RCT Discussion / Multiplayer VI

• FredD%s's Photo

Russia is interesting.

• Recurious%s's Photo

I kinda liked Atlantis, it was IMO the best area of the park together with Morocco. I would not remove it/revamp it to Greece.

• Liampie%s's Photo

I kinda liked Atlantis, it was IMO the best area of the park together with Morocco. I would not remove it/revamp it to Greece.

According to Shotguns it was Greece all along, even though Yolo who started it said it was Atlantis which was written in land tiles across the area too. I think Atlantis would be an awful choice for this park, because it's a cliche and it would be the only non-country theme on the map. A proper Greek area would be a great addition and Shogo's theming is going in that direction.

• Recurious%s's Photo

I don't really mind what you call it, I just meant that I wouldn't scrap the stuff that is already there, because I think it looks great.

• BelgianGuy%s's Photo

finally got around to doing a layout for the alaska coaster. would like to know if it's ok or if needs to be changed before I go into it further as they are quite annoying to get the real track look I want from it

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

I think Atlantis would be an awful choice for this park, because it's a cliche and it would be the only non-country theme on the map. A proper Greek area would be a great addition and Shogo's theming is going in that direction.

That;s funny because it was originally going to be Greece until everyone else said that was too cliche.

• GammaZero%s's Photo
    Both (ancient) Greece and Atlantis are cliché themes, but Shogo managed to pull a Greek theme off nicely without going the generic white/blue path.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Romania inspiration:

http://sighisoara.or...acula-House.jpg

https://romaniatours...oara-square.jpg

http://minoritynomad...ara-Romania.jpg

http://www.hotelconc...ighisoara-2.jpg
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Objects to import:

- Monorails

- Suspended coaster airplanes

- Corrugated rooves

- Rusty roof

- Spanish roof tiles with off-colour tiles

- cena path tiles

- Colourable brick tiles?

- Safety nets

- Pink trees

- Path props?

On the next workbench update, could we get flat quarter tile catwalks to match the angled ones we already have?
  • WhosLeon%s's Photo

side friction track too

Side friction track can be achieved using arbitrary ride type changes. Technically every track type is available in a save because the track sprites are saved in g1.dat.
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo

is there a chance to get the LOTR rocks into this bench? kinda wanted to use those for alaska...

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

CURRENT MP SITUATION

There has been some buildup of tensions related to recent work on the Multiplayer VI map. Due to an absence of "lead" builders, a lot of work on the map has been done by "junior" players. This has made some people unhappy with the quality/direction of work and others unhappy with the lack of feedback.

We're proposing two things to change this.

CHANGES

1: Temporary switch to the realism map (Multiplayer II)

While we collect feedback on the direction of Multiplayer VI, the realism map is a great place for people to stretch their legs and do some gap fill. Liam's poll suggests people want it finished!
    The realism map will be up for one week.

2: Weekly Reviews

The idea of "Mirage Islands 2" - taken directly from the community poll about what the VI map should be - was to produce a curated, high-quality map with "lead" builders supervising progress. In order to keep that spirit we'd like to suggest a Weekly Review. Here's how that would work:

- at the end of the week, an overview/save and screens of new work are posted in the MP thread on-site. "Lead" builders and the wider community will be expected to give their feedback and direction on work that has happened in the areas they are leading. We're not saying no feedback is given during the week, but fri/sat/sun everyone should expect to check the thread and review the latest work.

- during the week, not everyone can be online to give feedback, but the area can progress using the guidance the "lead builder" gave at the last Review.

- if an area lead doesn't give feedback during the weekly review, the area continues without them for the next week. General feedback given by the community or other leads will be used instead. If there's a clear plan set out by the lead builder for an area, we'll try to stick to it as best we can until they return to deliver feedback.

GOALS

We don't want the park to wait forever on specific people being available and motivated, but we do want to hold the work to a high standard. Our goals are to keep "lead" builders in control of their areas while giving "junior" builders both the opportunity to build and the expectation of clear, regular feedback on their work.

• saxman1089%s's Photo

After the craziness of the discord chat this afternoon, where we had a lengthy debate on quality of this park and activeness of lead builders vs. supporting builders, I've decided to try to revive this thread a bit, maybe to help get the park back on track.

I'm going to discuss Alaska a bit, because I was building on it today and yesterday and had some comments.

- First, I should say that I should have coordinated with BelgianGuy before building. I went gung-ho into it, and should have checked in with BG before starting. For that, I apologize. I am fully aware of, and okay with, any of my stuff being bulldozed.

- Now, for some observations/critiques/ideas for the area:

- The RMC layout is nice, but it made planning the rest of the area difficult imo. Alaska should be big, wide open, and feel endless, and the layout makes it feel a bit cramped. Not sure if this could be fixed somehow. If the layout was shifted towards Greece and not be L-shaped, it might open up the area a bit more, and have room for some mountains on the side near Japan.

- The boundary between Greece and Alaska is a little difficult to define atm. Is the stone bridge part of alaska or part of greece? It seems like on that side, the areas are so close together that its going to be really difficult to make them differentiated. The bridge is also making Alaska feel cramped.
    - I like the rapids idea (idk who planned that out, it wasnt me), but might make things feel even more cramped. Maybe its okay if other things are fixed. I thought of maybe a mountain-lodge type feel for a rapids station, but its current location in the middle of alaska would be problematic. IF the layout is opened up and the station is put in the mountains near japan, it would make a heck of a lot more sense.

- As far as ideas go: I added a village themed to Skagway, a little tourist type town that I feel is perfect for a theme park. Its got a frontier-type feel, but the colors make it more fun. Look it up on google and let me know what you all think. I would love to have a little more waterfront to add a fishing boat or two.

- I think the coaster/station should be mine themed, since mining is a big part of alaska. I thought the abandoned Kennecot mine building would be a nice theme, with the lift acting as a mine shaft hoist tower. 

Let me know what you think! Looking forward to helping out with this area!

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I think alaska could be really cool with a more terrain, heavy feel. almost like disney's alpine waterpark in vibe, with a well-terrained rapids ride and woodie being the main focus compositionally of the area. it could potentially nestle in the middle a smaller village, but this area would not be the "point" of the area, rather just a pavillion within it in a sense.

• BelgianGuy%s's Photo

I agree with cocoa, I really wanted alaska to be quite heavy on the landscaping, but I feel like I don't have th right objects to do so wich is why I haven't started building the station yet and reserved to not touch it till I feel I can do it.

• saxman1089%s's Photo
    By all means, when the park comes back up in a week, feel free to knock down my stuff, no worries. :)
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

Belgian: what objects do you need?  Any timeline on when you think you can start working?  What can be done in the meantime?  

Would you like the layout to stay as is, or can it be moved/modified? 

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

https://imgur.com/a/knM8t

Here's the latest overview and save.

Attached File  NE-Mirage_Lakes-142.sv6 (6.86MB)
    downloads: 152

Everybody - what do you like?  What do you think needs improved? 

What areas are you working?  What did you personally build there, and what are your plans?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading