General Chat / Favorite TV Shows

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

What. I don't even...

"Rx", with the x being and extension of the r, is the symbol for the word "Pharmaceutical". The show's title is often shown (at least on billboards, I haven't seen the show) as "Rxoyal Pains".
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I've been watching The Walking Dead last month. First season: fucking awesome. Second season: not as good, but still interesting. Third season: don't like the town storyline much, but the rest is fucking awesome again, really. Overall a great show.

I started on Breaking Bad last friday. I've seen two whole seasons since. I feel silly for sticking to my screen like that for two days but it was worth it. Fantastic.

Next is probably The Wire, I've heard some good stories about it. Actually in class, my urban geography teacher praised the accurate depiction of some social/geographical phenomenons. The anthropologist sitting next to me agreed. I always love accuracy and realism so The Wire has got my attention. I've got some more Breaking Bad to see first though, and I think (and hope) I won't digest the remaining seasons as fast. There's social life and papers to write as well. :p
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    Breaking Bad > Social life/grades
  • RCT2day%s's Photo
    Is walking dead really that good? I've only seen a handful of scenes and one full episode but I never could get into it. That may just be because I have no idea what is really going on as I never saw the first season or second season (except the last episode). Is the first season worth watching over Thanksgiving?
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    The Chris Gethard Show is the greatest television show in history. Lose well.
  • gir%s's Photo
    Currently...

30 Rock
    The Office
    Parks and Recreation
    Parenthood
    Game of Thrones
    Downton Abbey
    Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    Saturday Night Live

If only I had the time to get up-to-date on all of them!
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Is walking dead really that good? I've only seen a handful of scenes and one full episode but I never could get into it. That may just be because I have no idea what is really going on as I never saw the first season or second season (except the last episode). Is the first season worth watching over Thanksgiving?

It's not spectacularly good, but it is certainly good. It's a drama series with some horror elements, and not a horror series with drama elements. The drama is good, with complex characters and an unpredictable plot. I'd say especially the first season is worth watching. I'd definitely try it, yes.
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    TBH, I can hardly stand dutch television, especially the ones which are filled with the dumbest of the dumbest people we have to offer, although this isn't something typically dutch xD. Hell I barely watch TV anyway. Anyway, some shows I do like:

- Mythbusters
    - Top Gear (the later series, when they actually have budget to do cool stuff. It's fun to watcheven if you aren't into cars)
    - That 70's show
    - Futurama
    - Phineas and Ferb

When it comes to comedy shows I don't understand why some shows are supposed to be funny, but then again it depends on what kind of humor you like. That Seinfeld was voted the best comedy ever is beyond me, because all the characters annoy me and barely any of the stuff is remotely funny to me. I always get the argument that it's funny because it's about nothing. Fair enough, but there are two outcomes doing that, either it's funny or there's is nothing to be funny and to me that's the latter and yes I do get the jokes they are trying to make.
    I also don't like 30 rock, 3rd rock from the sun and It's always sunny in Philidelphia. The office and community are sometimes funny, but it won't stop me from changing the channel.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    First season of Walking Dead was some of the best television I've ever seen. The second season was pretty slow, but this new third season is turning out great. That's really the only show I follow these days, though I'll try to keep up on some Big Bang Theory. I've also been following Breaking Amish and Ink Master; they're both technically pretty terrible shows, but crazy entertaining and addictive.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    i wub degrassi soo much! <3
    or the hillss!!
  • Wanted%s's Photo

First season of Walking Dead was some of the best television I've ever seen.

Watch The Wire:
    Highest ranked TV show of all time besides Planet Earth
    Season 4 is the highest ranked season of any tv show of all time by critics behind BrBa S5, which is BS cause it's the worst season of BrBa
    Also ranked number one season of all time by the public on metacritic^

There have been upper division college courses devoted to watching The Wire and analyzing American culture/gangs/drug trade. I have shown friends whose favorite shows have been Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Oz, Walking Dead, Deadwood, Dexter, Lost, Homeland, and they all agree The Wire is just better. Start from season 1 and power through. The first two episodes are slow and the show is really complicated. It makes you use your brain while watching, and trust me, it's worth it.

Overall my list is currently:
    1. The Wire (Seasons 1-4 = favorites)
    2. Breaking Bad (Season 3 = favorite BY FAR)
    3. Firefly (Only 1 season :( )
    4. Game of Thrones (Season 1 = favorite)
    5. Dexter (Only watched season 1 & 2, both awesome)
    6. Lost (Seasons 1, 4, 5 = favorite)
    7. Scrubs (ALL seasons)
    8. Chuck (Season 3 = favorite BY FAR)
    9. How I Met Your Mother (ALL seasons)
    10. The Last Air Bender (Seasons 1 & 3 = favorite)

Favorite TV characters of all time:
    Omar Little (The Wire)
    Namond Brice (The Wire)
    D'Angelo Barksdale (The Wire)
    Jimmy McNulty (The Wire)
    Jesse Pinkman (Breaking Bad)
    Kaylee (Firefly)
    Mal Reynolds (Firefly)
    Arya Stark (Game of Thrones)
    Jon Snow (Game of Thrones)
    Bran Stark (Game of Thrones)
    Tyrion Lannister (Game of Thrones)
    Rita (Dexter)
    Doakes (Dexter)
    Dexter (Dexter)
    Juliet (Lost)
    Sawyer (Lost)
    Benjamin Linus (Lost)
    Desmond (Lost)
    Dr. Cox (Scrubs)
    JD (Scrubs)
    Elliot (Scrubs)
    Sarah (Chuck)
    Chuck (Chuck)
    Shaw (Chuck)
    Ted (How I Met Your Mother)
    Marshall (How I Met Your Mother)
    Lily (How I Met Your Mother)
    Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
    Aang (Avatar)
    Zuko (Avatar)
  • Liampie%s's Photo

There have been upper division college courses devoted to watching The Wire and analyzing American culture/gangs/drug trade.

There's even more to The Wire than American and criminal stuff; as I said they showed a fragment of The Wire in my class. It was about social displacement; and we were told there are many social processes shown in the series. I haven't seen anything other than that shor fragment yet but I have no doubts about the scientific accuracy/relevance. :)
  • Wanted%s's Photo

There's even more to The Wire than American and criminal stuff; as I said they showed a fragment of The Wire in my class. It was about social displacement; and we were told there are many social processes shown in the series. I haven't seen anything other than that shor fragment yet but I have no doubts about the scientific accuracy/relevance. :)/>

Interesting. Even more proof that The Wire is hands-down the best drama of all time :D
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    NHL Hockey (I know it's not technically a "TV show", but I'm a diehard hockey fan and watch every game that comes on, even if it's not the Capitals, who I route for. The lockout is killing me.)
    Doctor Who
    Mythbusters
    The Big Bang Theory
    The Colbert Report
    The Daily Show
    Sons of Guns

I don't watch a lot of TV.
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    ^I guess put "barcelona" and "argentina" soccer games on my list too then :p
  • Hex%s's Photo
    Breaking Bad is fantastic. Just got into it. Thank you, Netflix. <3
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

7. Scrubs (ALL seasons)

NO! Season 9 is blasphemy.
  • Milo%s's Photo
    Boardwalk Empire
  • Mattk48%s's Photo
    Can't believe no one has said burn notice yet. Best show on tv.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    Seinfeld is, hands down, the greatest comedy TV show ever made.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading