Pro Tour 3 / The PT3 Benches

• posix%s's Photo
    i sent it to you the evening you asked for it. via aim. you lost it?
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    LL bench added, thx Posix :)
  • zodiac%s's Photo

In the 20 or so days preceding mine.

lol.
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    If I build, it will most certainly be on Kumba's bench. i like the organisation better, on the other one all the useful small scenery is crammed into one tab.
  • Milo%s's Photo
    lol I love LL.... no picking and choosing benches or swapping scenery....
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Just updated my bench to a 90x90 sized map as it was 75x75 before. So if you DL'ed it before and are finding it kinda small you may want to DL it again or you can go into the SE and make it bigger that way.
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    Can we put a 50x200 (or something close too it) picture of our entry in our sig? Or does it need to be in its own little topic?
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    In the screens topic only, when I start it, should be soon.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    EDIT: Nevermind, this is in the official rules.
    So we can switch objects around between the two using dimport? I really liked both benches at first, and decided to go with the new one since it has some of the corner bricks (it's lacking the only really important one though, argh). However, as I'm using it I keep discovering that it's missing a lot of basic things I need (mud 1/4 tile, rounded brick 1/4 tile, corrugated steel wall, etc), so I'm either going to switch over to Kumba's, since it has them, or dimport the stuff in from Kumba's.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Wait, the basic bench has to be resized? Oh my god... if it expands in the wrong direction I will be so pissed I'm probably going to quit (everything so far is in a corner and made to be that way).

And to the (way) above posts about land capping, I don't believe it comes from zero-clearancing a lot, because I can't do it very often on this computer (8cars has a tendency to zero-clearance and then stop working before I can restore)
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    I counted the squares in the regular bench (Levis,Magnus,Gee) and I counted 83² squares.
    But shouldn't the bench be 90² squares?

just wondering...

"MFG"
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    ^and^^: It doesn't have to be any specific size, it just has to be under the sum of 90x90. So it's fine if it's 75x75 or 83x83, unless you want it bigger/smaller.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Yeah, I checked and counted both benches (Advance bench is 75x75 and the Basic is 83x83, as mentioned) and was thinking I didn't want to expand to 90x90 if I don't have to... but since I also checked which edges it will expand from, I know it wouldn't be too big of a deal if I had to.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    This was a mistake on my part, to prevent the object team starting entries before everyone else I did not tell them the size and forgot to set it myself. The other day I uploaded a 90x90 version of my advanced bench so thats good now, but unless Levis, Magnus and geewhzz ask me to I don't intend to add the 7x7 more that can be tacked on.

Also the whole 2 bench concept was very last second and does not really take advantage of giving people a lot of stuff to work with. SO, I am going to make a third bench out of stuff competitors can request.

For example say Geoff posts a screen asking for this:

Posted Image

That would be on a list of stuff to add to this third bench.

Below please post screens of everything you think must be added. You may only post once, so make the best of it.

In a week I will take all the screens into consideration and do a third bench that can be dimported from only. If the requests outnumber the room on the bench stuff picked twice will be used and requests from NE Parkmakers will be given priority.

Sorry for all the mix ups and if you may have started an entry on a smaller bench then you thought you had.

Kumba
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    so are the benches in the first post now absolutely fine to work on? i don't intend to muck about with dimporting at all... objects really don't matter that much anyway, what's going to make or break a pro tour entry is your concept and atmosphere, objects to this extent are only a tiny part of that.

Edited by deanosrs, 18 July 2007 - 05:05 AM.

• Kumba%s's Photo
    Yeah, the only problem is that they were not posted at max size.
  • John%s's Photo
    I don't understand the idea of allowing for a third RCT2 bench at this point. Here we are, a week after the original benches were uploaded, and now things can change again? Why not just stick with the two benches? There is plenty to choose from between the two benches already available. Not to mention, it seems like adding a third bench into the mix defeats the general purpose of a workbench. The size difference shouldn't make a tremendous difference anyway, because if people have already started with the 83x83 bench, then obviously everything is planned to fit in that 83x83 area. And an extra 7x7 area won't make or break an entry.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    I agree with John.
    It makes everything more complicated.

It takes some time to swap all these objects, and with a new bench, this would just take more time.

Just stick with these two benches and let us be creative ;)

"MFG"

Edited by 5dave, 18 July 2007 - 11:28 AM.

• Xcoaster%s's Photo
    It only complicates things if you let it complicate things. If you're happy with what you have on the bench, you don't have to do anything else. It just means that you need to download and open one more bench in order to see some of the PT entries.

Anyways, I very much like the idea. I've never understood the idea of placing limits on creativity. It makes stuff more artsy, but I've rarely gone back and looked at my old stuff and though "Gee, I'm sure glad I didn't have that new object when I was building this, because it sure came out better from the lack of it." Maybe once. But for the most part, if I know what I need, I'd prefer not to make substitutions.

So here's my requests:
    Posted Image
    Of these, I'd very much like the two wall corner stone objects and the corrugated steel quarter tile piece. The steep roofs would be very handy as well, but I'll place them in my "requests" list as opposed to my "demands." And while it would be nice to have all the various steep roofs, only the steepest should suffice, since it creates enough of a contrast where the others aren't necessary. All the others would take up too much space.
    Posted Image
    And then of these, the only one I'll place on my "demands" list is that clear, unbordered, glass wall. Of those steep 1/4 tile blocks, I think most of them are already included in the two benches, but I think about 4 of them aren't. I could probably live without them, but they'd be nice to have. And the fountains are fairly common, so I thought I'd include them. And those 1/8 tile objects might be handy.

And I forgot to get a screenshot of it, but that diagonal 1/4 tile brick block piece might be helpful too.
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    True words.
    I would have liked to see the PT3 being built on the PT1 bench. Would be nice to compare the new entries with the ones from the first contest and see if players are better now or if it is just the possibilities offered by the objects that make the parks look better.

Pretty obvious which bench I am using, I guess. ;)

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading