General Chat / Another mall shootout (Oregon/Portland)

• Arjan v l%s's Photo
    My deepest sympathies for the family of the innocent victims.

Another pointless act by a nutcase.

Thank god he killed himself ,but what's the world coming to these days.

• Austin55%s's Photo
    Gun control debate in 3....2...

Sympathy to the family of all involved.
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    ^^ I don't want to start a gun control debate.

It just makes me sad to hear this AGAIN.
    The world is getting really sick.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Your not, but other people might.
    Your avatar brings happiness to the world, btw. AWWW!
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    Yeah ,cute kitty huh. :p
  • gir%s's Photo
    Scary stuff. You just never know when something like this is going to happen. Deepest condolences for the families affected by this.

I live in a neighborhood now where there is quite a bit of gun-related crime--not shootings, but armed robberies. Not going to start a debate about gun control, but there is something wrong with the system (not just the gun control system, but the entire "system" that drives people to do such things).
  • Liampie%s's Photo

It just makes me sad to hear this AGAIN.
    The world is getting really sick.

It's not a new phenomenom.
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    ^^ I know and that even makes it worse.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    No, it makes it 'better'. It means that "what's the world coming to these days" and "The world is getting really sick" don't really apply.
  • RMM%s's Photo

Gun control debate in 3....2...

guns don't kill people. people do.

debate over.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I thought it was rappers that killed people.
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo

No, it makes it 'better'. It means that "what's the world coming to these days" and "The world is getting really sick" don't really apply.

Well ,i meant that a lot of the mentally unstable are snapping nowadays, that's why i said the world is getting sick. Maybe i should've said it in a different way ,but that doesn't make much difference ,since it's quite clear what i meant.
  • Wanted%s's Photo

guns don't kill people. people do.

debate over.

Gahhhhh, I am so confused with this issue. Yeah, guns don't kill people, people do, but guns make it a million times easier. All of these lunatics over the years have killed multiple people during their violent acts, but I'm 100% sure if guns were out of the picture, 90% of these lives would have been spared. Sure, these people would have used another weapon or act of violence to kill the first person on their rampage, but where would they go from there? With a gun you can do many things: 1 - Shoot those who are running away. 2 - Hold people hostage more easily. 3 - People are more likely to stay in place with a ranged killing machine involved.
    In all of these previous multi-shootings, more people could have ran away without getting shot. Less people would have been held hostage.
    So yes, here we are yet again. Guns don't kill people, people do. But with guns, people kill MORE.
    Where do we go from here? Guns have been legal for too long to remove from the country. Millions of people own a gun or multiple guns. Guns are easy to purchase on the black market.
    Another serious mistake of the past that will never be undone...
  • Austin55%s's Photo

I thought it was rappers that killed people.

Confirmed, I have never been killed by a rapper.

I'd have to agree with Wanted. Guns are just so much a part of America that taking them out would be nearly impossible. And would cause a MASSSIVE problem in the south.
    Not to mention it's a big industry with lots of jobs, including mine. I work part time at a family bussiness, we make gun sights.
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    I am getting so sick and tired of hearing after every shooting "We need to get rid of this country's guns", "Guns lead to violence", "Get rid of the Second Amendment". If the government took away our guns, the amount of crime would be so high that this country would almost literally destroy itself. It's a proven fact that areas where a lot of people have guns have a far lower crime rate than areas that don't. I learned in my Contemporary Issues class, on the topic of gun control, there was a town in Georgia that was pretty rough, so they required every resident to own and carry a handgun in plain sight. You know what the crime rate has been since that law was passed?! ZERO!!! Not one crime in almost a decade since the law passed! People think that getting rid of guns would stop criminals from shooting people, but the fact is that THEY'RE CRIMINALS!! They won't follow the law to get guns, and it's not very difficult to get around the laws. My dad was in Virginia and someone came up to him and said "I got a shipment of AK-47s coming in soon, interested?" Of course he said no, but it shows that it really isn't that hard. Now, my family doesn't have a gun because we don't live in a very bad area. But I would still feel a lot safer and more secure if we had a gun in the house because my dog is too friendly to protect us if we have a break-in.
  • Wanted%s's Photo

I am getting so sick and tired of hearing after every shooting "We need to get rid of this country's guns", "Guns lead to violence", "Get rid of the Second Amendment". If the government took away our guns, the amount of crime would be so high that this country would almost literally destroy itself. It's a proven fact that areas where a lot of people have guns have a far lower crime rate than areas that don't. I learned in my Contemporary Issues class, on the topic of gun control, there was a town in Georgia that was pretty rough, so they required every resident to own and carry a handgun in plain sight. You know what the crime rate has been since that law was passed?! ZERO!!! Not one crime in almost a decade since the law passed! People think that getting rid of guns would stop criminals from shooting people, but the fact is that THEY'RE CRIMINALS!! They won't follow the law to get guns, and it's not very difficult to get around the laws. My dad was in Virginia and someone came up to him and said "I got a shipment of AK-47s coming in soon, interested?" Of course he said no, but it shows that it really isn't that hard. Now, my family doesn't have a gun because we don't live in a very bad area. But I would still feel a lot safer and more secure if we had a gun in the house because my dog is too friendly to protect us if we have a break-in.

I'd like to see that little experiment of everyone holding their guns out in the open in an area like Compton, Detroit, Brooklyn, Oakland...you get the point. Oh wait, everyone there does have guns out in the open. Doesn't work.

I do think guns need to go, I just don't think it's possible at this point. It's too 'out there'. So what do we do from here? I just don't know...
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    the entire gun control debate is utterly retarded. no one can win.
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    The shootout wouldn't have happened at all if there had been an open carry law like there already is in several towns. If the people in the Colorado movie theater all had guns, I guarantee it would have been 1000% less severe, someone could have stopped him before he shot anybody. Any American who thinks the government should take our guns should move to Europe, it's an un-American view. If they take our guns, they take away our right to defend ourselves and, for a lot of people, their means of survival. There's quite a few kids in my school who ONLY get their food by hunting, imagine if they got their hunting tools.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

There's quite a few kids in my school who ONLY get their food by hunting,

So without guns they'd die of starvation? Guns are more useful than a proper social safety net?
  • gir%s's Photo
    I've got no problem with pistols for self-defense or hunting rifles. Assault rifles on the other hand, are high volume and high power human killing machines.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading