(Archive) Advertising District / Zac's/ Shotguns?'s stuff thread.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Somehow I really like this semi-arid foliage. Foliage doesn't always grow in clusters. In semi-arid environments, for example.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    And really I am going for somewhat semi arid feel, almost tropical. You can see this through the selection of trees and the style of archy.
  • trav%s's Photo
    I don't see tropical at all. Try using the jungle bushes and the light coloured ferns rather than the standard Rct2 bushes, as I really don't think they look tropical

Also try using the half grass/half mud ground texture, and sand near the beaches. It'll look much greener and more tropical.

Semi arid isn't anything like tropical though, so I don't see how you're going for a 'somewhat semi arid feel, almost tropical'.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    Tropical not as in jungle but more of arid but I do like your advice on the land tiles..
  • Ling%s's Photo
    I would say, if you want arid, do arid. If you want to do tropical/heavy jungle, do it in another area with a slightly different architectural style (and different foliage, obviously). I really don't like the windows hanging out on the roof garden's canvas thing. Colors are getting there, but keep trying different things. I think you can make the coaster's colors play well into the surroundings as an accent, so you should finalize that (along with support colors, obviously). Also, filling more of that water in for the screens will help us get a more accurate representation of what the final overall atmosphere will be like, thus helping fine-tune the details. I like the sort of pirate netting wall at the back.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    It's supposed to be 4 areas. This one with a Mediterranean slash semiarid feel, one with a Chinese tranquil forest feel, one with a typical "old south" feel, and one jungle type section.

My inspiration: type in "Gaylord opryland hotel" in google and see some of the images. I went there once and I want to recreate how I saw and experienced the hotel, with a park twist.
  • posix%s's Photo
    Stop posting so many screens. Produce a decent amount of park and then ask for comments. Right now it's like you're just dying for replies are every little step and it doesn't make you look good.
  • Dark_Horse%s's Photo

Stop posting so many screens. Produce a decent amount of park and then ask for comments. Right now it's like you're just dying for replies are every little step and it doesn't make you look good.

It's hard to comment on something you've posted 20 screens of with little difference among them. You're off to a good start, Shotguns?, but seriously show us something different.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    Remember that screen I had up on the dump place?

Attached Image: SCR118.png

Well, heres another of that park, right outside the flume.

Attached Image: SCR119.png

Its not quite done, about halfway actually.
  • Ruben%s's Photo
    It's different, but it's good. :) It's not what you usually see at NE, it's unrefined and slightly blocky, but it certainly works. It has a great atmosphere to it.

What I'd suggest is working on the paths/squares though. Right now it's óne path type, and those 4 palm trees a square make it feel very dull. Maybe experiment a bit with adding a 2nd type of paving and creating some more interesting bits of foliage on/around the squares?

Edit: Just found out why I find this so different. It's almost as if someone picked up an rct2 cd, and tried to play it as if it were LL. (All the trackitecture, use of paths as roofs etc.) Very interesting. :)
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

It's different, but it's good. :) It's not what you usually see at NE, it's unrefined and slightly blocky, but it certainly works. It has a great atmosphere to it.

What I'd suggest is working on the paths/squares though. Right now it's óne path type, and those 4 palm trees a square make it feel very dull. Maybe experiment a bit with adding a 2nd type of paving and creating some more interesting bits of foliage on/around the squares?

Looking back, the palms block the spaciousness of this area and hurt the atmosphere.

I should have finished a bit more before showing this.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    They're just very repetitive and the colors are saturated or washed out, nothing in-between. Mix up the foliage and colors some more.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    I really think you need to get rid of those birch trees and make the foliage completely tropical.

also, kudos on being called Zac. the world could always use a few more Zacs :p
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Actually I somehow love the palm trees. I wouldn't change them unless it looks better or equally good in another way. The overall composition is very nice, much better than what we see most here actually. I'm not a fan of your architecture, it has too much pointless detailing. There's no shame in making a building with only one wall texture, you know.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

I really think you need to get rid of those birch trees and make the foliage completely tropical.

also, kudos on being called Zac. the world could always use a few more Zacs :p

Any others Zac's on this site ( besides zburns)
  • posix%s's Photo
    Well, the new screen is wonderful. It's as if you inherited some of SA's blood and I would never have dreamt a player like that were to come along in two thousand fucking twelve. Keep on doing what you're doing and focus on finishing a project with this style. You need one complete iteration before you can truly move on and take lessons from your mistakes.

I think what needs more attention are your arrangements of things: how buildings and rides flow along the path. This was something you sometimes had a bit off in Atrophy too I found, for example on the one ride in the back of the park, I think it was a jeep ride sort of thing, where people had to do a huge turn before getting to the ride. In the new screen, I think the top most path corner is giving you a problem because it's too empty, because, the path layout could be more organic and less rectangular. Rectangularity is by no means bad though, but you're relying on it too strongly. Perhaps take inspiration from Natelox path layouts as they are very very flowing.
  • SoCalCoasters%s's Photo
    That log ride really grabs me for some reason...I absolutely love it! Keep building like that and you could have one heck of a park. :)
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    I've hit my 10 percent mark on this project. I plan to give updates at benchmarks in this park's creation.

Here is what I have completed. This took me about 25 years ( do not mind the date at the bottom). Hopefully you all like it, but please give complaints/critisism if you do not.

Attached Image: Northpointe- 10 percent mark..png
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    The foliage might be a bit to repetitive and spread out, but the overall look and atmosphere is fantastic. Plus I really love ancient civilizations, ruines, lost cities and stuff like that.

Amazing!
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Doing Louisiana proud, boy.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading