Pro Tour 3 / PT3 Screens

• Ling%s's Photo
    no... I didn't say that you were referring to me. Just commenting that I am doing this:

Right now I'm playing the game like it's a couple years ago, certainly not with the OMG OMG OMG level of tiles thrown everywhere that seems to be expected.

as well.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    ^Ah I see.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Ride6
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    For all people who say theh screen looks disjointed and random.

Their is not randomness in my work. Everything is placed for a reason and every detail is placed for a reason. Whether or not you like the reasoning i chose is not my problem, its yours.

So comments like this:

"I just hope there is some more refinement and reason behind future work. "

and this:

" the random "detail" (the really small 1/32nd tile blocks on the right side of that Herbal Remedies building) looks horrible."

...those really arent accurate criticisms. I dont play the game to put in as much detail as I can, and even in that screen there really isn't tons and tons of detail thrown around for the hell of it. My level of review, refinement, and criticism of my OWN work is probably more harshly applied then any of you guys with your work, so to call my work random is a bit of an insult. I don't throw aroun detail for the sake of creating detail, I throw around detail to make a purpose. The herbal remedies has the art deco pieces to give it a old feel. The tree in the center is placed as theming for the ride Tree Hugger. The little signs (they are subject to change, really don't know yet how the offical hippe signs will look) are their to invoke the hippie atmosphere. The reasoning for the ferris wheel smiley face is obvious. The poles with lights on top? Those are supports for the coaster. The path layout? The Ferris Wheel and Tree Hugger are placed in the center for architectural reasons. The Ferris wheel is the first large ride you see upon entering the park (with the Flying Rainbow passing right under it). The Tree Hugger is placed behind it for path and peep interaction. I felt it important to place a ride like this in the center so it can be seen at all times (Just like you can see the Flying Rainbow at all times). It, along with Flying Rainbow, are the areas two premier attractions. Do you want me to continue? I don't play the game to impress you guys with buildings only beautiful at face value I play the game to create experiences. Hell, i could care less if I impress you or not, because I know that my parks are impressively done and that is not me being arrogant. I don't play this game to make things in a random matter. I repeat. I don't play this game to make things in a random matter. Any questions or conerns?
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I didn't mean to offend. I'm just saying that it's hard to get into because at first glance it doesn't look like much. I knew instantly that those 1/64th blocks were meant to be loose bricks that have worked their way out over years of weathering, etc. I'm just also saying that it's more difficult to enjoy because of the level of complexity.

Not to say that it isn't that much more enjoyable once you take the time to get into it.

And don't think you're the only one here who holds yourself to high standards; particularly in this contest.

Ride6
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    ^Wasnt necesarilly referring to you Ride6, i had a quote of yours in my post but deleted it because really it didnt have much to do with wat I was saying. your criticisms are fine. And I know im not the only one who holds myself to high standards, Im sure you are just as nitpicky about your own work.

Its more directed at Ling and Eman.

And Ride, your comment about coasters and their use in the PT. It is going to be quite interesting, for my park im only really planning to have one "large" coaster, and god knows how im going to fit it in on such a small map. Its going to take some real real strategy. That issue is one I think Phatage dealt with arlight...in order to have such large coasters he accepted the fact that his themed areas would be compromised in size. It worked out well for him, and thats just one precedent to look at in regards to coaster building in the PT....something you should consider Zodiac, as your coaster does seem large.

Now for your screen zodiac, its nice. I appreciate the interactions you have between the coaster and its landscape. The first drop is unique, and it leads to an intense flyby over water which would be absolutely insane on a flyer. The supports im not so sure of. They seem blocky, and their best intent from my perspective would be to define an architectural space or to block your view. One thing they do well is make the coaster seem imposing. However, I think they compromise the elegance and natural feel that the rest of the coaster seems to invoke, which I don't know if that was your intent or not. Also, why didnt you use the B&M supports in the bench? just a question, not suggesting it...I didn't use B&M coaster supports for Flying Rainbow either, and I dont know if Im going to really use them at all in my entry.
  • eman%s's Photo
    I never said it was random. It merely appears that way in the final product. Im sure you put everything in places with a great reason behind it, but for me I look at that screen and just appears slightly too chaotic and unorganized for my tastes. I did say next time there should be more reason behind it, but that was the wrong thing to say. Im aware theres reason behind it, I meant to just state the fact that I hope next time it APPEARS more refined, so my bad for the miscommunication there.

Edited by eman, 19 July 2007 - 10:34 PM.

• vekoma9%s's Photo

Might as well. Helps you all see how much I'll get crushed.

Posted Image

Drop on Infinite, B&M Flyer.

I love this screen.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    It certainly is classy, and because of the use of the old supports it looks like you can expect the rest of the park to be done in that fashion, and I would therefore judge it personally that way. Might not be what the judges are looking for though. Good use of sweeping turns :)
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    I feel honoured.
    Fatha' copying my ideas. :)
  • Fisch%s's Photo
    Posted Image

please forget my area in Majestic Paradise, my design and my PT entry!!!
    This park and my solo, Duisburger Wunderland, are the only things that really count.
  • Marshy%s's Photo
    mmm, lovely.
  • Geoff%s's Photo
    All screens look really good. Fisch, lovely. Fatha'. Jesus.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    hmmm... overuse of deco lining, but the window trick and the boardwalk style are really cool. The buildings look realistic, too.
  • Six Frags%s's Photo
    Why are you guys spoiling so much? I thought the PT screen topics always were meant to put you viewers on the wrong track.. I mean for example Slob's and cBass' PT1 screens were little teasers where nobody could've predicted what it was going to be eventually..

I think I like Fisch's screen best and could make the best score in the PT.. I'm purely going on looks now though, and not the whole concept/coasters etc..

SF
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    well im no where near screen status with my park. love the screens guys.

Fatha'-love the peepablitly and it looks very interesting although alittle crowded to my eye. nice overall

Zodiac-the screens looks very nice to so dont seel yourself short. the coaster looks like alot of fun. im not a fan of the big wooden supports. im not liking the trees with the metal bases for pest control. looks very unnatrual. also the cliff face is kinda akward. maybe some land blocks to break it up.

Fisch-love the screen. colorful and bright much like a board walk yet a new fresher look to it unlike the normal board walk archy. i think maybe buidling those wooden poles in the same place might stop those glitches. also the bottoms of the buildings look oddly bare. great work

FK
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    Wow, I *really* need to get cracking.

Fatha' - I admit, it does look a little chaotic, but it's also brilliant. I love Tree Huggers (the ride, not the smelly hippies). I'm really looking forward to this park, and your screen hasn't changed the fact that I'm still betting on you to win. And if each section is as varied as you say it will be, this should be pretty awesome.
    Zodiac - Very nice looking coaster and landscaping. Just keep in mind, as others have said, that you need to utilize your space well. I hope your park isn't finished a month from now, because parks like what Fatha' has posted are generally what does well, and what you have shown looks more like something from a full size park where you can afford to have tons of open space (though you don't want to underestimate some open space). Admittedly though, it looks like it would be a very nice full scale park.
    Fisch - I'll admit that I'm a little bored of the boardwalk theme (assuming that's what it is; the water does seem awfully deep), and your large buildings go somewhat against what I usually expect from that sort of theme, but at the same time, this work is very, very nice. Definitely one of the best attempts I've seen of the boardwalk theme. A full park like this will be a tough contender.
  • Fisch%s's Photo
    Thanks for your comments, guys.

@Ling:
    Oh, I don't know why everybody who has seen those windows already (not only in this park) calls it a trick.
    It's not that hard to do because you have only to zero clearances and I'm doing that for every building I make.
    Also I've done a by far better "window trick" already which isn't possible in this map. :(
    Also I used those art deco scenery pieces that often because I wanted to make the 2nd and 3rd floor much more detailed than the first one and it looks much better with those deco lining pieces because it gives a nice contrast to the walls.
    Thank you for the compliment! :)

@SF:
    This is the wrong track.
    I've two areas nearly finnished now and the other one looks by far better than this (ok, this is nearly!! finnished and I've build a few things in the other area...I've finnished about 10x10 land tiles already and they look just amazing! :)

What do you mean with make the best score in the pt?!?!?! :|
    You don't mean that I have a little chance to win, right? :X
    If you think so, I love you from now on! :D
    Thanks pretty much.

@Fk+Coastermind:
    I always want to build themes that nobody has made before.
    Look at my solo...I've never even seen another Norwegian area yet or a medieval area that has the same style like mine.
    Also the mainstreet is pretty unique and a completely new style, isn't it?
    It's much more fun to build new things and I always love to see how people react on a new style.
    No, that doesn't stop the glitches. I've tried that already. '-.-
    Yes, I know that the bottom of the buildings is a bit bare but I think in reality there are only advertisements or placards on the 1st floor of those buildings so I didn't make too much in the 1st floor.

@Xcoaster:
    Thank you very much for your comment and it's great to hear that you like it. The water is very deep, you're right. It goes to the bottom of the map. :happy:
    Sorry for that, maybe I'll make it a bit higher. Nice to hear that this park could be in the upper section if it will be like it is on the screen.
    If every area will be like the 2nd area I started this really will make some tough competion to the other parks because I personally think that the second area is much better than this first one! :)

Fisch

Edited by Fisch, 20 July 2007 - 01:56 PM.

• Six Frags%s's Photo
    Well, out of the 3 screens I liked yours the most.. So, if your whole park (concept, coasters, atmosphere, landscaping, architecture etc) is better than fatha' (which is very unlikely imho) I think you could win yes...
    What I meant with the best score, is that there are a couple of judges every PT, and they all prefer different styles most of the time.. Every PT there's always one judge (or 2) that has a VERY different opinion than most of the others (meaning giving lower scores where other judges rated it all higher); In High Rollers it was Natelox who got "Pyro'd", in PT1 it was Mala who got "VTD'd", and in PT2 it was Corkscrewed who got "turtled" and Steve who got "fatha'd"... I think your screen is the best "judge-proof", meaning all judges would rate it the same (no hit-or-miss park)...

SF
  • Emergo%s's Photo

Emergo, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds will not be in this park. LSD is not one of the drugs.

^oops, you are right, you said Ecstasy, not LSD.....
    Glanced over the text and the screen a bit too quickly as I had little time, but now I can invest a bit more time......

Anyway, I still love the theme (even if yes, Magnus did the theme before, but - unless one is called Xcoaster -, it's very hard to find a completely new theme in RCT now, and of course a "completely new theme" is not needed either to make an awesome park).

Your screen fatha, does not look very beautiful or balanced from the view of a RL-RCT-player, but I think it looks incredibly exciting from the sight of an RCT-peep. And that is what you are going for, if I am right.

It also reminds me a lot of Phatage's last and so great PT-winning park BGS: the peep-experience, the fact that it is not pure "beauty" to look at, but focussed on experiences of RCT-peeps and ideas about that, the custom trees (which in Phatage's park you had to peel away to see what amazing things they covered) and it all makes me really looking forward to your -undoubtfully very good and skillfull - execution of this concept. ............ (keep going of course, and here in little Amsterdam there are quite some coffeeshops that are willing to give you extra information on the weed-scene, but I'm sure you don't need them, LoL!)

@ Zodiac: Think your screen is very elegant and pleasing. And it would be fantastic if this can be executed in the whole of the park...but also, like others said before, take care how much room you can spare for these kind of things, as a PT-map is not very large after all and everyone (judges included) are also longing to see things that are more than "just" elegant and pleasing in a PT-park.....

@ Fisch: a really, really nice boardwalk-execution!
    No problem that the lowest section is less detailed (or windowed-like) than the floors above, although by now the difference is really huge: even in RL there would (as far as I know) be at least some little things on the lower floor also (can be very minute, like whatever small irregularity/deco by whatever a bit higher up, but something I think, to attract attention from the peeps walking by and make them think: " interesting building", even if they don't view it from a further-away distance).
    Very lovely and very promising screen though!

Adding to the comment of SF: there were (in PT1 and PT2) also judges that classified some parks that much higher than anyone else, that those parks got a place that hardly anyone found them worthy of.......
    Just to say: it still stays a "tombola/a bit of luck of who places where", but nevertheless if you all who placed a screen so far go on finishing this one....we'll have a wonderful PT-time :biggrin:

Emergo
  • lucas92%s's Photo
    Fisch: Freak. :p
    Zodiac: Put less water and it'll be fine.
    Fatha':meh, where's the path? It's too condensed IMO.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading