General Chat / Another mall shootout (Oregon/Portland)

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    most murders by gun are not premeditated and occur when the the assailant is threatened by violence.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    1. my username

2. i have 40+ guns

3. my opinions are obivous

4. i agree with arjan, lets not start a new heated arguement.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    removed
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Can we not? This site is barely tolerable these days as-is, without gun control debates.
  • Psi%s's Photo
    I will never understand gun control debates. Nobody ever makes any original points, and besides, it's such a dynamic issue to make it seem black and white.

edit:know hwat, never mind.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    i will never understand people who avoid discussions. just because you don't want to know about what people think doesn't mean others agree with you.

the fact that it's a dynamic issue is precisely why i'm interested in discussing it. the point of a debate isn't to make enemies, it's to learn.
  • Wanted%s's Photo

i will never understand people who avoid discussions. just because you don't want to know about what people think doesn't mean others agree with you.

the fact that it's a dynamic issue is precisely why i'm interested in discussing it. the point of a debate isn't to make enemies, it's to learn.

I recently discussed this in my most recent public speaking/philosophy class. One of the BEST ways for people to LEARN is to listen or participate in the MOST controversial discussions. Dynamic issues are the best issues to discuss because they are usually the most controversial. Who wants to discuss something that everyone agrees upon? Nobody learns from that.
  • Austin55%s's Photo

I recently discussed this in my most recent public speaking/philosophy class. One of the BEST ways for people to LEARN is to listen or participate in the MOST controversial discussions. Dynamic issues are the best issues to discuss because they are usually the most controversial. Who wants to discuss something that everyone agrees upon? Nobody learns from that.

Such a huge +1 to you sir, I loved that.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

I am getting so sick and tired of hearing after every shooting "We need to get rid of this country's guns", "Guns lead to violence", "Get rid of the Second Amendment".

I hear that you're frustrated. It can be difficult sometimes when evidence contradicts your preconceived notions. Change is not an easy thing.

If the government took away our guns, the amount of crime would be so high that this country would almost literally destroy itself.

Citation needed.

It's a proven fact that areas where a lot of people have guns have a far lower crime rate than areas that don't.

Citation needed.

I learned in my Contemporary Issues class, on the topic of gun control, there was a town in Georgia that was pretty rough, so they required every resident to own and carry a handgun in plain sight. You know what the crime rate has been since that law was passed?! ZERO!!! Not one crime in almost a decade since the law passed!

Citation needed.

People think that getting rid of guns would stop criminals from shooting people, but the fact is that THEY'RE CRIMINALS!! They won't follow the law to get guns, and it's not very difficult to get around the laws.

Citation needed.

My dad was in Virginia and someone came up to him and said "I got a shipment of AK-47s coming in soon, interested?" Of course he said no, but it shows that it really isn't that hard.

Citation needed.

Now, my family doesn't have a gun because we don't live in a very bad area. But I would still feel a lot safer and more secure if we had a gun in the house because my dog is too friendly to protect us if we have a break-in.

You've yet to have a break in, and have no reason to suspect that you will, but you feel unsafe. You're right. A gun is exactly the right cure for that.

Anyway. Sucks that people got shot. My opinion is that I don't need a gun. I don't need one now, and I don't need one when I'm getting robbed.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Regarding the Georgia town.

http://mobile.reuter...070418?irpc=932
  • RMM%s's Photo

My opinion is that I don't need a gun. I don't need one now, and I don't need one when I'm getting robbed.

you're in your bedroom and you hear somebody breaking in. they're about to open the door to the room you are hiding in... and you wouldn't prefer to have a gun? it's either shoot or get shot. this example is black and white.

Wanted, you answered your own argument. guns are here and they're not going away. if a law were to go in place, a good amount of people would give up their guns... ultimately giving criminals a leg up.
  • wheres_walto%s's Photo
    Didn't we already have this discussion after the Colorado shooting? Talk about something else, like why John Boehner is being portrayed in the media as having as much leverage in fiscal cliff negotiations as President Obama. Can someone explain that to me? Or perhaps we can just talk about cats. Oh look, here's one now.

Posted Image
  • RMM%s's Photo
    that cat is begging to be shot in the mouth.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    ^ i agree.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

you're in your bedroom and you hear somebody breaking in. they're about to open the door to the room you are hiding in... and you wouldn't prefer to have a gun? it's either shoot or get shot. this example is black and white.

because we all know everyone who owns a gun uses it to murder people. it's literally impossible a criminal might not want to be a murderer, because he has a gun. it's not like he has the gun in case i do, or anything.
  • RMM%s's Photo

When I was growing up, they would say you could become cops or criminals. But what I'm saying is this. When you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference?

• Arjan v l%s's Photo
    shotguns is right ,let's keep it civil.
    I only wanted to share my grief and frustration about these happenings in the world society nowadays.

And RMM ,you're bad. :p

Would you honestly shoot such a nice angry looking kitty...awww.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Wanted, you answered your own argument. guns are here and they're not going away. if a law were to go in place, a good amount of people would give up their guns... ultimately giving criminals a leg up.

I don't carry a gun because I wouldn't be able to live with the consequences of shooting someone. Other than that, my reasons are all some versions of overly optimistic philosophical idealisms that are probably bullshit, because you're right--in a flight or fight situation, all that is out the window. So, in that situation, I'd prefer not to end up like that Zimmerman dude, who probably never intended to kill Trayvon Martin, but got jumpy, reached for his gun, and is now the media's new Big Bad.

And for your specific example, besides what I do at my work, there's nobody that would want to kill me, and I own nothing worth fighting over. Take it if you want it, but they're all things I'd gladly give if you needed it more. Also for your specific example, why do you assume the noise in the other room is a robber? It couldn't possibly be anyone or anything else? Go ahead and shoot first, the law is on your side. Just as long as you can live with killing your landlord or your mom coming to check up on you because you didn't answer your phone.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    I agree as well, RMM. I hate that cat.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    And grumpy cat hates you, guys.

"MFG"

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading