Music Forum / Is anybody here...

• In:Cities%s's Photo
    I've been recording music for several years now, and was wondering if there was anyone else here thats involved with audio engineering and recording arts as well:]

if so, this could be the topic where you upload and show off your musica:DD

as of now, i've been working on a new music project.
    its called In:Cities of course lol.
    i actually started this music project before i rejoined NE, so i just used it as my s/n on here.
    but here is a short sample of the new song i've been working on lately.

http://www.purevolume.com/InCities

nobody else has heard this at all yet, so you guys are the first:]
    i know it might not be many of your guy's taste in music, but this took quite a bit of work.
    i wrote/recorded/sang/played/mixed it all myself, using a $40 program from target, and one quarterinch input.

sorry that its not done, and not mixed fully, and mastered.
    i kinda rushed it today so you guys could hear it lol.

but yeah, i would love to hear any other musicians out there too:]]]
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    dude, that is so damn awesome

i award you

78 kudos.

the only critisism i could possibly give is to be carefull how many layers of each instrument you add, especially live.

the last thing you want is to dissapoint people live cause there favourite layer of guitar wasnt there.

i have learned alot about recording in the past week or so.
    the only thing i have thats recorded thats uploaded anywhere is my BANDS MYSPACE

please nobody tell me the bass is horribly out of tune.
    i know, i played it. the mixing is horrible as we just recorded it live, and then just did the bass over the top on both tracks.

EDIT : Plug in baby is a cover of course, and clockwork is of my own creation. i have written about 18 songs so far, not including my music coursework (:p) but my drummer seems reluctant to start other things for some reason...

Edited by SSSammy, 29 May 2009 - 01:40 PM.

well see thats the thing, i'm not writing it to be played live, i'm writing it because it sounds pretty:]
    remember, i'm not in a band anymore, so while having three layers of guitar in a chorus isnt probable, (unless you're hawthorne heights), i like the countermelodies, and the epicness it adds to it.

and yeahh, my vocals arent too great lol.
    i've never sang anything other than acoustic stuff

(oh and btw dude, your music is really good! i mean, like you said, the recording quality isnt too good, but it still sounds really nice. its a bit repetitive, but its a lot more complex than most stuff i hear out there. i definately hear the Muse and the Who influence in there:] )

Edited by In:Cities, 29 May 2009 - 01:45 PM.

• Gwazi%s's Photo
    wow. very good. make a full album and i'd buy it.
    ha really?
    dang dude.
    i was just messing around, not going for anything mindblowing.

i've never tried making this sort of music before, so its very experimental for me:]
    but thanks:D
  • gir%s's Photo
    i thought it was pretty nice apart from the singing, no offense. i know some people are into that style but it doesn't do much for me.
  • Nokia%s's Photo
    im with gwazi on this one.
    lol like i said dude, i'm not a singer:]
  • Nokia%s's Photo
    i liked the vocals....
  • Camcorder22%s's Photo
    Wow In:Cities thats pretty pro. I liked the layering as it kind of gave me a post-rock, post-metal feel. And although thats not what kind of style vocals I listen to, I can tell you are pretty good at singing at least.

Sammy your stuff sounds like it has potential, just keep writing cool riffs like that to make more varied songs and find some better way to record and you will be good.

Heres my band, Lucid Reality.
    thanks bro:]

i've never tried vocals like that before actually haha.
    i prefer the higher pitched singing, mixed with some screaming vocals, but i cant scream worth crap, so i might get a friend of mine to drop a track or two on it.
    he's got them Bring me the Horizon style vox;]

oh well i'm glad you guys like it so far:D
    its all experimental for me at this point, but i'm definately continuing with this.

anyone else with anything recorded? i'm curious.

and camcorder, i'll give your band a listen probably tomorrow.
    i just got back from my high school graduation (WOO!)
    and its kindof late for me to give a listen atm lol
  • Brent%s's Photo
    That's pretty sweet sounding... reminds me of TREOS a bit. Should post it over at absolutepunk.net's forums as I'm sure they'd dig it.

BTW, you look exactly like this other kid at AP.net who was on FoxNews a couple weeks ago talking about smoking Smarties, lol. Dude's from NorCal though...

Edited by The Beta Factor, 29 May 2009 - 09:59 PM.

• Camcorder22%s's Photo
    Since its somewhat relevant to the topic, does anyone know any free programs where you can program drums?
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Dunno about free... but Fruity Loops maybe?
    yeahh, FL is actually what i used for this lol.
    its really designed for the hip hop/dance/techno style music, but i've put a lot of effort into programming somewhat realistic sounding drums.

idk if its free or not though dude.
    i got mine from a friend of mine in 9th grade lol.
    i know they have trial versions for free(which is what faggot soulja boy used to make his stupid hit song lol)
    but as far as a full program, either just buy it, or take a huge risk and torrent it.

but as far as drum programming goes, the best way, other than a perfectly mic-ed up set with a great drummer, is to get a decent MIDI controller, or one of the higher end drum programmers, like Reason maybe, or the other one i cant seem to think of atm lol.
    best bet is to probably just look up a decent program and save up for it bro.
    thats what i'm doing now:]
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Sounds great dude. You'd be surprised by what you can accomplish with just messing around with recording software. I don't know if you know the band A Rocket to the Moon, but he started out in my hometown by just messing around like you did and people liked it so much he kept going and now he's signed to Fueled by Ramen. I say keep going, because you have the talent. I dig the vocals too.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    the bit at the end is the best.
    show us moar :(
    not usually the kinda thing i listen to either.
    are you using a computer to mix this stuff?
    if so what programs are you using?
    ive lost my 6 1/2" - 3 1/2 " adapter, so i used an actual recording studio unit to record the stuff on my myspace.
    i dont know why i havnt got a new adapter yet. its been missing for months.
    steve- yeah bro, i've heard of him. i have pretty much all of his music lol. i would love to accomplish that man, but its so hard these days to maintain that originality and transparency needed to make it big and remain at the top. i'm definately going to continue on with this though, as it feels so much smoother recording and writing something like this, rather than any other project i've worked on in the past. so who knows dude. i'm going off to college in a few months at Palm Beach Atlantic University, and theres a pretty good music scene over there in palm beach, so maybe i might get hooked up with a decent band and who knows what can happen:]

sammy- haha yeah dude, i cut it off there, cause i didnt have any vocals recorded there yet, and it wasnt mixed properly. the good thing is, a few friends of mine who i have been in bands with in the past have been really interested in recording some vocals for this just for fun, which would be amazing, because they're very good. idk if its your style at all, but one sounds similar to mike from the devil wears prada, and the other sounds similar to ollie from bring me the horizon lol.
    but as for the mixing, yeah man, i'm using a cpu to mix this. virtually all mixing and mastering in any studio is done on a computer. i dont see why anyone would mix anything analog in my opinion lol. i recorded and mixed this on my crappy desktop computer using Sony Acid music studio 6.0. its super crappy, and i really dont recommend it to anyone, but its all i have. it was $40 at target lol. the only reason i got this sounding somewhat decent was 1, a lot of experience over the years by trial and error. 2, i use a lot of compression on the bass/guitar/vocals, to get that tight sound. 3, i record every single guitar riff and melody twice, and pan the corresponding tracks in opposite ears, in order to create that full stereo sound. so i mean, you can get decent quality out of most programs, you just got to really work at it lol.
    i reallly wish i had protools though:/

eventually maybe:]
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    soulja boy tell 'em!

e if you need software just pirate it like everyone else, honestly.

Edited by tracidEdge, 31 May 2009 - 01:24 AM.

• SSSammy%s's Photo
    wavelab is freaking awsesome.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading