Theme Park Discussion / Intimidator 305 at kings dominion!

• inVersed%s's Photo

I have waited 10 years for Carowinds to finally get a world class roller coaster. I'll probably be going opening day.

I know it was relocated from CGA, but isn't Nighthawk a "world class roller coaster"?

BTW the mysterious project at CP finally gets a name- Whyte Lightning... at least its not another Intimidator
  • nin%s's Photo
    I seriously thought Carowinds' coaster was going to be named White Lightning..
    Ah well, looks like "Intimidator" is quickly becoming the next Goliath.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    ^^ Nighthawk is an unusual, kind-of-new, formerly one-of-a-kind coaster, so if that makes it world class, it's world class. But it's not very good. Not terrible, but definitely not great either. When the TPR group visited, I think only one person rode it more than once during the ERT.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo

I look forward to riding this, but is there any reason Cedar Fair has gone with two different companies to produce two pretty similar rides?

I assume they care about enthusiasts, and don't want to hear complaining about rides being cloned.

Seriously though, I'm pleased that they're going with two different manufacturers, as both will probably be great and different from each other, yet similar in quality and plan of attack. I think it's too early to say which will be the most highly rated, but so far Carowinds is getting fewer complaints. I'm personally much more excited about KD's, as it looks more unusual, it's a giga, I have a better chance of getting there soon, and I think I prefer Intamin hypers vs B&Ms (I've only been on Millennium Force for Intamin hypers, but I've been on 4 B&M hypers and now that I've gotten plenty of rides on a couple of them I can definitively say that they only range from 'ok' to 'pretty fun' for me).

And the real reason for two manufacturers I'd attribute to one of the following:
    *Available land
    *An option was submitted from each manufacturer, CF liked each, and decided to go with one of each. The same happened with the US Navy and the LCS class ship. This way, they can pick which one they'd like to make clones of later (or they can have the compact layout versus the out-and-back layout).
    *Each park had their own preference for a certain manufacturer (KD already has Volcano, Carowinds already has Vortex and Afterburn). Along the same lines, maybe CF already had some kind of contract deal with the companies, and they needed to fill their quota.

EDIT: Oooh, another obvious reason. BGW already has Apollo's Chariot, a B&M hyper.

DOUBLE POST FTW
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    I definitely agree with Xcoaster. I think two different manufacturers is better than having two clones. 305 looks to be a speed coaster, and Intimidator is definitely going to be an airtime machine.

The only crappy part is that now we have to distinguish between the two. We can't just say "Intimidator" anymore.

Although honestly, I think they should've done a different driver for one of them. Maybe theme Carowinds' coaster to Jeff Gordon and call it Rainbow Homo. :p (No, I'm not a Gordon fan.)

Edited by FullMetal, 26 August 2009 - 09:00 PM.

• Goliath123%s's Photo
    Caro's looks way better, i'm thinking extreme airtime througout. The layout is pretty awesome along the parking lot and all that. Wish i lived in America :(
  • Top Gun%s's Photo

I know it was relocated from CGA, but isn't Nighthawk a "world class roller coaster"?

BTW the mysterious project at CP finally gets a name- Whyte Lightning... at least its not another Intimidator

It's alright but Nighthawk is nothing like this.
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    Bad news... Whyte Lightning at Cedar Point will most likely be an [intamin] flume ride, based on the official hints Cedar Point has been given via facebook and twitter. This was made clear when CP announced "CP is not building an “S&S, a B&M, a Grav. Group, a Mack, or a Gerstlauer". This leaves Vekoma and Intamin. I believe GCI was shot down in another announcement but I am not positive (I hope I am wrong). I would like to see a Vekoma GIB but with their poor reliability, I simply doubt CP would build it. An Intamin coaster is still a slim possiblity but at CP, there aren't that many Intamin coasters that haven't been built there since CP already has Maverick, TTD, and MF. I am personally still holding onto the hope of an Intamin Wing Walker but this is doubtful.

Other hints that have suggested a flume ride are:
    -“Them Canfield's & McGee's will still be feudin' down river next year...” which points to the old hillbilly theme used for a defunct flume ride at CP
    -The promo site being used for the ride is a fake beverage company seen here which suggest liquid
    -The rides tag line "Ligtning strikes twyce" could possibly refer to the old White Water Landing flume ride which was torn down for Maverick

If it is a flume it better at least be a Pilgrim's Plunge-esque ride.

edit- yeah togo and GCI were also shot down with the whole "2010 Is Not ... a Togo or a GCI."
  • Lowenaldo%s's Photo
    shit, and here i was looking forward to this.
    GO FOR #18 CP!!!!!!!
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    ^^ You'd actually consider wanting a Togo? And you'd like to have a Vekoma GIB? You're weird.

I think they could actually use a well themed, family friendly water ride, not just another 70 story ramp into a pool. But if they did go for a coaster, a GCI would be good. Mean Streak is pretty bad, and Blue Streak is fun, but obviously not a big draw.

Or I suppose it could be a themed, family friendly water coaster.
  • inVersed%s's Photo

^^ You'd actually consider wanting a Togo? And you'd like to have a Vekoma GIB? You're weird.

I think they could actually use a well themed, family friendly water ride, not just another 70 story ramp into a pool. But if they did go for a coaster, a GCI would be good. Mean Streak is pretty bad, and Blue Streak is fun, but obviously not a big draw.

Or I suppose it could be a themed, family friendly water coaster.

I never said I wanted a Togo those rides are awful. haha I just said that they shot the idea down. :p

I have been on Deja Vu once back when they had it at SFOG and it was a good ride so I have no problems with them. It felt like it had added flavor to the worn out boomerang style of coaster. Plus CF would be able to get this for cheap since I assume the parts from Deja Vu are just sitting in a storage warehouse somewhere waiting to be sold off to a park. But hell this is coming from a guy who enjoys Mean Streak and Son of Beast!

As far as themed ride, I am one of those people who is willing to sacrifice aestetic value for sake of the attraction's thrill... I am like fuck the theming as long as the ride is thrilling. To me, the queue and station building are enough theming IMO
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    ^ What about an aqua trax? That seems to fill the void between coaster and water ride.
  • inVersed%s's Photo

^ What about an aqua trax? That seems to fill the void between coaster and water ride.

good guess but the official Cedar Point twitter page states, "Aquatrax??? Not in 2010..."
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    You east-coasters are lucky. An intamin giga and a B&M hyper. Knotts seems to be getting jack shit in '10...
  • Comet%s's Photo
    I can't see Knott's getting anything big anytime soon, that place is already packed
    Which is a shame because they really need a standout ride and Xcelerator is going way down hill
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    Yeah, I don't think Knotts can do much more without demolishing something to make room, finding something they can squeeze in there, or building on top of something else. I wish they could make a parking garage, as that would free up a lot of room, but I've heard that will never happen.

Basically, they've built themselves into a corner.
  • Goliath123%s's Photo

You east-coasters are lucky. An intamin giga and a B&M hyper. Knotts seems to be getting jack shit in '10...

Last coaster for me was like 2 yearsago and is 12 hours away, aw shit
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    From the CP twitter page,

09.03.09 09:10. All will be revealed

I am pretty excited about this!
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    Sweet! Do you think there's any significance in the numbers? Lot's of nines in there...

(On a totally unrelated note, is anyone else excited about 9?)
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    If there was any significance to the number nine surely it would be 09,09,09 09:09 :p

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading