RCT Discussion / NE Multiplayer Server II (Update: February 9th)

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

https://rcdb.com/2169.htm#p=6568

It doesn't go symmetrically over the station, but it is definitely over a portion of it, and if is completely conceivable that the roll could be above the transfer on the floorless in the park currently.

• G Force%s's Photo

So the park progress has really slowed down these last few days.  It doesn't seem like many people are interested outside of one or two members, and many others are unhappy with the direction (or lack of) that the park has taken.  I haven't really had the time or inspiration to build on it, and I believe that Matt, Louis and Liam are in the same boat as well.

So I just want to gauge some opinion on what we want to do here, the options are:

1. Keep the map up and keep building as is

2. Start the map over on a new bench, but keep the realism concept

3. Start a new map and just finish this map up privately, or release it as unfinished

4. Start a new map temporarily, and then re-implement this map after some time to refill people's interest, similar to one of Liam's earlier suggestions where we would swap between maps to keep the server fresh and people interested.

Just comment what you guys would prefer, either the number of the option or come up with your own suggestion perhaps.  Thanks all!

• Scoop%s's Photo

I think the problem with the current "realism" concept is that there are too many different outlooks on the term, but I think we should start the map over and then give it a clear direction before building. For instance Realism could mean Alton towers or it could mean six flags. I don't know about you but those are two TOTALLY different kinds of parks. lol. The park at the moment looks like it wants to be a mix between six flags and cedar fair but with too much themeing if that makes any sense.

• Mr.Brightside711%s's Photo

I'm not really a fan of this park. I vote option 2.

Earlier today we were talking about a realistic Chinese/Happy Valley park which has plenty of large modern coasters, some with extremely high levels of theme while others are way more Six Flags-ish. As long as the proper planning is done, I feel like a park that style would be way easier to build with so many different player styles. 

Also, the current park is in debt at the moment... lol

• trav%s's Photo

I think 3 would be the best option. We don't have enough people interested in realism to keep these parks going, and I think it's safe to say that now lol

• Louis!%s's Photo

I think it has been successful in certain ways, there's been a lot of decent work going in, just the activity has dropped off, I know for me my work has stepped up and so I just haven't had time to even be present in the server pushing things along, let alone building. 

I think the problem is that certain people had visions for the park, it hasn't gone that way for them and they've lost interest. And then over time, there is no more direction from key people because of this and thus others lose interest. Combine this with the fact people are scared to do any themeing whatsoever, which is silly, and that they don't want to build totally generic (which is understandable). 

I think the best option is to take it down, into single player, where some people can pass it around and get some direction on it, put another park up on the server, and then do a swap over every now and then. This keeps parks fresh. Because even Mirage Islands became stale after a bit, and lacked direction, things became all over the place and muddled. It could have done with being taken down, and put into single player and come back a few weeks later. There isn't a rush with these parks, and there isn't an aim to build gold and spotlight all the time. Bronze and Silver are still ok.

Tl;dr

Take the park off the server, hand it over to some people in single player for a little while. 

Put new park on server, swap it out after a while. 

Keeps parks fresh and exciting.

Mirage Islands could have benefited from this too.

No rush for these parks.

No need to be Gold/Spotlight quality all the time.

• Liampie%s's Photo

4 no doubt about it

I have an idea for the next map that we could try, will make a sketch today.

• nicman%s's Photo

I vote 4 aswell.

• SSSammy%s's Photo

• Bubbsy41%s's Photo
  • Scoop%s's Photo

let's make a smaller park

• G Force%s's Photo

The problem with a smaller map, is that all anyone wants to do is mark off a part of the park, plop down a huge coaster with no regard for the rest of the map and fill their area up.

I guess if the concept works with that then it will be fine, but I can totally see 4 or 5 builders marking off the whole map and leaving nothing else for the rest of the community.

If people are able to contain themselves and not just completely ignore everyone else and the rest of the map, and actually work to build a park together, rather than just items on a map, then I think that would be much better.  However, I have zero confidence in that happening based on the last two maps.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I still am keen to rebuilt an old LL park in rct2, don't have any problems with laying out the park and shit then :p

• Steve%s's Photo

I still am keen to rebuilt an old LL park in rct2, don't have any problems with laying out the park and shit then :p

This is a brilliant idea. Sea World Atlanta, please.
  • Coasterbill%s's Photo

For a realism park, this park makes absolutely no sense. I haven't built much even though I have permissions because I don't really understand the plan of this park / don't want to step on anyone's toes and don't really get the "Open RCT server etiquette" yet but if I could build I wouldn't because it's confusing.

If we want to talk realism, the park is bullshit. Let's be clear, this is a Cedar Fair park that used to be a Paramount park. The main entrance area is absolutely, 100% a Paramount entrance area, it has an invert that looks like Silver Bullet and a Windseeker so Cedar Fair clearly owns it now but then it has a mid 90's Cedar Fair Morgan hyper that makes no sense because it would have been a Paramount park in the 90's.

I know some people don't like looking that far into it and leaving it more open to interpretation is totally fine, but when you make the park this much of an obvious Cedar Fair park it's hard to do that. That's what makes it hard to add much theming or be to creative to me because it's such a cookie cutter Cedar Fair style park now (only with a Morgan that makes no sense with the most "Cedar Fair style" station ever). When so much of it hyper, chain specific realism then it feels like the park has no direction when you break from it.

Just my 2 cents I guess...

• Liampie%s's Photo

I don't think this was ever a Cedar Fair park.

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

MORE LIKE CEDAR FAIL AM I RIGHT 

I vote 4.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

I don't think this was ever a Cedar Fair park.

Maybe that wasn't the intention but it is now. It has a Paramount (now Cedar Fair) main midway, a Mid 90's Cedar Fair style Morgan with an out-of-the-box Cedar Fair generic station, an invert that's painted exactly like Silver Bullet and a Windseeker with Cedar Fair's exact color scheme that they always and a Cedar Fair patented name.

Also, while not exclusive to Cedar Fair, the Renegade style GCI and Dinn Woodie (a la Worlds of Fun) don't on their own scream "Cedar Fair" but they do when you combine them with the Windseeker / Silver Bullet / Cedar Fair Morgan and Paramount main midway.

It was never intended to be a Cedar Fair park but it became one.

• Mr.Brightside711%s's Photo

I saw this as a Cedar Fair park the whole time just off the line-up of coasters.

Coasterbill is right about the whole paramount-> Cedar Fair thing.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading