Theme Park Discussion / Alton Towers 2013

• Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Posted Image
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    It looks incredible in person, so sexy, but urgh no doubt the ride will be a bitch
  • wildroller%s's Photo

yet to see it in the person, only on pictures... how does it compare to the pictures if you don't mind me asking ? and also how is the park generally ? ready for the big summer season it is going to have?

you going to try your hand at recreating the smiler on rct2 when you have rode it ?

Pretty sure we would need a large corkscrew to make any decent looking recreation of this.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    Posted Image

We'll be there even when it has a lot of teething problems and even does a Saw opening day fail.
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    Looks awesome... but this isn't re-creatable in rct, i guess.
  • JJ%s's Photo
    2014 hopefully :mantis:
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    Looks 150% awesome. I'm hopeful that the restraints won't negatively impact the ride too much. Eurofighters tend to be pretty hit-or-miss in the roughness department (where you sit also seems to matter a lot, unfortunately), and that will really make-or-break the ride. Luckily Takabisha looks like the closest design to this one, and it's fairly smooth. Others like Huracan, Untamed, and Saw (to a lesser extent) have their inexplicable rough patches.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^Saw is one big rough patch :p
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    We'll be there opening day, 23rd May, if anyone wants to join us.
  • Loopy%s's Photo
    A rear facing POV of the outdoor part of the ride:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SmD2xvb3Ji0
  • tyandor%s's Photo

A rear facing POV of the outdoor part of the ride:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SmD2xvb3Ji0

That looks insane at some parts. However I did notice several heavy side-way shocks especially on the second part of the ride. Hope it won't be too much of a headbanger.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    From the looks of it, there are some pretty nice-looking pads for the head/neck. Headbanging shouldn't be a problem.
  • scarywaffles%s's Photo
    do you all think that the first ever element shown in many videos where the train is halted and rotated several times is reliable?
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Oliver and Louis were right. This thing might hurt a bit.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Around 3:07 she takes a beating. Does look like an insane ride though, I guess I'm a minority in the coaster world liking inversions more than airtime, and this looks to be great, two really good pops of it though, one in each half.

Why we're there no beyond vertical drops? Never been on a Eurofighter but those drops look awesome, plus they coulda tried to claim more inversions lol. Crazy ride. Can't wait to see a real POV.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    Oblivion's next door with a vertical drop. If they were to put a beyond vertical drop on Smiler than it would make Oblivion redundant, like they were ever going to do that.

The train haulted and rotated? That's been rubbished for months now. It was all rumours. The layout does have a roll inside though before the lift.

The sign at the entrance (yellow box like doorway seen in the videos) to Smiler's area looks fucking awful.

Without looking at the video, is that the short outdoor video or the full one? But yea it looks like we were expecting, rough in places. The indoor roll will be smooth and great like Saw's I reckon.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

From the looks of it, there are some pretty nice-looking pads for the head/neck. Headbanging shouldn't be a problem.

Nice looking pads are non existent. Trust me, those pads are solid plastic, they hurt a hell of a lot.

do you all think that the first ever element shown in many videos where the train is halted and rotated several times is reliable?

No it doesn't feature on the ride, the only thing that happens inside is the heart line roll.

Oliver and Louis were right. This thing might hurt a bit.

THANKYOU! Glad someone finally agrees that this will indeed be rough as hell

, plus they coulda tried to claim more inversions lol. Crazy ride. Can't wait to see a real POV.

Claim more inversions??? 14 not enough for you then? :p
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    Damn forget to say about the restraints. Those standard Gerts restraints have never had padding like Lew said.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    Testing video! Again :p

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Looks really slow through the batwing and the following corkscrew. Also the second half of the sea serpent. The batwing nearly valleys. New cars/wheels so its going to run extremely slow? Moreover I'm not sure how the testing process goes exactly because normally things like that aren't on public display but I'm wondering if at some point in testing they might run a coaster as slow as they can to see what variables (trims etc) would cause it to valley? Stab in the dark but I can't help but think that's incredibly slow.
  • Loopy%s's Photo
    I would assume they're either breaking in a new train, running it with soft wheels or calibrating trim brakes as you mentioned. It hauled ass in every other video I've seen of the ride so it must be testing to near failure.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading