General Chat / Subtle Cultural Variety

• GammaZero%s's Photo
    Why even make round waffles? It makes a lot more sense to make them square.
  • G Force%s's Photo

When they are round, they are more consistently cooked.  If you have a square or rectangular waffle iron, its much harder to cook them consistently, because of the corners.  When you have a round iron, or whatever tool you prefer, you get a more consistent cook, which allows for quicker/better/easier production and consumption.

However, its important to note the different between simply a "waffle" and "Belgian Waffle".  I actually don't think the Belgian is actually Belgian though, because they are almost always round, but usually a "Belgian waffle" is thicker and has the deep grooves, while simply a "waffle" is thinner.

You do have the occasional square waffle at a small breakfast places, or a really high end restaurant.  Most of the older waffle irons are square, because they are easier to build/cheaper that way.

There is actually a restaurant called "Taste of Belgium" down the street from where I live, however as far as I can tell all the waffles on their menu are round in shape.

• SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

I don't really care about specifics, i just know that where i was had tons of waffle places and they were amazing

• Sephiroth%s's Photo
    Just to stir the pot.....

Duck Duck Gray Duck > Duck Duck Goose

So there ;)

Hahahahahhahaha *grabs popcorn*
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Wtf is a Bicky Burger? Joppie sauce is a Dutch invention, by the way.

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Most of the time condiments are used to mask the flavor or something you don't like. Why else do you think people would drown meatloaf in ketchup?

ketchup is a special case- ketchup is basically karo syrup with tomato flavoring- but "condiments" are, at their core, simply sauces, which are an enormous competent of cooking.

• SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

ketchup is a special case- ketchup is basically karo syrup with tomato flavoring- but "condiments" are, at their core, simply sauces, which are an enormous competent of cooking.

It's just like the way Liam hates spicy food because it takes away from the flavor which is a statement that just baffles me 
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

Bicky Burgers used to be quite popular in my southern (not Limburg) town of the Netherlands. They're freaking delicious. I've seen Lay's (walkers) potato chips with a Bicky Burger flavour in Luxembourg. Not entirely sure where that all comes form though.

Also. Waffles - unless blue - in any shape or form are delicious.

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

I find Belgian waffles to be too sweet and sugary. Never really liked them that much. In Sweden, waffles are usually round, however I personally use a Belgian waffle iron, a relic from the time I lived in Belgium. Never found it cooks the waffles unevenly. 

Fries & mayo is a great combination.

• Tolsimir%s's Photo

haha that escalated quickly here. I fear national pride when it comes to real things :p

• That Guy%s's Photo

Never realized other countries didn't have public water fountains like the US, or at least I haven't found any in the UK yet. 

Also, I thought paying to use the restroom only existed in RCT2, seems I am mistaken.

• Jappy%s's Photo

Welcome to Europe!

• Louis!%s's Photo

Never realized other countries didn't have public water fountains like the US, or at least I haven't found any in the UK yet. 

Also, I thought paying to use the restroom only existed in RCT2, seems I am mistaken.

Yeah we don't tend to have public water taps lol and paying for the toilet results in a better quality toilet (usually)

• RWE%s's Photo

Lol the first time i went outside german speaking countries and saw a free toilet, i felt enlightened. I've seen toilets in Switzerland where they even had different prices for what you'll do there...

• G Force%s's Photo

Never knew that, kind of shocking.

Some smaller stores in the US have like a "customers only" policy, but its more of just a suggestion than a policy they actually enforce.

98% of the time the quality of restroom is satisfactory though, its only when you go to a real rundown place that they might have poor facilities.  Its not like a dirty restroom is the end of the world, I honestly could care less.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

I've seen toilets in Switzerland where they even had different prizes for what you'll do there...

Fun

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

Lol the first time i went outside german speaking countries and saw a free toilet, i felt enlightened. I've seen toilets in Switzerland where they even had different prizes for what you'll do there...

Paying for a clean toilet is OK but different prices depending on your needs is pretty weird. And stingy. I mean, how would they check whether you actually do what you paid for and not the more expensive alternative? 

• Tolsimir%s's Photo

^I wanna see you shit into the urinal :p

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

Frankly I'm wondering what the prizes are.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Paying for a clean toilet is OK but different prices depending on your needs is pretty weird. And stingy. I mean, how would they check whether you actually do what you paid for and not the more expensive alternative? 

Well, I guess for men you can just make the urinals cheaper than the sit-downs. But yeah, that's odd.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading