RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• Stoksy%s's Photo

Probably too late for offering an NCSO park for you spacek; but feel free to use something from Leafy Lake: https://www.nedesign...697/leafy-lake/

Ideally I'll have Alpengeist and/or SCBB [Bumbly Beach] ready for whenever the next title sequence comes around.

• spacek531%s's Photo

It's a little late, yeah - I submitted the final title sequence about 40 minutes ago. Your Dynamite Dunes does make a reprisal though, what I call "the B-side" which shows off parts of the park that it didn't in the previous sequence.

It would be very nice to have more community parks (i.e. not made by me) in each official sequence.

The 0.0.5 sequence had 5 of 7 parks made by four community members while this sequence has 5 of 10 parks made by three community members, with one person authoring three parks. I think the truncated schedule (only one week!) for developing this title sequence contributed to the relatively fewer community parks in this sequence.

• Maverix%s's Photo

Ok so I'm sure there's a way to do this but I can't figure it out.

I just need to be able to own the land the park entrance and map edge connecting pathway are on so I can build some scenery on them, but owning all land in the cheats menu doesn't seem to work, and in fact just adds a fence around the map edge path.  I've tried the tile inspector but that doesn't seem to work either.  

Anybody know a solution to this in Open?  I know in classic you could invert land ownership but that isn't an option here as far as I can tell.

Here's a pic to show what I mean.

Attached Image: Park Edge Hack Question.png

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Two options:

• Enable sandbox mode, then open the minimap and make those tiles owned. Unlike the "own all land cheat", this does not seem to leave any park fences behind
    • Use the "own all land" cheat, then open the tile inspector and select all path elements that still have fences on them. You can then click "remove park fences" to remove them
  • SSSammy%s's Photo

the track type selection function needs to be a drop down menu. who's idea was it to have to keep clicking til you find it. its 1000000x worse than a drop down

• janisozaur%s's Photo
    I assume you mean ride type. It was mine idea, I implemented this feature after having to put up with whining from ones like you who contribute nothing and demand everything without showing a hint of gratitude.

I dare you to implement 1000000x better solution or STFU.
  • Maverix%s's Photo

Two options:

• Enable sandbox mode, then open the minimap and make those tiles owned. Unlike the "own all land cheat", this does not seem to leave any park fences behind
    • Use the "own all land" cheat, then open the tile inspector and select all path elements that still have fences on them. You can then click "remove park fences" to remove them

First thing did the trick.  Thank you! 

• nicman%s's Photo

I do agree that a drop down menu would be preferable. I might take a look at it later.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

the track type selection function needs to be a drop down menu. who's idea was it to have to keep clicking til you find it. its 1000000x worse than a drop down

Why are you acting so rude against us? Normally I would have called janisozaur out on his reaction, but I'm not going to do it now.

You don't even take the effort to ask us why it isn't a dropdown. It isn't one because dropdowns can only handle 64 items, and also have a high chance of running offscreen due to their size. That's why janisozaur opted for a spinner.

OpenRCT2 is open source. You can try to do something about it. If you do so, you will immediately notice it's not as easy as you seem to think it is. If you can't: no worries! Not everyone can program or contribute. But don't act like this to us: we use our spare time to develop this game and do so for free. I wouldn't like this attitude if you were a customer and I was paid for it, so in this situation it is even more inappropriate. Is it too much to ask to treat us in a normal way?

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Dropdowns are limited to 64 items. There are 246 ride types in use (255 in total). It is awkward but if it were a dropdown, some ride types would not be shown in the list.

However there is an alternative - you can set ride types much more quickly using the console. Just type "rides set" followed by the index of the ride you want to change and then the track type you want to set it to. Unfortunately you still have to activate the cheat to use this command (it wasn't this way originally - I don't know why it was changed)

• Liampie%s's Photo

There is another alternative, one I use. When you click a ride, the dropdown menu in that ride menu will show it's track type. Click another ride, and every ride window open at that time will show that ride's track type. Every window always shows the last clicked one. You can use this as an easy shortcut to whatever you need. It can also be useful to keep a crooked house ride nearby you can click on.

• nicman%s's Photo

I am hoping to figure out how to make the arrows "hold-able" so you dont need to keep clicking. Since a drop-down menu is not an option.

• SSSammy%s's Photo

sorry i was obviously having a frustrating time with it. no offence was meant and i'm sorry that you were upset by my wording. it goes without saying that i appreciate the work you do, and have made it no secret that i think open rct is the best thing that has happened to the community potentially ever.

to reiterate, no offence meant, and its my fault for not making that clear. i hope you can accept my apology

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Personally I use Liam's trick when I want to switch something. I'm guessing that making a drop-down menu with a scrolling bar doesn't work as an option?

On another note, what the developers of OpenRCT are doing is fantastic, I gave you guys an extra expression of appreciation in the release of my Mario Kart Park, it would have been impossible to build that without Open. Keep up the great work guys!

EDIT: I was going to say, I don't know SSSammy very well, but I'm sure he didn't intend to be rude... but then he posted his apology just before me. :)

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I am hoping to figure out how to make the arrows "hold-able" so you dont need to keep clicking. Since a drop-down menu is not an option.

You can definitely do that. I remember setting that up when I changed the train length selection to a spinner. Unfortunately, I can't recall the details - I think it's a flag you have to set somewhere? The code to do it is definitely there - you'll notice the spinners that were present in vanilla (lift hill chain speed, for example) all have this behaviour.

• nicman%s's Photo

You can definitely do that. I remember setting that up when I changed the train length selection to a spinner. Unfortunately, I can't recall the details - I think it's a flag you have to set somewhere? The code to do it is definitely there - you'll notice the spinners that were present in vanilla (lift hill chain speed, for example) all have this behaviour.

https://github.com/O...3d400e00caa5ea4

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

Regarding the issue: we opted for a spinner because a dropdown can only handle 64 items and also can render offscreen. Of course, neither situation is ideal and that's why we created a ticket ( https://github.com/O...CT2/issues/2889 ) to address it.

My proposed to solution is to use something like the track designs list.

In the meantime, enabling holding down the buttons will somewhat alleviate the issue.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

It's finally happening!
    - I raised the limit of dropdowns to 128 items
    - A long-term contributor made dropdowns wrap around in multiple colums if they contain more than 32 items
    - The same contributor also turned the spinner into a spinner/dropdown combo:

NRYtQZx.png

Coming soon to a build near you!

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Well played guys! That'll be a great addition to Open! :)

• Stoksy%s's Photo

Thank you!!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading