Theme Park Discussion / Alton Towers 2013

• garfield3gs%s's Photo

Garfield3gs, where did you work in Towers? Thirteen wasn't that much of a let down. If you went into it with an open or expected it to be a jumped up family coaster you can be pleasantly surprised. It's great. If you don't want spoilers don't look at topics, simple. I also can't imagine the name turning out to be The Smiler although after Thirteen and Rita I wouldn't be surprised :p/>

i worked with the forbidden vally team as a ride host for a season pretty good experiance was a good few years ago. i know it wasnt a huge let down but it was abit... still a half decent coaster. to be honest thirteen wasnt spoiled by topics but by what then was GMTV! what would you like it to be named in your eyes?

cheers for the reply
  • Liampie%s's Photo

not this washing machine element everyone seems so hell bent on.

Never heard of this element, what is it?
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Apparently the ride is meant to feature an element where the train goes onto a piece of track, is locked into place and then the track completes barrel rolls turning the train upside down before sending the train on it's journey.

Thus resulting in more than 10 inversions, breaking the current record, and at the same time having the capability to constantly break the record by simply adjusting the amount of spins this piece of track does.

This is meant to be the hidden element, although where they've put the cover on the photo seems impossible to place this element there as the track obviously banks, suggesting a simple heartline.

Now firstly, if you ask me, that is not breaking the record. If this element counts as an inversion, then I don't see why Eejanaika (however you spell it) isn't recognised as having more inversions than Colossus. (I believe it holds a seperate record to do with the amount of times a rider inverts on a coaster but not the amount of times the track inverts, or something like that).

And secondly, it's all speculation due to a combination of Towers claiming at the start that this would be a 'World's Beeating' (not, may I add, a World Record Breaker) and all this spinny logo schizz. I don't believe that Towers are planning on breaking the world record, because I don't think they'd want to ruin their sister park's claim to fame/marketing strategy.

Thirdly, if this element is true then what a load of bollocks.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    https://www.youtube....yCdlVvA&index=1

Can't work out how to embed to the site, but shows how good marketing can be, and shows how good UK parks are at marketing (well Merlin parks)
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    garfield3gs, did you read about that they were going on GMTV. Shouldn't of watched or you should of turned over :p Don't mind what the name is as long as it hasn't got "The" at the start. The Swarm? Fucking awful name. Just Swarm would of been fine :p

And that video is great as I pointed out to you. How they got permission to put it on Big Ben I don't know or should I say how much they had to pay for it?
  • garfield3gs%s's Photo

garfield3gs, did you read about that they were going on GMTV. Shouldn't of watched or you should of turned over :p/> Don't mind what the name is as long as it hasn't got "The" at the start. The Swarm? Fucking awful name. Just Swarm would of been fine :p/>

i know my bad! totaly forgot they where going to show it on there and BOOM! there it was :( lol. and i agree it does look abit pants with "the" at the begining lol just seen on the towers twitter that they have leaked a image with what looks like "The Inoculator" on it ?? maybe the name ?

just on a side note looks like tehy are going to struggle loads to get this coaster up and running for opening with all this mental snow we are having ! i bet the site is getting battered due to the snow !
  • garfield3gs%s's Photo
    Posted Image

sorry for double post !

SW7 construction picture

EDIT - Comfirmed Named "The Smiler"

http://www.altontowers.com/thesmiler/

although it does not go anywhere yet it flashes up with the logo
  • Disney Imagineer%s's Photo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0doiBMadquc&list=UUWr05Cjj6w-EmLVdyCdlVvA&index=1

Can't work out how to embed to the site, but shows how good marketing can be, and shows how good UK parks are at marketing (well Merlin parks)

This is awesome. Love it!
    Sheep in the area have been marked by The Smiler. This is some seriously cool advertising.

Posted Image

Article
  • Mattk48%s's Photo
    imagine waking up in the middle of the night and seeing that smiler on your wall. that would scare the hell out of me
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^^That happened ages ago lol

So it's name has officially been released as 'The Smiler'

Hideous if you ask me. Also it's gone from being 'World Beating' to 'Worlds First'. No one really knows if this is significant or not.
    Oh, lol. Didn't know that - just saw it on Screamscape's latest update. I like the name. Its different.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^It's no problem lol I don't think many here have seen the picture lol
    So is this coaster going to be enclosed (particularly speaking of the giant cluster loop)? Do we know?
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Only very little is enclosed. I'd say about 90% of the ride is outside.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    Finally footers and trenches for the rest of the site have been partially completed instead of just one area.

Posted Image

I think it will look shit going over the old toilet block at the top of X-Sector, always have.

Posted Image

From TTF.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    I love the interlocking elements there. Beautifully designed.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

Apparently the ride is meant to feature an element where the train goes onto a piece of track, is locked into place and then the track completes barrel rolls turning the train upside down before sending the train on it's journey.

Thus resulting in more than 10 inversions, breaking the current record, and at the same time having the capability to constantly break the record by simply adjusting the amount of spins this piece of track does.

This is meant to be the hidden element, although where they've put the cover on the photo seems impossible to place this element there as the track obviously banks, suggesting a simple heartline.

Now firstly, if you ask me, that is not breaking the record. If this element counts as an inversion, then I don't see why Eejanaika (however you spell it) isn't recognised as having more inversions than Colossus. (I believe it holds a seperate record to do with the amount of times a rider inverts on a coaster but not the amount of times the track inverts, or something like that).

And secondly, it's all speculation due to a combination of Towers claiming at the start that this would be a 'World's Beeating' (not, may I add, a World Record Breaker) and all this spinny logo schizz. I don't believe that Towers are planning on breaking the world record, because I don't think they'd want to ruin their sister park's claim to fame/marketing strategy.

Thirdly, if this element is true then what a load of bollocks.

That hidden element sounds amazing too. As for your Eejanaika example, that record is different because this coaster's track actually inverts. It sounds like smiley here will be breaking the record and doing it in an innovative way. I like it.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I still stand by my statement of it not breaking the record.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    New inversion record holder anyone?

The plans have definitely changed. The plans were more of a good will gesture for the surrounding area to be shown what will roughly be there, the only thing that really needed the permission was the station. There's a definite roll after the station. And now 2 inversions coming off of both lift hills. I'd also say that the banked S-bends after the batwing and at the end after the cobra rolls will be corkscrews pushing the inversion number up to 13. I remember rumors of this coaster having 14 inversions at the start, what's the chance of another inversion coming to light?

Posted Image

Posted Image
    TowersStreet

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
    TowersTimes

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading