above the track, then putting a chairlift wire at the very top of the land creating a chairlift tunnel. Lower the land to where it was and in codex, FF the barrels and now everything between the new coaster track and track piece you want invisible will be invisible. You also now can create scenery objects or other coaster track in the same tile and it will be visible not invisible. (If you just FF'ed the tile without doing this, everything you build on the tile will be invisible). Then after you place everything you want to be visible, delete the chairlift wires.

Order Method - Place an barrel and shrub on the tile you want invisible and re-arrange everything in codex by the means of cloning objects that you want invisible to be BELOW the barrel object in codex and everything to be visible to be ABOVE the barrel. Once you have this done, FF the barrel and everything you want visible and invisible will be done.

For some reason the order method didn't work for the second drop track, it only worked for one drop track, I'm guessing it has something to do with the drop track taking two tile spaces that's causing it not to work because every time I tried it on the second drop track, an error message would appear. There was a total of 3 drop tracks on that map. So I had to resort to the chairlift method, the downside was that I had to rebuild the interior of the temple again after I made everything invisible since raising the land demolished all the stacked fences and objects I placed there.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

I voted for the Stallions pretty much for that hack alone. The park is sort of a one trick pony but holy fuck what a trick...

Congrats to the Hurricanes though.

• Loopy%s's Photo

Congrats Hurricanes and thanks for everyone that voted on this. I just wanted to say a huge well done to Dirk and Poke for getting this park finished to such a high standard. 

I went AWOL for a lot of the build process but they really stepped up and pulled it together. Very happy to see the Intamin drop coaster hack finally used and released in such a unique way.

• Stoksy%s's Photo

Knew it was nin haha.

Pridelands (Hurricanes):

I should preface this by saying that I don't traditionally play RCT with sounds, but after seeing some of the comments about the music I made sure to view this park with sounds. IT WAS WORTH IT! As someone who as also been listening to a tonne of disney soundtracks recently it was such a pleasure to hear the Lion King soundtrack in every corner of the park. Kudos to that brilliant idea. I'm also sure that I'll miss a tonne of details having not seen the Lion King in many years.

The entrance area was a little messy, but architecturally very solid. I think that this park really combined a lot of the things that the other RCT2 parks of this round maybe lacked in certain areas into one cohesive entry. Texture, structure, breathing room, interesting foliage, colour. The combination of dirt path with crazy paving and brick worked really well here.

Moving right to the launched coaster. Breaking up the pathing with animals was a lovely touch that really complemented the theme whilst also combating the 'too much path' problem. Things like the small stage added not only an interesting non-architectural detail but a touch of colour as well. Anyways, the safari theme was really well done; combining the thatch roof with the peach diagonal steel [an interesting object, which based on this park can either be really good or look out of place] on the station. I think that this park was a real proponent for colour-blending. You've Cocoa using darker colours as a means of contrast, while I feel that nin [at least as evidence in this park] effectively utilising colours as compliments.

The layout itself was strong, although I do think that the really short initial launch was a bit odd [again, my knowledge of real-life coasters is lacking so perhaps it's realistic...I don't know] but the interaction with the landscape and pathing was what really brought this coaster home for me. I think that it just felt so natural flowing through the landscape; where even if the coaster wasn't there, the landscape and pathing would still flow.

I honestly wouldn't have noticed the old billboards were they not pointed out in Rob's streams. However, now that I notice them I love the idea and execution. Especially considering the safari-africa theme it would make a lot of sense for those billboards to be left unused; great job there. I noticed a couple of comments about the "texas giant" sign; it's difficult not to see it as the original intention, but I think that the attempt is commendable. As soon as you get past the "this is not a sign" mindset it's a subtle texture piece that also adds some colour to certain places.

The overly sharp point used on the restaurant building is where I think the angled diagonal roof object can be a little obnoxious. It's an insignificantly small part of the park, but I was irked by it on first viewing and continue to be subsequently so I'd thought I'd mention it. I did love the interior though; the fireplace, overhanging flowers, mickey mouse, are all such great touches to see in a park. Interiors can add so much to a park and I'm so glad that the time was taken to do so for such an important building here. There's obviously some more gorgeous architecture around this area...I'm just amazed at how so few colours are used yet it doesn't look overbearing. This park really reaffirmed my appreciation for nin's work I think; where  the architecture is still pleasant and interesting to look at despite not having the colour; being able to blend similar colours and textures together to create cohesive architecture is something that I love yet it seemingly mastered by so few in the RCT community.

I did like the stage; it would have been nice to see some peeps there [even if you'd just used the 1k sitting peep object] though. Maybe even a clearer entrance could have helped; after just commenting on the brilliant subtleties I think that the line for the stage was too subtle. It could have probably used some banners, or small stalls out the front I think. The iconic rock formation was a lovely centrepiece to the park; but I think that it suffered a little from the land-face texture. Especially when using the repetition of the 1k land blocks, the land-face texture becomes a little overbearing; I wish that it could be made smoother in some way but that's more of an RCT-problem rather than an execution problem.

The area around the mine train coaster was an interesting contrast to the relative serenity of the rest of the park. I think that it worked considering what the area was based around [at least from memory of the movie]. The murals were really awesome, but I always struggle with being able to see the bigger picture with them because of the more defined edges of the stone object. I'm still yet to accurately see what the murals are supposed to represent, but based on other comments that's clearly a personal problem haha. The animals on the heartline track over the path was another great detail; I'm sure I'd appreciate it a lot more with a better memory of the movie though.

I can remember enough to understand the reason for having the two trains on the invert so close together though. Really great contrasting area to the rest of the park that I think was executed really well. From the rock pillars, to the hyenas, to the bones the area really showed off some of the appeal of minimalism. I do think that having the custom flat the same colour as the coaster made it blend in too much. Given that it is a flat ride, I think that it would have been better to make it stand out slightly more; whether by changing the colours or not having it positioned so centralised in the area where the rest of the coaster was so visible.

Nonetheless, awesome park. Can appreciate that this is probably the best park of the round for me [at least RCT2 park]. The one obvious flaw was perhaps the overuse of the jungle shrub objects, I stand by that I think but can't off the top of my head think of how those areas could have been better executed. Awesome job Hurricanes, especially nin of course; but also the contributions of the other builders.

• wheres_walto%s's Photo

Dude, sounds can add sooo much atmosphere to a park, I always play with headphones because it helps me imagine myself being there (not while I'm building usually, just when I view parks lol).  I'm honestly a little disappointed when parks don't have custom music

• Stoksy%s's Photo

^Oh yeah, whenever custom music is supplied I always make sure that I spend at least one viewing of the park with the in-game sounds playing. I likewise never have RCT sounds when I build though; that's more what I was referring to there.

• AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

Late review but review nonetheless:

Pridelands

Pros:

- Love the Lion King, so you get +1 there!

- Pride Rock was really well done! 

- That animal stack is awesome!

- Loved Stampede, great layout

- Rafiki's Treetop Spin was great, really simple but nicely executed.

- The architecture in that area by Rafiki was on point! Very Lion King-esque, beautiful and detailed without being over detailed.

- Foliage was nice and dense, very well done.

- Great simba mural! instantly recognized it.

- Timon and Pumbaa's Wild Ride was great as well, simple and well executed. Love the bridge with grown simba crossing over it! 

Cons: 

- Wish you could have done animal sculptures instead of using those horrendous animal scenery objects. Missed a good opportunity to showcase some great sculpture work.

- Those peach steel roofs were SO OUT OF PLACE! I don't understand why they were there, it did not fit at all and was just not very nice. That peach restaurant in the back... it's a nice building that does NOT belong in this park.

- While the entry was beautiful, I would have expected a more grand entryway to the park. It is the Lion King after all. 

- I feel like the cliff where Stampede takes place could have been grander, more dusty and rocky and less vegetated, so it looks more like where Mufasa died in the film.

-  Be prepared area was not dark enough. The coaster should have been black / dark, so that the bones stood out more. Instead they blended together and made the area look too bright and messy.

- Landscaping in this area feels unfinished and unrefined.

- The other two murals - I have zero clue what they represent.

Overall a great park, some nice ideas and beautiful coasters. Glad to finally see a Lion King park made. 

75%

Indiana Jones - I don't have LL but from what I saw in that video... the trap door trick blew my mind.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Someone got very lucky with the revote on Pridelands... Frankly I think the score is a bit ridiculous. These 80+ scores are handed out like sweets nowadays.
  • G Force%s's Photo

Someone got very lucky with the revote on Pridelands... Frankly I think the score is a bit ridiculous. These 80+ scores are handed out like sweets nowadays.

Just because you dont like a park doesn't mean it shouldn't get a high score. Plus, it was only like a .4% increase, so really its not a big deal.

• Faas%s's Photo

It's a really good park, but it's small, therefore 80% is pretty high. It's 80% for a H2H park, but not for a full sized park. The main problem therefore is why H2H parks (and especially older H2H parks from previous seasons) get into accolade voting at all. 

• Louis!%s's Photo

^Well, that annoys me somewhat too, but what is done is done unfortunately.

(I'm talking about H2H getting accolades)

• Version1%s's Photo

I think it's funny someone actually is surprised by this. The declining value of accolades could be observed since the last H2H.

Btw, I too think that accolade voting for competition parks is stupid. Like 80% of the H2H Parks got gold, wtf?

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    of course the majority of h2h parks are gonna get gold because you have the best people on the site on them
  • Faas%s's Photo

Nobody is saying they aren't good, but if you filter the park database only showing gold parks, you can see why H2H golds aren't the same as other golds. For starters they are way smaller most of the time. I think when people rate the H2H parks, they rate them comparing them to other H2H park, and not so much comparing them to older accolades in the database.

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    but on the flip side you have people voting gold for any park that reaches a certain size.
  • bigshootergill%s's Photo

This would probably make life more complicated, but could there be a new accolade category opened for competition parks?

• Louis!%s's Photo

But you look down the list and Gold is on every single release.

I understand that there may be a step up in quality. But Gold is what Super Runner Up once was. Its for those parks that are just not quite spotlight quality, but are far superior than Runner Up (Silver).

Lenox Mall fits into this category, it is of amazingly high quality, but can you really say that something like Circus Circus (I'll take my own park here as it wont cause controversy) is on the same level? No, it's not. But it's gold, like every other bloody release recently.

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    it's because gold h2h parks can be either gold or spotlight in quality. Lenox is spot quality but cannot get anything higher than a gold
  • nin%s's Photo
    Frankly I can't complain about the revote but I will agree that's it's a bit ridiculous to see H2H parks get accolades. Accolades have always been for projects created solely for that purpose, not any other park that happens to be in our database. Spotlight and Gold hardly mean anything to me now because they're incredibly obtainable. Just finish a park of decent quality and you're bound to win something.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading