Music Forum / Is anybody here...

• Lloyd%s's Photo
    Sounds tight bro, you should definately keep working on this! Some screams in the background would really fit that chorus well. I'm feeling Oceana in it for sure.

I'm studying Music Technology at college, so yes, you could say i am involved with audio engineering ;)

I'm starting a band up at the moment, post hardcore/hardcore goodness ;) I'll post some tracks up once they're recorded.
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    nice dude:]]]
    i'm planning on majoring in popular music in college, and then eventually going to full sail in orlando for recording arts.

but yeah bro, i would really love to hear some of your stuff:]
    post hardcore music is so good man. i love the layers of guitar, and ambient style mixed with heaviness, and mixed vocals.
    its not for everyone, but most shows i've been to with bands of this style are so packed with emotion and intensity, i love it.
    now dont get me wrong, theres tons of super crappy wannabe posthardcore bands out there, but the good ones, like oceana, burden of a day, we came as romans, of machines, in fear in faith, attack attack, etc, have completely amazing live sets.
    i cant wait for warped this summer:]

but yeah dude, post it up soon!
    and as for the screams in the chorus, my friend justin is coming over this week to record some vox for this. we'll throw a few breakdowns in for fun as well;]

i'm actually heading to palm beach today to HOPEFULLY pick up a new recording program:D
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Man that stuff you have is very muddy and has no space between the guitars. I really like the tremolo picked guitar harmony at the end, it's very Muse like, and therefore great. I'd recommend that you start playing around with high-pass filters on the guitars and possibly vocals as well. And reverb for space... The vocals are definitely mixed too low and the kick drum too high. The guitars are about where they belong... I can't tell if there's bass in there even. If you're going for a wall of sound though, you've certainly accomplished that, but I'd recommend pushing the vocals up, or everything else down if you don't want the average listening complaining that they can't hear you.

---

Personally I just us Audacity with a line 6 guitar port and a cheap ART Tube Project Preamp... I currently don't have a good way to record drums... but I've spent a couple days (and several hundred dollars) in a local studio with my band Jealous Radio. The recordings we have up on myspace also sound fairly muddy so I might to re-upload a rip from the new master, which sounds much clearer. I'm the guitarist on almost all of those recordings, for all parts other than the upbeat-stabs in American Dream and the lead (outside the solo) in Bought and Sold.

Anyway, good luck with the music thing. The big problem today is that there's an information overload for bands thanks to myspace, purevolume, and the like. Every band that every middle, high school, and college kid starts gets it's own page and whether or not they're still active, or reliant is hard to say. The only way bands can really assert themselves is by doing shows until people start to take notice. Good ol' word of mouth promotion still goes further than anything else.

---

Oh I guess I should note where I'm coming from musically. I'm a guitarist primarily; of the Fender snob / indie-kid variety (I'm obsessed with clarity, texture, and effects). I also sing, and play bass and drums. I've experimented with singing saw, keyboards, and various electronic toys as well. If you need a different take on things I'm always willing to lend an ear or even a recording.

Ride6
  • Lloyd%s's Photo

Man that stuff you have is very muddy and has no space between the guitars.

I think that just comes down to the hardware he used to record. For the set up he said he has, i was expecting much worse quality.
  • gir%s's Photo
    Really nice stuff ride6, I would buy an album.
    thanks ride6:]
    yeah dude, i know its very muddy, and i myself prefer a much cleaner mix as well. i havent ran any of the guitars through a high pass filter, or EQed them at all yet, and yeah, i agree on the kick drum being to loud and the vocals too low.
    the reason the vocals are this low now, is that i'm going to be adding other vocals in there as well, and i'll do the final level mix once i get all the tracks in. this is a very unfinished mix so far lol.
    i'll be home all day today, so hopefully i'll get a decent amount work done on it, and maybe post another version up for you guys:]

and as far as your stuff bro, the recording quality was very clean, but the vocals were a little low though. but like you said, you have a new mastered version, so hit me up once you put it up man:]

but hey dude, here's a tip that you can either shrug off, or take and run with it.
    i noticed you guys only have like 150 friends on your page.
    when i used to be in a band for about ehh 8 months or so, we had about 8,500 friends on myspace.
    it makes a HUGE difference to the average listener who stumbles across your page when they see a large amount of friends on there.
    lol it may sound kind of stupid and ridiculous, but let me tell you bro, it works wonders.
    we were a brand new band on the scene when we started playing shows, but we would get shows with signed bands, and end up playing in the best spots in the lineup, rather than the normal opening up spot.
    we would actually get paid more than the other bands sometimes as well lol.
    the bookers would notice how many fans and plays we had on our page, and automatically assume that we were on a different level than any of the other bands.
    now dont get me wrong though man, it may seem like a bit of cheating, but theres nothing wrong with a little bit of promotion. and the good thing was, adding everyone you possibly can ends up creating tons of actual fans anyways.
    for a new band on the scene, we had a huge fanbase, and by the time of our 3rd show, we had the crowd singing our songs with us. that was so crazy lol.
    all i'm saying man, if you guys want a little bit more credibility to the average listener, add as many people as you possibly can, and maintain a professional appearance.
    what we would do was alternate each night.
    for instance, one night, one member would spend the evening going through friend lists and adding everyone they saw, then the next night, a different member.
    we would get close to 1k friends every week.
    we tried to add all the people we could find around our area.
    it was sick, cause many of these people ended up digging our music, and coming to our shows:]

so yeah, sorry for the insanely long post lol.
    you may think of me as stupid for telling you just to go add people on myspace, but from personal experience, it works:]

oh, and if you can man, maybe try and get a simple layout design as well. people notice that and really start to take you seriously. i know of some really exceptional designers who will design you one and make you banners for about $50:]

thanks again for the feedback, and good luck bro. it sounds good:]
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    We had a really nice flash layout but it was nothing but trouble because it had issue displaying show information prominently. Frankly I don't deal with the page much outside of actual content. And I assume you're in an area with an actual music scene so to speak? Because things are basically dead here, not that I'm blaming that on anything. Just saying we're actually being seen as one of the bigger up-and-coming bands already because we promote (flyers, word of mouth, we display a banner at all our shows, that sorta thing), and draw small crowds even over an hour from our main 'scene'.

For future reference, ever call me bro. I don't know what it is about the word but it just casts everything you say into doubt for me.

We might start some of the viral advertising you speak of, as it sound like a way to get fans and listeners that we otherwise might never meet. Then again I know how I'd react to it if I got one of those invites... Ignore it, delete it! Even on the off chance that I listened to and liked the band I might not support them for such desperate tactics. But I suppose there are a lot of people out there less busy and more open minded to such things. We'll try it, though it will be a much smaller scale.

Ride6
    lol sorry about the whole bro thing, i'm just used to it.

but yeah, i'm down here in south florida, and theres a pretty exceptional music scene here. lots of show opportunities and such.

and the whole "viral advertising" thing you just mentioned, it doesnt have to go any farther than just a simple friend request:]
    but if anyone comments or messages you digging the music, be sure to absolutely comment back and talk to them! it shows that you are a real person, and not just music. it builds fans:]

let me know when you get some new stuff up though dude.
    i quite like your musica
  • Lloyd%s's Photo
    You're completely right about spamming friend requests on myspace, it generates a whole load of interest. But just so you know, you can download programs such as 'friend blaster', which is basically a bot which sends all the invites for you, saves you a lot of time.

Just for the record, here is their page; www.myspace.com/smileliketexasuk

They have over 26,000 friends, and it generates a whole load of interest!
    lol yeah, but i've had friends of mine in other bands who have used those programs, and gotten caught by myspace and had their profiles deleted haha
    i finished the song:]

http://www.purevolume.com/InCities

my friend justin stopped by yesterday and recorded all of the screaming vocals in about an hour.

i stayed up till like 2 last night mixing and mastering it.
    and i think it actually came out pretty decent for the program i used.
    its the best quality music i have ever recorded:]

and yeah, i know that this music isnt many of your styles lol.
    but hopefully some of you guys like it:D

any more updates ride6? i really would like to hear more if thats possible
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    i feel like it really has potential, but right now, it just sounds like everything else in that genre. dark, lots of screaming, power chords. the music itself is very good, and that's why i'd really like to see some different ideas come out of it. look at Dance Gavin Dance, they've become one of the best bands on the scene and have grown to shift away from that style in favor of something more original. there's a lot that can be done with it, and i'm looking forward to more.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    Yeah that was pretty stereotypical. Try to make something unique. This is especially easy for you if you're not planing on playing it live because you can use any trick without any fear of having to replicate it later (this should apply to every band but people are stupid and think when people buy music they want to be bored).

Also I hate this style of hardcore, but that's not really a valid criticism.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    To be honest, i enjoyed the snippet more :s

it might have just not been my cup of tea.

i cant stand screaming in songs.
    okay maybe i can sometimes if used effectively,
    but i dont think it was here.

i thought the bit at the end of the snippet was going to be some kind of gracefull transition, but witht eh screaming over it, it was just annihalated :/
    i agree with zodiac that the music was beautiful.

the singing was good, but the screaming just wasnt... i hated the screaming.
    thanks for the constructive criticism guys:]
    i know the screaming isnt amazing, and it was very repetitive and stereotypical, but this was kindof my first time ever writing and creating music of this type and style.
    i have another song idea in my head right now, and i'll definately push this one to be unique and different this time, while still retaining the same musical style.
    just change up the vocals a bit and make it more technical:]
    but overall, i was pleased on how the production turned out.
    again, it was my first time making something like this.
    thanks for listening though guys:D
    i just uploaded an old acoustic song i recorded a couple months ago on my purevolume:]
    i wrote it for my gf, so its one of those sappy little "would be gay if it wasnt written to a girl" songs.
    i figured i'd post it, being that it shows a different style from me lol

http://www.purevolume.com/InCities

:D
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I agree with Sammy about the tremolo picked section that was at the end of the original clip (musically it's beautiful, the screaming really ruins the effect). Otherwise it seemed alright for the style. The kick drum still dominates a bit, particularly in the beginning, but it works. I really like what you did @ around 1:25-1:30 with the screamy vocals... Assuming that was a production trick... If not congrats to your friend for being about to stutter his voice that well. Man that tremolo picked section should really be something though...

The new tune is exactly what you said it is... I think you buried your voice under too many effects honestly... Or it sounds like it even if you didn't really. Also I love reversed acoustic guitar, it sound amazing every time I hear it... Probably because it reminds me of the first time I listened to Moon and Antarctica by Modest Mouse, and I adore that album.

As for our stuff I can upload a few rip that's a bit clearer but those are the only recordings worth posting publicly... I could dig out a couple of our recordings from last summer or some of the demos I've been working on if you want to hear that stuff specifically, but most of it is either incomplete or a total mess... The main issue being drums. I could sequence some in Hydrogen if I was doing it as my own recording project, but within the context of Jealous Radio we have WAY too talented of a drummer to not have his playing on the recordings; and we don't currently have any good way of recording drums (a cheap condenser mic is all we need to give it a shot though... So maybe I should stop making excuses... But for anything more than demos he'd want to be able to mix certain drums separately, so that means 8 mics on drums... *sigh*).

Ride6
    yeah i hear ya dude, recording drums is a total pain. these days the only way to get them sounding decent is to front a lot of cash and go to a really nice studio, or to get an amazing sound technician who knows a lot about placing mics and hooking everything up, which would be a lot of money anyways having to pay for 8 mics lol.
    but pleeease do not record drums on a single condenser mic lol. i've tried it before, and it makes the drummer sound like crap even though he's not haha.
    you said you have a program for programming drums? hydrogen or something?
    i've never heard of it.
    is it nice?
  • RamSam12%s's Photo
    During my senior year of high school, I learned how to create electronic music for my senior project. Basically I have always liked the sound of techno/trance music and wanted to create some of my own.

I use a program called Reason 4.0 for all my music creation/mixing/editing.

Here's some links to forum topics at Abstraction Point (a music website run by one of my friends) where I have my tracks posted and are available for download (no, you do NOT have to register to download). These were my first tracks and were made a little over a year ago.

http://forum.abstrac...php?topic=514.0

http://forum.abstrac...php?topic=515.0

http://forum.abstrac...php?topic=516.0
    ^ dang dude, i reallly want to listen to your stuff.
    i love electronic music lol.
    but my stupid computer isnt letting me go to that supload streaming site for some reason:/
    do you have any of it stored anywhere else?

and btwm if thats you on the red cd cover thing, you look kinda just like this one kid i knew in school lol

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading