Pro Tour 2 / The Pro Tour 2

• Ride6%s's Photo

what happens if you get into the final round and don't submit a park for it?

Then you suck and you wasted major energy to get in to begin with.

ride6
  • Junya Boy%s's Photo

Let's say you would be able to tell when I started. ;)

For example: A deathmatch bench?

like that means anything, i use the deathmatch bench i created to do all my mini-parks. its the best workbench i've seen to fit my needs. plus its a small file exported.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    thx Junya :)
  • cg?%s's Photo

actually, it's more like 5 g's through a loop, but it's fixed now.

That's all? Please. I don't know what kind of coaster your building, but most of the rollercoasters people actually use can handle 5 gs easily. I built a rollercoaster that went 42mph through a loop, then slowed it down to 22mph, and the ratings where better when it went 42mph! You just have a crappy design... START OVER!
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    umm. nah. I'll keep what I have. But I think it's the hacking that fucked it all up. Because it's still got really shitty ratings.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    LOL... Iris and I were talking about it not being the same if Mala didn't enter... unless someone else major entered... like SA.

You're going down Chris!!!! :w00t:
  • iris%s's Photo

subliminal?

:lol: :lol:
  • gir%s's Photo

Yeah, but if your pulling 9 g's in a turn, we surely wouldn't ride that, now would we?

You clearly missed the point--you don't have to be pulling 9 gs to get bad ratings, thus the system is flawed. I made an okay inverted roller coaster for my PT entry last year, but the ratins were horrible. If you actually cared to look at the ride, you would see they are misleading.
  • Silenced%s's Photo
    Gir, I really did get the point. I understand that the ratings system sucks on RCT.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    What?Have you ridden your rides? No, of course not, so, the ratings are the best way to know how exciting, intense, and nauseating they are, even if it isn't perfect. Besides, I usually agree with them.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    As usual, cg? disagrees with the crowd. :D
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo
    ^^ Sure, none of us have ridden our rides. Nor will we ever.
    Even further reason to disregard them. The peeps are pulling the G's, not us.

I say make your ratings even more intense, Tracid. I like to see a nice edgy coaster.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    nah I'm with Gardner. I remember a time, when, if you could make a coaster with >10 excitement, and <8or9 intensity and nausea, you were like fucking God among RCT players. I'm with that school of thought. I also think focusing on building hotels and bridges is stupid but I've made that known before.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    I think it's stupid too. I'm trying to build a hotel, but I hate it. I might not enter this round. Apparently, not only do I hate people who ignore excitement ratings, use custom scenery, and build things which don't "work" in the game, but I hate doing all of those things myself. Still, I might try and get something done, just to finish what I've started (and what a wonderfully new experience that would be!)
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

I think it's stupid too. I'm trying to build a hotel, but I hate it. I might not enter this round. Apparently, not only do I hate people who ignore excitement ratings, use custom scenery, and build things which don't "work" in the game, but I hate doing all of those things myself. Still, I might try and get something done, just to finish what I've started (and what a wonderfully new experience that would be!)

AHA!
    you and I, we've got things in common.

pee ess I reinstalled RCT2. how about that.
  • gir%s's Photo

What?Have you ridden your rides? No, of course not, so, the ratings are the best way to know how exciting, intense, and nauseating they are, even if it isn't perfect. Besides, I usually agree with them.

Well, no, obviously I haven't been on my rides, but that doesn't mean a computer knows what is fun and what's not.
  • yeshli2nuts%s's Photo

not necessarily. if you recreate real life coasters perfectly, many times the intensity ratings will be way too high for rct peeps to ride while in real life, a coaster with the same stats is ridden by millions of people a year.
  • John%s's Photo
    But you can't recreate anything perfectly in RCT, anyway.
  • Jo24%s's Photo
    I can't wait to see some winning designs
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    This is very true, john.

To recreate coaster from RL in RCT, you have fudge in terms of design. Always. RCT coasters are NOT realistic or capable of BEING realistic in terms of coasters that already exist... they can only mimic, like how the drink-making thing arthur used on zaphod's ship to get his tea was not TOTALLY unlike tea, but to be honest was pretty far from being tea.

The point is... these fudges, if translated directly into real-life, would be hideously unride-abe. So, if you really want to make something that would work in real-life, EXACTLY as you have built it, you have to somewhat listen to the stats. RCT does have some discrepancies with how it deals with speed. You can get away with a lot on the speed front, I would probably have the engine tweaked to be a bit more harsh on speed if I could, but I feel it's a good trade off for how limited the design palette has to be (8 directional, and most features can only be built on 4 of those directions, as well as all the set heights on those elements and the lack of customization for direction and height transitions and angle segues).

And on that note, it's not like one can see into your MIND what fantasy "realistic" coaster you were "working" from to make your "realistic" coaster. Those fudges are game fudges to the viewer, not realism fudges. They are fudges based on how other people have TYPICALLY fudged RL coasters to fit RCT. It's a stylization, not a realization. But people either don't realize that or don't care, and thus don't realize they aren't making something realistic, they are just ripping on a style that claims to be.

And I'm tired of these greens going around talking about how stats are useless and bogus simply because they never spent the time getting acquainted with what exactly affects them. There are a lot of factors that work towards creating the intensity, naseau, and excitement ratings, most of which are simply dismissed cuz "i changed it to make it better and it got worse instead". Wrong, you simply aren't taking all the factors into account. It's a question of skills and knowledge, it's NOT random, people! Seriously.

On the other hand, I am glad that ratings don't make people gods anymore. The idea is that people tend to focalize on one or two things, and simply ignore everything else, and then make up a reason for why (usually bullshit). When ratings were the "thing", people ignored aesthetics. "LOOK MA! I GOT 13.7!! LORDY!" good for you, but it looks like a box of rotten spaghetti. It works in reverse too: "OMGZ! I BUILTZ COOL LOOKING THING!" good for you, but it's a death trap, not a coaster. Hardly realistic. See what I'm getting at? This focalization on ONE thing needs to end. There is more to coaster designing than this community gives credit.

...either that, or I've gone bat-shit loco...

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading