News / Welcome to New Element v5.0

• Angroc%s's Photo

It is very hard to design something around a variable size screenshot uploading, this is why it is the way it is and you click to see the full size. I'm sure I could find a way to add a quick-fullsize view on the index pages for screenshots.

Why don't you just take the field with parkmakers name and stats down next to the commentsfield (which right now is unused space)? This opens up enough space for pictures 744px or so large. Then, when people learn that format, they could start making sure the compositions is only that large. 

I noticed most screens I've seen so far have been in the ballpark of that pixel count. Extra large pictures would still have to be clicked a second time, though.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

How are the forums sorted?
    It seems like the topics with the newest posts aren't on top of the page?

"MFG"

They are sorted like normal. Pinned topics are at the top and then the topics are sorted by most recent post like usual. The pinned topics aren't highlighted ATM though, so I do understand how it can be confusing.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    I thought I had pinned topics identified somehow, going to have to change that.
  • Levis%s's Photo

indeed gee I think they should be marked. Also when (for example) you click a tag it shows where its used in parks/projects/screens etc. I think you made a mistake with the colors there. The page where you are on is listed blue and the other ones are gray. thats kind of weird because normally blue means you can click on it in the color scheme you have.

• 5dave%s's Photo

I think it shouldn't be possible to rate your own screens/project/parks.

Also what I noticed: I voted on Escher island already, but it's still in my jobs list... Maybe it's because I voted on it while strolling through the database instead of klicking on the job itself. Could that be?

Also is it really necessary to vote for the parks when you're a panelist? IMO one vote should be enough. Or does it make sense to the others?

Hope those bug reports help a bit ;)

"MFG"

• Liampie%s's Photo

I have the same problem with Escher Island 5Dave. A problem with concept creations perhaps?

• Louis!%s's Photo

Concept creations can't be voted on. It's to do with the fact that the site no longer uses them as acolades, so the voting isn't built in for that.

So yeah, please ignore all voting on concept creations.

• Levis%s's Photo

I would also like it if you can add tags to other parks.

• Louis!%s's Photo

^You can, if you wish to be a tag manager.

Tag Managers are able to add tags to anything they like, not just their own work. We've done this so that we can monitor who can and who can't add tags. It just helps us to moderate the tags a bit.

• Levis%s's Photo

sure louis sign me up for that ;).

• Arjan v l%s's Photo

OMG!

I just wanted to mention, those high quality park screenshots are amazing!

I'm starting to like NE 5 more and more.

It's getting used to, but it's amazingly improved.

Respect Geewhzz!

Btw. Do we still have data limits?

I've got a lot of c.s. coming... A lot!

• RCT2day%s's Photo

Gee, this is all incredible.  Thanks for doing this and thanks to everyone involved in keeping the game alive.

No idea if I should be asking this (feel free to edit it out or delete), but I can't post screens.  It comes up with something that the website wants me to download then, when I do, I still can't upload anything.  I'm still figuring my way around the site, but am I missing something?

• Liampie%s's Photo

1) Screenshots --> Add Screenshot

2) Add screen title, game version and attach your screen (bottom field)

3) 'Add screenshot'

4) Done.

• RCT2day%s's Photo

I've tried that, but when I click "Add screenshot", it comes up with a message saying "do you want to open or save index.json from nedesigns.com?" 

• geewhzz%s's Photo
    what browser are you using?
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

][ntamin22,

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion here. You're talking about a very small minority who have gone out of their way to advertise in a unique way. I think it is a very bad idea to spend a lot of time designing complex system for the minority. I had nothing to do with the dump-place, it took off on its own, it was in demand. I took that concept and expanded it and made it a much better platform than it was. You cannot argue that point, it's a fact.

As for screen gallery giving little room for content, let me say the proof is in the pudding. The screenshots speak for themselves, what more do you need than a title for the screen and a brief description? How often did people really post gifs or videos? The dump place was what was popular and I'd argue that the dump place attracted a lot LESSER quality screenshots than this new site has screen already because I think this platform that we are on now encourages people to have a finished well presented screenshot to upload because it is a nicer context to display it on than the dump place.

As for other media associated with the project, I can add an attachment feature and all files attached to the project could be display in a nice way, that is something I could do. Nobody said this is 100% final and not expandable. This is just what I came up with after spending a few years trying to figure out the best direction for everything to go in.

I will never understand everyones complain about there not being a link that says "Forums" It's the homepage! just click on the logo at the top or the bottom to go to it, it's that simple!

This has been here since the site launched btw:

It is very hard to design something around a variable size screenshot uploading, this is why it is the way it is and you click to see the full size. I'm sure I could find a way to add a quick-fullsize view on the index pages for screenshots.

We announced in the original post that there is a tag managers group who will have access to managing and adding tags. Things have been going very well with the tags since the site launched in my opinion.

Group forums never seemed to be used, I never understood why they were necessary every since the re-map of the PM system in NE4 where members could add anyone to a conversation.

You can upload unfinished stuff to the screenshots page, it's up to you what you upload, there aren't any strict rules about this or anything. But like I said, since everything is saved and attached to a member's account, it does encourage users to have well presented content before they add something, which is a good thing I think, not a bad thing.

Like in the original post here, the Accolade Panel will be giving a score to all the previous accolade winners with no score. This score will be used in parkmaker determination if applicable.

Cocoa, the projects page itself is a fine place for a member to update the status. Why can't he just reply to the project itself in a comment to notify everyone what he just did, or what percentage it is?

I'll look into making the new content function better so it will show a bit more information like you're saying.

chorkiel, I don't think there is a big problem with the accolades the way they are. People didn't miss Starpointe or anything and it got plenty of exposure. I actually thought it was cool how Starpointe came out and people buzzed about it, then when it finally got awarded an accolade there was more buzz about the score it got and accolade it won, almost like there was twice the buzz than it just coming out with an award and that is it. the banners are gone, yes, but that's not to say that they can't return in the future, as I have an idea I'd like to try out in regards to them.

The idea here isn't to build for a minority of advertisers, but rather to make sure there's some accommodation for creative advertising.  Adding a way to attach GIFs or present videos inline would be fantastic and would probably serve what I'm thinking of, and I'm not criticizing the infrastructure you've built so much as considering the limits it could potentially set.  I'm expressing cautious concern, not disdain, and if you're worried about feature creep - losing some of the streamlined focus on screens - that is also a valid concern.

A forum link is one of those goofball things I always like to have and I'm not entirely sure why.  I think the issue here is that a forum landing page shows the list of topics for each subheading and the homepage sidebar just shows "New" or "Not new."  Following topics I care about gets around that partially.

"Full-size" is a bit of a misnomer.  When I see "click for full-size" I think "I'm going to see the same image with the same crop but bigger."  What we're actually talking about is "click for uncropped image," which isn't completely clear even if there is a "click for full size".  Sorry for mixing up terms there.  I would prefer to see a system like the forums had previously, where an image is scaled to fit and a warning is displayed over the image if it was in fact scaled, i.e. "this image is displayed at 75% scale, click for full image."  I can totally understand if that's a difficult thing to swing though.

My question about tagging is essentially how things will work if there's a dispute; is there a policy in place for what happens if two tag managers disagree on something.  Not a pressing thing but maybe good to have it laid out somewhere.

Cool, no issue with group forums being gone.  That just means someone has to take the initiative and re-make active projects via PM chain

Finished screens being dominant again is a change in the meta of the site.  Not one I disagree with entirely, but as we always have we're going to bump into the issue of whether we're commenting and rating on what's already there or what could be there.  That's something for the community at large to figure out though.

I wasn't clear enough here again; I was suggesting that instead of having the panel go back and re-rate all of the pre-panel stuff we take the score or accolade ranking it got as the starting point going forward.  I.e. Megapark X got a super runner up, so we give it the score for gold to begin (as if it had 20 votes at that score) with and let anyone who wants to rate work from there.  Saves a lot of panel work for *cough* all the new exciting projects that will be inspired by the community revamp. *cough cough get to work you guys*

• RCT2day%s's Photo

what browser are you using?

Internet Explorer (it's the only thing my old computer has).  I'll try Chrome.

• geewhzz%s's Photo
    What version of internet explorer
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo

Just a small thing, not sure its easily possible. Right now you can only go to different pages of a topic at the bottom of the page, not at the top anymore. Not a major issue, but NE4 used to remember what page of a topic you last visited. Something simple like that "page 1, 2, ...5" thing at the top would be helpful....just an idea, ignore me as desired!

• Brent%s's Photo

Where the hell am I?

Is there an advertising district? So confusing up front lol