Music Forum / Rock Or Rap?

Rock Or Rap?

• Rhynos%s's Photo
    I was just kinda wondering, but, is anyone not a fan of SoaD? I'm sure there has to be some.
  • spiderman%s's Photo

well yeah...that is sort of true...but some pretty heavy bands that i like are Dead Poetic, and Underoath, although they sound a little bit different, their lead singers both sound really good. when they do add screaming, (which is  quite a bit)...it not only sounds good, but it is on key and makes the song better. while they arent really death metal, they are some pretty awesome bands that i listen to...

Underoath is not a death metal band.

They still suck though in my opinion. Just stereotypical music.
  • Aeroglobe%s's Photo

I was just kinda wondering, but, is anyone not a fan of SoaD?  I'm sure there has to be some.

It's hard to not like them, really. They're kind of refreshing.
  • mantis%s's Photo

No.

I'm more relating that comment to all the bullshit that I hear on the radio. I'm sure there's great rap music out there, I just haven't heard it, yet I'm not looking for it either. Rap is just boring to me.

And that's a lot different than saying "rap sucks". At least you can admit that it's your own closemindedness that keeps you from finding rap music you like. And anyway, I'm hardly a fan of rap music. But I used to "hate" it too, until I realized how stupid and hypocritical I was being and now I've got a couple rap albums that are some of my favorite albums right now. It took me awhile from the time I decided to give rap music a try and where I am now where I can say I like it just as much. My suggestion, don't label anything. It's all music. There should only be two categories: music you like, and music you don't like. I just don't like seeing people who buy into stupid social prejudices.

Just continuing the trend of Ed quotes being attributed to Jelly...
  • Aeroglobe%s's Photo

Hardstyle = Posted Image

That music is a straight mind-fuck!

If you that's mindfuck, you should try downloading some hardcore.

Try Ophidian - Angel :yup:

Found that track you're talking about... ruff stuff right there! :X It's all about that tranquil breakdown, dropping right into the climax of the tune with the synths riding over the kicks. :yup:
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo

I was just kinda wondering, but, is anyone not a fan of SoaD?  I'm sure there has to be some.

me. sorry dude, they get annoying pretty quickly for me.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    System of a Down is stupid. Really. Nice jokey novelty band, but I can't take them seriously.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Quiet, J!
  • Dixon Steele%s's Photo

System of a Down is stupid.  Really.  Nice jokey novelty band, but I can't take them seriously.

Yeah, man, I mean, they're totally novelty. Considering they've put out four albums. And, oh, they aren't political at all! All of their songs are jokes, am i rite?
  • Rhynos%s's Photo

System of a Down is stupid.  Really.  Nice jokey novelty band, but I can't take them seriously.

Have you listened to just their radio hits? Cuz yea, they are somewhat, but you need to listen to something like "Spiders" or so. Besides, I think most of their songs are more energetic with a satire behind them. You have to realize what they are about as well as what they mean when they say what they say.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Yeah, man, I mean, they're totally novelty. Considering they've put out four albums. And, oh, they aren't political at all! All of their songs are jokes, am i rite?

I own Toxicity, dipshits.

DON'T BE LATE FOR SCHOOL AGAIN

BOUNCE POGOPOGOPOGOPOGOPOGO

They have shit to say but they're busy singing dumb songs. Or delivering their message in the most idiotic way possible.

WHYDOWEALWAYSSENDTHEPOOR!!!!

The fact that System of a Down passes for intelligent, thoughtful music these days is depressing.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Because listening to Bright Eyes is meaningful, huh?

OO, let's get on a plane and make this girl think she's having her birthday while we're going to fucking crash.

Yes, all the relevence in THE WORLD right there. Gee, I feel so much more intelligent... :bring it:
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    lol..

but seriously, what the fuck. I thought music was for entertainment and not strictly enlightenment. And besides, how can you be more inteligent/enlightened through music, I thought that was a personal thing, not a person to person, feeding lyrics and or bullshit to the listener ordeal. And plus, as with literature (read for entertainment, btw), the better lyrics have a deeper meaning, posses a certain tone to carry an underlying theme across, use metaphors and metononyms and repitition of words, all used for a purpose. The "fuck the government, feed the poor" type lyrics (I don't know if that's how SoaD's are or not) only have meaning at face value. Pretty weak if you ask me.

soo... anyways, that's probably what most indie bands think, and emo bands try to immitate, but whatever.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    ^Yeah, I hardly ever listen to the lyrics anymore. I just don't care about them, quite frankly. I'd rather listen to the music.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    I agree with listening to the melodies and all, but the main point i was making was not saying indie or bright eyes was bad (i find it relaxing when its listened to), i was just saying that of the people i know in person, they think they 'elitists' compared to everyone else and i sometimes get that vibe from a couple people here (i.e. Jelly). The fact that many of their songs are based on worldly events surprises me, especially in their genre where most, i should know, relate to decapitation and anything moderately close to death, otherwise. The fact the they DO represent themselves and only themselves in their genre (and possibly mainstream music) makes me proud to say that at least ONE band/artist has a more secular view of worldly needs and not a secular view of 'how's my money gonna do?'

You have to admit, do you often hear bands talk about anything other than their emotions and lives that surround them?

Oh, and I forgot, OTEP also does the anti-war thing. Just watch their 'warhead' video.

Oh, and to see what I mean by SoaD's worldly view, look at their 'Boom' video.

And while I think about it, since I know that SoaD has at least one song about any war/cruel treatment of people on each CD, can anyone else point out if ANY other band that has sold more than 2 million copies of all their CD's together does the same thing? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe SoaD is at the forefront of overseas disagreements when it comes to almost any other band right now (U2 might be at the same speed SoaD is at, idk, i dont pay attention to them).
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    soad is awesome.

Lyrically, they are just brutally honest and straight forward. I don't think they pay particular attention to how it all fits together, but I think they got the right idea.

Some of their songs though... are annoying.

The one about building prisons? Yeah, that one annoys me.

But yeah, maybe I just find it bearable cuz I share quite a few of his opinions. :lol:
  • Atlus%s's Photo
    Not a fan of soad...I header Chop Suey a while back, and they haven't really had any more hits here since that. And I didn't like Chop Suey so never had the intention of looking at their other stuff.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    That's fine Atlus. But I should tell you they are extremely diverse when it comes to their music. It does jump around quite a bit form song to song and even within songs as well. I really don;t think they have or will even be imitated. I think that's why they are my favorite. That and the fact that they jump around so much. And Serj has cool hair.
  • REspawn%s's Photo

BOUNCE POGOPOGOPOGOPOGOPOGO

Did you read behind this at all?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

That's fine Atlus.  But I should tell you they are extremely diverse when it comes to their music.  It does jump around quite a bit form song to song and even within songs as well.  I really don;t think they have or will even be imitated.  I think that's why they are my favorite.  That and the fact that they jump around so much.  And Serj has cool hair.

System of a Down isn't diverse. Except for maybe, Aerials. The rest of their shit is just normal fast sorta-metal. Big deal.

Though I do agree with you about Bright Eyes eating shit. So don't call me an elitist again, you cunt.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading