Theme Park Discussion / 2013 Construction Topic

• Scoop%s's Photo
    i could see that about the site
  • RCT2day%s's Photo
    Mt. Olympus has announced their newest attraction: HADES 360 coming in 2013

World’s First upside down wooden rollercoaster!
    Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park announces plans to unveil its newest addition and structural landmark as the famous underground wooden coaster Hades will transform to become the world first all wooden rollercoaster with an upside down roll coming spring 2013.
    Hades 360 will be a unique technological marvel integrating the underground uniqueness of Hades and adding a 360 degree upside down loop and a 135 degree over-banked turn. Plus Hades 360 will also be equipped with a new state of the art rollercoaster train, giving riders the feel of riding on a steel coaster. Utilizing this state-of-the-art train by Gravity Group, Hades 360 will be the world’s longest underground and have world’s only upside down roll on an all wooden rollercoaster. Hades 360 will be the first to deliver an awe-inspiring wooden coaster thrill all while in the vast world of Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park.

With its unique construction, Hades 360 will have:
    • The World’s First completely upside down roll on an all wooden coaster
    • The World’s longest underground track measuring 800 feet underground
    • A 90 degree turn underground in complete darkness
    • A 135 degree over-banked turn
    • A staggering drop of 140 feet with an amazing drop angle of 65 degrees
    • Total length of 4,725 feet
    • A 160 foot incline to the top drop
    • A blazing top speed of 70 mph

Hades 360 will be a force to be reckoned with and a unique technological marvel, taking the classic wooden support structure and technically integrating an upside down roll into the existing track. The upgrade to Hades 360 will be engineered and constructed by Gravity Group, the same group that designed the original Hades. The Hades 360 transformation will exceed far beyond any mortal’s expectations. This innovation is so new in the amusement industry, it has never been done before.

More info and pictures on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/mtolympuspark

Thoughts? Not sure how they'll get away with the "first looping wooden coaster" with Outlaw Run set to open in March. There's also the issue of how rough it will be.
  • Scoop%s's Photo
    technically outlaw run wouldn't have a true wooden inversion. the way it looks on facebook the inversion for hades was completly wooden. Besides son of beast had a steel structure for the loop.
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    F-yeah. Hopefully I get to ride that someday. I did go to Kings Island, but SOB had already been closed down by then (2010, I think) or any inverting wood coaster for that matter (technicalities of steel rails aside)
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    Hm, not sure how I feel about that. Hades is an awesome ride, but I think the loop might ruin its appeal, and it isn't the smoothest ride by any means. I think I'll take SDC this time. On another note, how do they get away with saying it's the first upside down wooden roller coaster when SOB clearly had its hay day?
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    It's like they found every record-braking loophole that exists, and smashed it together in a big pile of bullshit.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

to become the world first all wooden rollercoaster with an upside down roll coming spring 2013.

I believe they are assuming that the RMC ones will be classed a steel track with wooden supports, where Hades is wooden track with steel supports.

will also be equipped with a new state of the art rollercoaster train, giving riders the feel of riding on a steel coaster.

This is just one epic fail. The point of riding a wooden coaster is that it feels and acts like a wooden coaster. Why would they want a train on a wooden coaster to give the feel of riding a steel coaster? It defeats the point of the bloody coaster!
    I mean yeah, maybe they mean a train that will make the ride feel smoother, but aren't they then just associating all wooden coasters as being rough, and all steel coasters as being smooth, which is totally not the case.
    Either way they've just in a way said that they no longer want Hades as a wooden coaster, want a steel inverting coaster, but haven't got enough money to replace Hades with one so they'll just adapt Hades to fit lol
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    any boomerang I've been on proves louis' point to boot...
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    With the exception of ones that got the new trains: YES, and even more so for the infamous Vekoma SLC's. Those things are rougher than most wooden coasters I've been on
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I mean I even felt on Wodan that it was so unlike a wooden roller coaster.

Everyone should take a leaf out of The Ultimate's books and make a steel coaster that is more like a woodie :p
  • RCT2day%s's Photo

Either way they've just in a way said that they no longer want Hades as a wooden coaster, want a steel inverting coaster, but haven't got enough money to replace Hades with one so they'll just adapt Hades to fit lol

I think this makes a lot of sense and I agree with Louis, mostly. Mt. Olympus was a good idea at first but is just a bad park in comparison to its competition (SFGAmerica). This is their attempt to avoid bankruptcy by bringing in crowds for a fraction of the cost of a new coaster. Personally, if they can make it a smooth ride, I think it might do well. As for this thought about it being not a wooden coaster, people said the same thing about El Toro for its smooth track and prefabricated supports but no one is complaining now. Maybe its not the traditional wooden coaster but neither is Outlaw Run or Iron Rattler. And the new trains will certainly not improve the smoothness of the ride, only refurbishing track can do that significantly.

Bold prediction: it will be just as shaky and Mt. Olympus will close in the next 5 years.
  • Twitch%s's Photo

technically outlaw run wouldn't have a true wooden inversion. the way it looks on facebook the inversion for hades was completly wooden. Besides son of beast had a steel structure for the loop.

Hades' support structure is made of steel with the only wooden part being the track while Outlaw Run's support structure uses I-beams where needed. So yes, it's a true wooden inversion.
  • RCT2day%s's Photo
    Hershey has announced the deconstruction of Roller Soaker in 2013 on Facebook and already started work:

If you’re in and around Hershey, you may notice some activity near Roller Soaker, our water roller coaster. After 11 years of service, Roller Soaker will be removed to make way for additional water attractions in 2013. More to come soon!

It was a capacity nightmare with a large footprint in a prime area for expansion. I'm just happy I was able to wait the 30 minutes last summer for my first ride (it was pretty bad and not worth the time). I'm hoping for a racer slide of some type, seems like it would fit. Still, sad to see one of the last types of this unique coaster type going as parks look for efficient and thrills.

Thoughts?
  • Psi%s's Photo
    I thought it was decently fun. The water jets were pretty cool, but the capacity and reliability were very poor.

They could fit a few slides in its footprint, I think a water coaster would be neat.
  • Mr. Coaster%s's Photo
    Darn, credit missed. It seemed like such a fun ride. Though I am interested to see what they do with the plot.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Posted Image
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    jesus christmas! Hells yea
  • FredD%s's Photo
    Looks terrible, ain't gettin' a woodie feeling from this...
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Whilst I'm sure it will be a great ride, it looks incredibly ugly.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    pardon my ignorance but what is it

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading