Music Forum / Rock Or Rap?

Rock Or Rap?

• Rhynos%s's Photo
    95% of the time, it'll be metal or anything more hardcore (i.e. - death, grind, black, progressive, etc). This is not saying I don't listen to anything else, but I personally choose metal because it lets me let go of the ngative thoughts I have currently, not that I'm saying I'm always mad or anything. I do like a fair amount of rap/r&b, but most of it can sound like The Roots, which I find to be fairly inspirational. I'll also listen to artists/songs that have a deeper meaning behind that isn't about pimpin and makin the g's. Honestly, it kinda offends me when people sing about that. It's too simple for someone to come up with a song about how they slapped their hoe or whatever; that's not music, that's lack of inspiration. The only music that I can't really enjoy 99% of the time is country. Well, modern country. Most of the country I'll listen to, if any, will be back before '93 or so. Like Achey Breaky Heart (sp?). I like that song. I think if you can define yourself by a common genre of music, you have not discovered yourself and the other music that encompasses the world around you today. Basically, I ca go from The Roots to Johnny Cash to The Rolling Stones to As I Lay Dying to System of a Down (if ya can't tell by the avatar and title).
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    I like System of a Down. It's not always easy to listen to, but the way they change styles and tempos often within the same song is refreshing to me. Because all is music. Forget cliches. Forget "the way it is". Just mix it all up together and let it be it's own thing. That's what it means to look forward instead of backward. Which is not to say that they're better than ayone else, just that I respect what they do because it fits with the way I think about music.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo

It's not always easy to listen to, but the way they change styles and tempos often within the same song is refreshing to me. Because all is music. Forget cliches. Forget "the way it is". Just mix it all up together and let it be it's own thing. That's what it means to look forward instead of backward.

Sounds like Architecture in Helsinki.

Anyways... Let music be music. Try to take it for what it is, and if you can't take it seriously, don't bother with that particular artist or genre (though the latter's jumping to conclusions).
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    System of a Down is hilarious.
    Unintentionally hilarious, but still.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    i give nate, i was being unfair.

what i don't like is how MUCH attention MC's get, and how LITTLE attention DJ's get.

I think THAT is unfair. I think MOST of the talent lies in the guy making the beats, not the guy droning to them. The image and focus is completely lopsided.

That's why I love all those abstract tracks that dj food does, it's rap without the annoying egoist on center stage(think "turtle soup").

I think of what the MC does as sort of a guitar solo of sorts... because in small doses, it works, but when it takes over a song, it's just annoying.

I know ed says this stuff is not supposed to have any tonal qualities, as that is part of how it started as a counter-culture, but it's no longer a counter-culture, and has just become way too bloated.

So more props for the DJ's please.
  • Aeroglobe%s's Photo

what i don't like is how MUCH attention MC's get, and how LITTLE attention DJ's get.

I think THAT is unfair.  I think MOST of the talent lies in the guy making the beats, not the guy droning to them.  The image and focus is completely lopsided.

What you would be surprised in is how much MONEY the producer will end up getting, as opposed to the MC. There was recently a bidding war for $2.2 mil. over a Neptunes beat.

So I really don't think they mind too much. :D
  • Atlus%s's Photo
    As many have mentioned...any topic like this is going to end up in a heated debate on opinions, since music is totally opinionanted anyway...
  • Blitz%s's Photo

I think THAT is unfair.  I think MOST of the talent lies in the guy making the beats, not the guy droning to them.  The image and focus is completely lopsided.

What you would be surprised in is how much MONEY the producer will end up getting, as opposed to the MC. There was recently a bidding war for $2.2 mil. over a Neptunes beat.

So I really don't think they mind too much. :D

scurrying about to desperately get their hands on a beat that will make the MC's sound good is not exactly all that great an image either :lol:
  • trav%s's Photo
    ^^And?

This is the most replies I've ever got in a topic I've started!!
  • PBJ%s's Photo
    rock for sure...

rap music is not my personal taste...

bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Billy Idol, Pearl Jam, Pink FLoyd... ect....

i can express myself better with rock than with rap...
  • Aeroglobe%s's Photo

scurrying about to desperately get their hands on a beat that will make the MC's sound good is not exactly all that great an image either  :lol:

I don't think they're too concerned with the image when they're so behind the scenes, as you point out.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    Nulled. If it sounds good to me, I like it. Simple as that. Whether it be rap or rock or whatever.
  • shameless%s's Photo
    tough call, cuz i love lots of rock, i have tons of it. every cd i own is rock, but when i drive i love to listen to rap and such. i cant stay away from dr dre and snoop
  • Dixon Steele%s's Photo
    I listen to both.

Meh.
  • Scorchio%s's Photo
    Gimme a live band any day - rap is for people who can't hold a musical note... which kinda defeats the purpose of music really..
  • Stargazer%s's Photo

Gimme a live band any day - rap is for people who can't hold a musical note... which kinda defeats the purpose of music really..

I hope that comments sarcastic or just a really poor joke.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    But you can tell the good rappers. That take time in their writings. And have a good melody and flow.

Uhh....

Jadakiss
    Nas
    Lloyd Banks
    Fabolous
    Tupac
    Nelly
    T.I.
    Game
    Twista
    Bun B
    Ludacris
    Kanye West

Thats some of the ones. Im not gonna download no rock but I can stand some of it til the point it just gets to screaming and yelling. They sound like they dieing. So I aint listen to most of it.
  • SenZ%s's Photo
    I null voted. Don't like them both. I prefer Dutch Hardcore, Darkcore, Terror and Hardstyle.
  • egg_head%s's Photo
    Rock.
    die Ärzte for PrÄsident! :yup:
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Oh dear Twista FUCKING SUCKS.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading