RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Does your "G" stand for Genius? :D Thanks man!

EDIT: I'd like an explanation on how the load_object <x> command works as I believe I have the wrong understanding of it. I added an object to my dat folder, is this command used to import it into my game?

I didn't include the .dat expression when I typed in the object name as the commands specify.

• G Force%s's Photo

I'm not sure on the functionality difference between that command and just adding it with the object selector.  Maybe its a bit faster but I've never tried it myself, but my guess is that the object needs to be in the actual OpenRCT2 data folder, not just the vanilla RCT one.  As for the inclusion of the .dat tag, that I am not sure about.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo
    The load_object <x> is useful for when you want to add a scenery group .DAT without adding all of the scenery .DATs that are in it.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

https://www.reddit.c...ty_in_light_of/

Big news regarding save format - the dev team is looking for feedback here.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

The real question is how many people still play regular RCT2. If we have a large majority using open, then the format shouldn't matter. 

• FredD%s's Photo

I really want that object limit gone, the sooner the better. Can't even remember the last time I opened Vanilla anymore.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

I still use vanilla for Mass raise/lower of objects, and for a couple hacks that you can't do in open yet like changing a ride operating mode while it's open.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Trying to keep your park backward compatible with vanilla so you can use trainers is already a limitation as you then can't use the OpenRCT2 features that don't work in vanilla. Since the game is open source, you can always implement new features if they're missing - the latter thing you mention would be a very simple thing add.

I really want to see what the new object format looks like. There's a lot of potential to sort out the mess that is the current object format, but I don't know how radical of a departure the developers are planning.

• Sephiroth%s's Photo

Reading the comments in the reddit thread, I think being able to load OpenRCT parks in vanilla is something that just needs to go away. As soon as the devs get everything that you can do in vanilla into Open, it'll be time to move to a new format that grants them the (imo very understated) power needed to take Open to the next level. Calling it now: if Open doesn't get abandoned by devs, it'll make us wonder how we ever survived with vanilla and the trainers, and why we ever clamored to it like we do now.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    I already wonder how we survived with just vanilla. It shows definitely in the number of rct2 solos in the last 2ish years
  • disneylandian192%s's Photo
    Here's an idea I had, curious if others would also find this helpful. Instead of the "synchronize with adjacent stations" option, the player can select from a drop down menu of all rides which station to synchronize with. Now one can control specifically which rides are synced, without affecting other rides in the vicinity. Thoughts?
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Here's an idea I had, curious if others would also find this helpful. Instead of the "synchronize with adjacent stations" option, the player can select from a drop down menu of all rides which station to synchronize with. Now one can control specifically which rides are synced, without affecting other rides in the vicinity. Thoughts?

I love it. Submit your idea to github!

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

I suggested that idea a few days ago to Jeroen D. Stout, actually! It's also how Parkitect handles it, by the way.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

A contributor has just added a "show_limits" command to the console, that will show the number of used sprites, map elements, banners, rides, and their respective limits.

• janisozaur%s's Photo

31191437-640aa200-a93e-11e7-8760-2c9abbb

The image still shows older incantation `object_limits`, it was changed to `show_limits`, just like Gymnasiast said

• Liampie%s's Photo

This is incredibly useful.

• Recurious%s's Photo

That moment when you haven't even filled a third of your park yet and you get this.

YTYKWDM.png

But yea, pretty useful feature. Guess I will have to start saving my objects.

• oli414%s's Photo

I saw your suggestion Liampie so I thought I might as well add it. Please let me know if there's anything missing. I'm thinking about showing a percentage as well, I'll get to that when I have the time.

Hope you folks like it

• G Force%s's Photo

Isn't the max map data limit 196608, not 196096?

• Liampie%s's Photo

That moment when you haven't even filled a third of your park yet and you get this.
    YTYKWDM.png
    But yea, pretty useful feature. Guess I will have to start saving my objects.

Note that the object count starts at around 66000, not 0. The other 66000 are used for storing map data.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading