RCT Discussion / RCT Hot Takes

• Scoop%s's Photo

I'd also like to see any data that backs up this claim that Europeans vote lower on american realism. I just skimmed some of the more recent high profile releases that could be classed as such (Amusement Park, Ohio Stadium, Cook County Fair, Scream) and all seemed to have a pretty even split between Europeans and Americans at both ends of the panel spectrum.

Maybe this is me making excuses for specific cases, but Ohio Stadium isn't a park, Cook County Fair is a type of park we don't see often, and Amusement Park was kind of a spoof if you look into the naming schemes. (last one is a bit of stretch though)

• G Force%s's Photo

name them

Some guy named walto
  • Sephiroth%s's Photo

I'd like to see the Europe/US difference being supported by numbers.

I don't have charts and tables, just a few parks where the trend is noticeable:

New Element - Park - Six Flags Worlds of Discovery (nedesigns.com)

New Element - Park - Timber Valley Theme park (nedesigns.com)

New Element - Park - Wings n Things Fun Fair (nedesigns.com)

New Element - Park - Li'l Sluggers (nedesigns.com)

New Element - Park - Six Flags over Texas by Mek & Swag (nedesigns.com)

New Element - Park - Euclid Beach Park (nedesigns.com)

New Element - Park - Knoebels Amusement Resort (nedesigns.com)

New Element - Park - Westwinds (nedesigns.com)

However, I do concede that my hot take could possibly be proven statistically insignificant if a larger study were to be conducted, rather than just me pulling a few releases in a vacuum. At the time of this writing though, I do believe that there is a non-zero, even if small, chance that someone's American realism/recreationalist park will score higher or lower depending on which continent the panelists that casts votes reside on. Is this outlier data? Maybe, but there is some there.

• FredD%s's Photo

There are a handful parkmakers who are not deserving of their status.

Hello.

Alright let's get some real hot takes in here.

A large percentage (but not all) of the European panel members vote lower on American realism/recreationalism simply because it's not their preferred genre or has been "done before," while American panel members tend to vote high on both quality American and European realism.

Let the games begin....... Round 1, Fight!

Interesting because I feel the other way round. Americans don't understanding European realism and thus voting lower or just giving remarks that don't go up for European parks. Like the remark that the entrance of Ochsenbach was too small while the real entrance of the real theme park Tripsdrill it was based on, also is that small. Or the lack of safety nets, also a thing you don't really see in European parks. 

• In:Cities%s's Photo

There are a handful parkmakers who are not deserving of their status.

Attached Image: Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 10.44.14 AM.png

• SSSammy%s's Photo

parkmaker means they fulfilled the criteria to become a parkmaker. they achieved the criteria because the panel voted and their scores averaged out to a parkmaker-level conclusion. i think that's a pretty good method.

is it just that the panel needs to be purified, or that parkmaker has a different meaning to you than the one described by its criteria?

• Ge-Ride%s's Photo

Well for that matter, you can ask "Who deserves to be a parkmaker but isn't?" Like somebody who didn't quite make it with a park or design submission.

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Well for that matter, you can ask "Who deserves to be a parkmaker but isn't?" Like somebody who didn't quite make it with a park or design submission.

To add... some of the best current builders on the site just haven't built a big enough full scale park/design, or enough shares of a park, to earn the status. I'd say there are even some Legendary Parkmakers on NE right now that will never actually earn that status due to lack of time to build such a park.

• G Force%s's Photo

To add... some of the best current builders on the site just haven't built a big enough full scale park/design, or enough shares of a park, to earn the status. I'd say there are even some Legendary Parkmakers on NE right now that will never actually earn that status due to lack of time build such a park.

Well half of parkmaker is "maker" so I think that aspect is very fair.
  • RWE%s's Photo

Parkmaker is not only about quality, its about dedication too.

• Scoop%s's Photo

Parkmaker is not only about quality, its about dedication too.

Sure. Dedication to making quality parks.
  • FredD%s's Photo

Kinda weak to say some parkmakers don't deserve their status but not saying any names and why...

• Scoop%s's Photo

Kinda weak to say some parkmakers don't deserve their status but not saying any names and why...

Why is that? I don't think it's weak.  
  • Liampie%s's Photo

I think the sentiment is understandable. The definition of a parkmaker has shifted over time, and then everyone has their own idea of what makes you a hall of fame worthy. It makes some old names feel out of place, and it makes some new names feel out of place among the old ones. On the other hand it's nothing new that some parkmakers have a more convinving record than others.

Leon is obviously a top tier player, BUT, has he ever released a parkmaker worthy solo park? Back in the day this also happened with people like Kevin. I can imagine that perhaps someone like Maverix could've gotten a parkmaker spot more easily before the panel. Consistent production of high quality solo parks. Not 80% quality according to the panel, but it's rather close. If I could redesign NE from the ground up by my personal preferences, a high quality full scale solo park would be a hard prerequisite.

It boils down to the typical quality vs quantity debate again. A classic debate on par with LL vs RCT2 or realism vs fantasy at this point!

• Luketh%s's Photo

MCBRs are for cowards.

EDIT: and trim brakes

• SSSammy%s's Photo

they're responsible and safe so of course they're for cowards

• G Force%s's Photo

I think the sentiment is understandable. The definition of a parkmaker has shifted over time, and then everyone has their own idea of what makes you a hall of fame worthy. It makes some old names feel out of place, and it makes some new names feel out of place among the old ones. On the other hand it's nothing new that some parkmakers have a more convinving record than others.

Leon is obviously a top tier player, BUT, has he ever released a parkmaker worthy solo park? Back in the day this also happened with people like Kevin. I can imagine that perhaps someone like Maverix could've gotten a parkmaker spot more easily before the panel. Consistent production of high quality solo parks. Not 80% quality according to the panel, but it's rather close. If I could redesign NE from the ground up by my personal preferences, a high quality full scale solo park would be a hard prerequisite.

It boils down to the typical quality vs quantity debate again. A classic debate on par with LL vs RCT2 or realism vs fantasy at this point!

Aka a spotlight
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Kind of. The size aspect of spotlights is not undisputed. Can also live with a strong of golds being a qualification, though.

• G Force%s's Photo

Kind of. The size aspect of spotlights is not undisputed. Can also live with a strong of golds being a qualification, though.

It would be interesting if the % score qualifications was different for a gold vs. spotlight actually. Sort of the same way a 90% design doesn't yield Legendary status.
  • Scoop%s's Photo

OOOh just thought of one. The Term Megapark makes no sense because it's just a full scale park.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading