Music Forum / Rock Or Rap?

Rock Or Rap?

• Jellybones%s's Photo

But I like Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Radiohead AND Coldplay.  hahahaha!

I love it when people ask what my favorite bands are and I go off about Metallica or Sabbath or something (which I like, but not as much as some others) then I'll switch to Coldplay, REM or U2.  Man does that throw them off.

ride6

Wow cool all classic rock radio bands.
    You have SUCH a diverse taste in music.
  • Scorchio%s's Photo
    :lol:
  • Dixon Steele%s's Photo

But I like Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Radiohead AND Coldplay.  hahahaha!

I love it when people ask what my favorite bands are and I go off about Metallica or Sabbath or something (which I like, but not as much as some others) then I'll switch to Coldplay, REM or U2.  Man does that throw them off.

ride6

Wow cool all classic rock radio bands.
    You have SUCH a diverse taste in music.

Just because something is old doesn't mean it's bad, though. Classic can mean good. Except U2. U2 fucking suck.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    I didn't say it was bad, I just said it wasn't anywhere near diverse.
    And U2's early stuff was good, mostly. Or some of it.

Metallica are terrible, were terrible, and always will be terrible, though.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo

Metallica are terrible, were terrible, and always will be terrible, though.

Agreed.

Also the coolest MC out there has got to be Saul Williams. He's the first black man I've seen in tight pants, and when someone openly admits they hug thier pillow at night straight up in the first line (black stacy), you know they've got a grip on life and are worth listening into.
  • spiderman%s's Photo

But you know Spiderman, it's not like just listening to some songs by one artist qualifies you to say you don't like any rap. Someone could say "If you've never heard rock before, go download these three songs by Led Zeppelin". A lot of people don't like Led Zeppelin even if other people hold it up as the best of the best. Obviously there's a whole range of styles within any genre. Especially broad categories like "rock" and "rap" which aren't really genres anyway. And maybe you like parts of songs. There's a good chance someone else out there likes the same parts too and does something that emphasizes that style more. Not everyone likes Radiohead or Coldplay or Pink Floyd, etc. So maybe Kanye West doesn't do it for you. There's rap music out there that you probably would like. I don't know what it is, but if you keep listening to new things eventually you'll find it. I would just rather people say for example "I don't listen to much rap music, so I don't know if I would like it or not" instead of saying they hate all rap music. Because the more likely reason is that they just haven't bothered to look for rap music outside of what they would hear in TV commercials or on movie soundtracks or playing on the radio as someone drives by. And that really isn't any basis for determining whether or not you like a type of music. If you choose not to listen to rap music, that's fine. You probably can still die a happy man without ever listening to most of the good music in the world. It's not like essential or anything. But don't make yourself willfully ignorant. At least acknowledge that if you don't know much about something, you are the only person who can change that. And "rap" (or rock) is a broad enough category that practically everyone could find something they like if they actually made an effort to look for it. And that goes for everybody, I'm just using you as an example.

Good point.

Well then I should say I dislike the commercially overplayed rap :p
  • Dixon Steele%s's Photo
    M.I.A.'s got the bombs to make you blow
    She's got the beats to make you bang
  • Scorchio%s's Photo
    :rolleyes:
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    i like all music, sans death metal, i fucking hate death metal!
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Pussy.
  • Dixon Steele%s's Photo

Pussy.

GROWL I'M ANGRY LOOK HOW LOUD I CAN PLAY MY INSTRUMENT GROWL
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo

Pussy.

lol, just shut up. you don't seem 'tough' by repeatedly saying how you listen to all this awesome death metal music. just kind of stupid.

ps metallica used to be the shit. k.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    please. death metal is not music, i am sorry. most of that shit starts out good, say, the first five seconds, and then progresses into something that sounds like a cat fight.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo

M.I.A.'s got the bombs to make you blow
    She's got the beats to make you bang

Do you know what is on? Do you know what is on?
    Do you know how [her] beat is made in fucking Lon-d-d-don?
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo

No.

I'm more relating that comment to all the bullshit that I hear on the radio. I'm sure there's great rap music out there, I just haven't heard it, yet I'm not looking for it either. Rap is just boring to me.

And that's a lot different than saying "rap sucks". At least you can admit that it's your own closemindedness that keeps you from finding rap music you like. And anyway, I'm hardly a fan of rap music. But I used to "hate" it too, until I realized how stupid and hypocritical I was being and now I've got a couple rap albums that are some of my favorite albums right now. It took me awhile from the time I decided to give rap music a try and where I am now where I can say I like it just as much. My suggestion, don't label anything. It's all music. There should only be two categories: music you like, and music you don't like. I just don't like seeing people who buy into stupid social prejudices.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Sorry, guys, i forgot to put the sarcasm tags on it. My bad. :rolleyes:

And please, are you telling me that all deathmetal sounds the same? Tell me that Morbid Angel and Arch Enemy are the same.

Oh, and tE, I'm not trying to put out myself as some tough badass. If you havent realised, most of what I say is fairly sarcastic and playful. In fact, the only things that I wear that are black are some school shirts and a Hardrock Cafe shirt. None of this 'i want to kill myself shit'. I walk around like a normal person and on a couple of occasions, im mistaken as a prep (the collars). Dont try and judge me over the internet you overimpulsive prick (or thats what i get from this convo so far...). As i said before, I listen to anything with flow and soul, but i dabble more in metal than anything.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    um. yeah, where did i say any of that. to me, at least, you were trying to seem 'tough' by listening to metal. and shoving that fact in everyone's face whenver possible. If not then cool. whatever.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Handshake and forget this?
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    k.
  • iGNiTED%s's Photo

please.  death metal is not music, i am sorry.  most of that shit starts out good, say, the first five seconds, and then progresses into something that sounds like a cat fight.

well yeah...that is sort of true...but some pretty heavy bands that i like are Dead Poetic, and Underoath, although they sound a little bit different, their lead singers both sound really good. when they do add screaming, (which is quite a bit)...it not only sounds good, but it is on key and makes the song better. while they arent really death metal, they are some pretty awesome bands that i listen to...

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading