RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Those are probably the land tiles

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

This was a feature of 8cars, but the count was never consistent or accurate, drove me kind of nuts! So I ran a handful of maxed out parks through Open. The "show_limits" for the object count was nearly bang on! This will make building with the object limit so much easier knowing the exact space left... until the object limit is removed of course. :D

• oli414%s's Photo

Yeah, I downloaded some parks from here as well just to check. It should actually be correct. I'm not sure about the 66000 thing. But I think X7123M3-256 is correct. Those are counted as well.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

If you have a map of (what OpenRCT2 considers) 254x254, you have 256 x 256 surface elements, or 65536. This includes the outer ring of invisible surface elements that are there to have the map edges appear correctly.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

A request to people having trouble with pathfinding. I'd like to have parks that currently have pathfinding issues in OpenRCT2, so we can test pathfinding improvements. If you submit one, please also tell/mark where the pathfinding goes wrong. If you don't want to make your park public yet, you can send it via PM and I won't share it with others.

• spacek531%s's Photo

I was looking at Belmont shores and peeps were having a hell of a time getting to the entrance of the woodie from the path that goes underneath it: https://www.nedesign...belmont-shores/

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Belmont was hosted on the "Showcase server" and the peeps all ended up in an awkward single loop of path after a given amount of time.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

Investigation carried out by the pathfinding contributor shows that the woodie has a disconnected entrance and that people are trying to get to that. We're not sure what to do with that.

--------------------------

On another note, he did manage to solve problems in some parks where people would not leave the park. This turned out to be due to forcibly removed park entrances. This is now fixed upon import and should not happen again. Btw: you don't need to use the tile inspector to remove park entrances, you can just use Sandbox mode and remove it like any other object.

• spacek531%s's Photo

Invisible park entrances with invisible paths are still troublesome to remove.

• G Force%s's Photo

Investigation carried out by the pathfinding contributor shows that the woodie has a disconnected entrance and that people are trying to get to that. We're not sure what to do with that.

--------------------------

On another note, he did manage to solve problems in some parks where people would not leave the park. This turned out to be due to forcibly removed park entrances. This is now fixed upon import and should not happen again. Btw: you don't need to use the tile inspector to remove park entrances, you can just use Sandbox mode and remove it like any other object.

The disconnected entrance shouldn't be right. A hack was used to move the location of the entrance away from the station. It works fine in vanilla, so it must be something the doesn't transfer over correctly into Open.
  • CHE%s's Photo

Invisible park entrances with invisible paths are still troublesome to remove.

Lower the land beneath the entrance, right-click the support to remove.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

The disconnected entrance shouldn't be right. A hack was used to move the location of the entrance away from the station. It works fine in vanilla, so it must be something the doesn't transfer over correctly into Open.

If that hack isn't done properly it will cause this problem because the guests try to pathfind to the location marked in the ride structure, not the actual location of the entrance on the map, so you have to update both. It may appear to be working with just the map data updated, especially if only the entrance was moved. I posted a tutorial a while ago which had this issue.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

If that hack isn't done properly it will cause this problem because the guests try to pathfind to the location marked in the ride structure, not the actual location of the entrance on the map, so you have to update both. It may appear to be working with just the map data updated, especially if only the entrance was moved. I posted a tutorial a while ago which had this issue.

Why would the guests head for the entrance of the ride instead of the entrance of the queue?

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Hmm... that's a good point. I didn't actually check the guest AI code to see that they don't ... so I could well be wrong about this.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

I checked the code and this is how it works:
    - It picks an entrance from a ride, using the data from the ride struct.
    - The x, y and z coordinates are then fed into get_ride_queue_end()
    - If get_ride_queue_end() cannot find the entrance map element (which it won't in this case) it won't update the coordinates.

Here lies the problem: the original location does not have an entrance and most likely is unreachable. With RCT2's pathfinding, this is not a problem, as its algorithms will always try to send people in the right direction. With OpenRCT2's, however, it is: it tries to find a way via the paths and fails to do so.

I might be able to auto-fix entrance locations on import, which will hopefully solve the problem.

Edit: I have created a pull request here. My PR fixes station locations when loading the game. Belmont Shores is especially tricky since it the woodie has *two* entrances: one that has been sunk to z = 0, and one that is disconnected. In such cases, the highest entrance will be considered the real one.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

I have two questions.

1. Besides the Gee hack and disconnected entrances, are there any map element hacks that I'm unaware of? (Asking this because I didn't know about disconnected entrances, and these caused pathfinding issues in OpenRCT2.)

2. Are there parks that currently still exhibit pathfinding issues in OpenRCT2, but not in vanilla?

• spacek531%s's Photo

the highest entrance will be considered the real one.

How does this work with rides where the real entrance is below or at the same level? One of the previous title sequence parks (0.0.3 msci.svc iirc) has the peeps use an entrance below ground. In H2H7 I believe there was a western-themed cliffs park that X7123M3-256 worked on and has a swinging rope ride where peeps enter on ground level even when the real station is elevated.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

As I understand it, this patch aims to fix a mismatch between the ride entrance x/y coordinates and the actual location of the entrance building on the map. Clearly, if there is more than one entrance building for the same ride, a single one has to be selected, and picking the highest is basically an arbitrary criterion for doing that.

Presumably, if the entrance data is not correctly initialized then pathfinding is already broken, so if the wrong entrance is picked this just fails to fix it. I'm also not sure how common it is to have multiple entrances to a ride, though I could certainly see this being used to create a fasttrack queue or something of that ilk.

As long as this does not update entrance data when it already points to a tile containing an entrance for the ride, I don't think this will cause problems.

• G Force%s's Photo
    Lenox Mall by Geewhzz is one that seemed to have issues with peeps in Openrct2. Can't remember specifically but even so its another hack heavy park:
    https://www.nedesign...580/lenox-mall/
  • Gymnasiast%s's Photo

As I understand it, this patch aims to fix a mismatch between the ride entrance x/y coordinates and the actual location of the entrance building on the map. Clearly, if there is more than one entrance building for the same ride, a single one has to be selected, and picking the highest is basically an arbitrary criterion for doing that.

Presumably, if the entrance data is not correctly initialized then pathfinding is already broken, so if the wrong entrance is picked this just fails to fix it. I'm also not sure how common it is to have multiple entrances to a ride, though I could certainly see this being used to create a fasttrack queue or something of that ilk.

As long as this does not update entrance data when it already points to a tile containing an entrance for the ride, I don't think this will cause problems.

Belmont Shores had a woodie with two entrances: one that was sunk into the ground, and one that wasn't. That's what the criterion of taking the highest one comes from.

It always first checks if an entrance for that ride and that station exists in the specified place, and if so, it will leave that alone. It will also leave it alone if that entrance/exit is explicitly marked as being absent. It will only try to fix it when it doesn't find one and it isn't marked as non-existant.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading