RCT Discussion / NE Multiplayer Server II (Update: February 9th)

• Mr.Brightside711%s's Photo

ignore this :p

• Cocoa%s's Photo

yeah I liked it before too. can't recall any problems with it

• G Force%s's Photo

No, it was awful placed there.  Maybe we could keep it if we got rid of another coaster, but definitely not there.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

I'm just snooping and playing around with Open so feel free to ignore any and all feedback from me but yeah that invert layout... I get the Great Bear inspiration but Great Bear is built like that for a reason. Without terrain or interaction making it necessary it's a bit strange as an RCT layout.

• trav%s's Photo

I think we've got a problem at the moment in that no one seemingly wants to build on the park, but everyone wants to have a say. On top of that, we've also got very little leadership at the moment. Not putting this all on you G Force, I know that sometimes life can get in the way of things, but at the moment the main builders on this park are neither American, nor realism builders.

Because of this, the park already looks a little janky and doesn't seem to flow at all. I think that this is actually putting people off building. They don't want to build on a park that has a confused identity. 

I can think of two ways to get over this. First of all, we need more input from you G Force, or other Americans. We Europeans only have pictures or other Rct parks to go off, and at the moment it's obviously not enough to get that American feeling down. If you guys can come into the park and not be afraid to delete stuff, it'll help us immensely. 

Secondly, take away the realism aspect of the park and go semi-realism. Instead of building a CF/SF park, build a Busch Gardens park or a Universal park. Not quite stepping out of realism, but moving away from hyper realism. I'm pretty certain that most of the main builders (Myself, Leon, GDB, Dr Dirt, RWE, Bubbsy) are more comfortable with a step away from hyper realism. Not in the sense that we don't want to build hyper realism, as I obviously cannot speak for them, but our previous work and styles fit much more neatly away from hyper realism.

Just my thoughts. Don't want it to seem like I'm being a killjoy, but I really enjoy being on the server when everyone is actually building and seeing how people progress.

• RWE%s's Photo

I kinda agree with trav here, at the moment people are building on this park, which not really are going into a hyper realism direction. So i think changing it to a american style themed semi realism park is a great idea.

I also agree about the point that we need some more leadership, because the park is getting really messy at the moment and i fear that it won't be really cohesive without some order and some style decisions which need to be made.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I think you can work in more themeing and not compromise it so much. like dollywood/sdc, or some of the built-from-scratch six flags park, like six flags st louis. they actually have an amount of themeing which makes it more fun

• G Force%s's Photo

I agree, part of the problem is that there's what, two active builders on the site who have releases that fit the "hyperrealism" style.  Everyone else either hasn't built this style before or at least hasn't attempted this type of park.  Heck, in general we have like what, 7 or 8 active American builders on the site who have won accolades?  But anyways...

My approach from the beginning was to give a basic outline and kind of take a step back, as I didn't want to just sit in the server and tell people what and where to build, as it kind of felt that way for the first day or so.  But to me the major problem is that people are more interested in building their own area, than building something that improves the park as a whole and fits the map.  Not to mention everyone seems to have a different idea of what this park should be, despite me supplying plenty of materials for reference. 

I definitely think its possible to micromanage the planning of the park, but that kind of kills anyone's interest from a creative side.

To be honest, I could care less what we build, it was just our though that trying a different style would give the most people a chance to participate who didn't on the first map.  It seems we have enough builder interest, just that everyone has a different idea on they want to build and what the park should be, which for this kind of map doesn't really work, unless you just divide the park up into sectors and give players 100% control.

Kind of like Cocoa said, I think embracing a slightly more themed style, like Dollywood/SDC and some six flags parks would be the best option, which is kind of what I wanted to go for at the start.

Approach it like a Park that is themed, rather than the themes transferred into a park, if that makes sense.  Basically, it still should be recognizable as a park, but just have some subtle touches and trends that represent the desired theming.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

If I didn't have my hands full with this never ending solo I'd love to jump in one of of these parks. I prefer building in Vanilla but the multiplayer / community aspect seems pretty awesome.

• dr dirt%s's Photo
    Naturally, the parks style isn't going to be super-focused just due to the fact that it's multiplayer. I haven't been able to log on due to the Mac issue days ago, but I thought it was going fine consistency-wise. It's at about a mix of Kings Island and a random theme Busch Gardens, which is fine, as little long as all the little backstage/ride tech/infrastructure is spot on, which should be a major focus. Somebody lay out the loose themes for each area and we should be able to handle it with a few there to overwatch/revise.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

I loved the Schwarzkopf looper that was there for a while today. Thought it filled all the gaps nicely. But it also makes sense to redo that corner because the invert was dreadful before.

• Louis!%s's Photo
    I removed it because it was fitting in with the invert which was obviously being removed, the looper looked odd and cramped without it. It can be done much better ☺
  • trav%s's Photo

Pls come build people

• Louis!%s's Photo

My internet is very poor tonight, I'll try and be around tomorrow.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

the park is definitely coming along but I think its having some layout issues thats holding it back. especially in the mexican area, things don't make sense from a peeps perspective- they wouldn't be able to see the log flume, or the kiddie coaster, and the entrance for the zamberla would be confusing. I think its a problem throughout the park but definitely the worst there. otherwise there's some good work here, I especially like the whole area around the GCI. its framed really nicely from a peeps perspective there too

Alright so I came up with a rough layout for the river rapids in the bayou. Starts with a drop into a tunnel, since I picture this area to be kinda creepy and dark. The floorless coaster colors dont really seem to fit the theme in this area but maybe that is just me. I think the layout for the floorless is good, but I don't see how you can realistically put a transfer track in there because there is a zero-g-roll right above it. Also, if a wild mouse gets put in this area, Voodoo would be a better name for that IMO.

An area I'm confused about is the area the hyper is in. It is totally Cedar Fair but how could you put a theme to that area? The only thing I could think of is make that like a retro futuristic area. A theater ride like Mass Effect could be put there but I'm just spit balling ideas. Maybe a trio-tech dark ride?

I like the idea of the action park but I don't really think any of it should be outside the railroad. Looks really out of the way... but maybe the railroad could be stretched a bit to give the action area more room to breath. It is cramped right now. 

For the area to the right of the entrance, I vote waterpark. It could have a normal entrance right there and also a park-to-park entrance to Mexico. 

Lastly, there is too much tarmac in the western area. Just looks so plain most of the western area doesn't even feel western, and it is rather big. 

• Cocoa%s's Photo

^its definitely based on mamba at worlds of fun, which is a fully generic, plain area stuck right next to a themed area. so the in-game version sort of makes sense in context

• Version1%s's Photo

they wouldn't be able to see the log flume, 

Still shocked how often the #1 rule for building good log flumes gets ignored.

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

I think the layout for the floorless is good, but I don't see how you can realistically put a transfer track in there because there is a zero-g-roll right above it.

Scream's roll goes over the station, so it's conceivable that the transfer track building can be beneath the roll.

Scream's roll goes over the station, so it's conceivable that the transfer track building can be beneath the roll.

It actually doesn't :p lol

^its definitely based on mamba at worlds of fun, which is a fully generic, plain area stuck right next to a themed area. so the in-game version sort of makes sense in context

I've never been to WOF so I'm not sure how much themeing is actually near it. Having been to other CF parks, I'm pretty sure most Cedar Fair hypers do have extremely generic stations. I just didn't think we were doing any generic areas, besides the entrance to the park.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading