Related Games / RCT3...The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

• Toon%s's Photo
    I thought that we should have a topic for discussing the game. From my first few plays, I can see there are lots of bugs. But worse, there seem to be many gameplay issues. I have just been playing with scenarios so far to judge the game from a park management perspective rather than a park builder's one and have found these few issues already.

-Guests seem to wander of paths and get stuck under coasters. Not sure how they get there actually, but I've had groups of people stuck right by the track staring at the coaster for eternity if I don't return 'em to the path. Maybe its supposed to be part of the game?

-The park rating and guest # icons on the top bar should link to the graphs for these features. As of now they don't.

-There is no mass peep thought box, but rumour has it that a patch will fix this.

-You can leave a scenario without the game asking if you want to save with the click of one button. No warning and oops...everything you've done is gone.

-Not so much park management, but the fences not being allowed on paths is a ridiculous restriction. Already driving me nuts.

Those are just some quick problems after an hour or so of play. I don't even want to imagine what I'll find when I start playing with park building features.
  • Disney Freak%s's Photo
    I think if we all complain at the Atari boards about the path restriction it will be fixed with a patch. Give it a go. I will too. :yup:
  • Meretrix%s's Photo
    Not sure who else may be having this problem, and maybe it's my computer, but the sound (music files) are really dodgy...starting and stopping whenever the hell they feel like it. The in game sounds are consistent, but the music files..no. Sometimes they will overlap, and if I return to the main menu, I'll get the main screen music mixed in with whatever was playing in the park I was working on. It sounds dreadful.

The no paths on fences MUST be fixed with a patch, or a trainer. For Christs sake, you can stack diagonal walls on the same tile in an "X" shape (something you couldn't do in RCT2), but you can't put a fucking fence on a path? Stupidity at it's best!!!

Soemtimes during CoasterCam experiences, if I make the camera face a certain direction, particularly one with a lot of scenery, the screen flips out and goes grey, except for the track I am riding. That might be my graphics card (NVidia Quadro fx500). If so, I'll upgrade. If not, then we have a problem. Some of the coasters are actually HARD to construct. How exactly DO you build a tilt coaster. The game will physically NOT let me build the tilt platform part. I have to, at present, build the pre-fab one, and then edit that.

The sounds on the water rides are just silly. Last time I checked, log rides do not sound like floorless coasters.

And speaking of the floorless coasters. Why in the hell can you only put 5 cars on a train? The strategy guide says 7, maybe you have to beat scenarios for this to be the case. It seems like the publishers dangled the sandbox carrot, and then snatched it away at the 11th hour.

On to sandbox mode. The scenario editor is nice. However, if you reset the park size AND edit your terrain in the editor, you cannot paint or shape the land outside of the default settings once you convert the scenario to a game. Even in sandbox mode.

Some of the animatronic stuff is really cool (the big Demon thing...would look great in a Bald Mountain ride). The waving trees gets a little annoying after a while. I mean, they don't just wave, they act like a constant 25mph wind is hitting them.

Building Editor.....pain. It does NOT save all the pieces of a building. Could be a glitch....it's a sucky glitch. Easier to just hit pause and build your structures in game, as you can build in pause mode now. Is there a way to make the path lights change color? In the demo during night mode, the lamps put off a sort of light yellow glow. Now they glow WHITE.....stark white. It again might be a graphics issue, as putting two lights on the same path tile, and next to a wall, causes the wall to flicker. My comp specs FAR exceed the min req's for this game (P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 40GBhd), so I'm not sure why that happens.

Those are my thoughts. Not a bad game......certainly more of a letdown than RCT2 was when it was released. This thing will have to be patched to high hell. Hopefully Atari steps up to the plate. In it's current state, I would not spend another dime on this series. If they fix these issues, then I might consider the expansions.
  • Richie%s's Photo
    When atari released Driv3r it was full of glitches. Like, police cars falling on my head when im in the middle of nowhere, cars bumping up and down as they drive up hills, not getting in a car the first time your press.. thats just a couple on the ps2 version.

What im saying is atari seem to slack, like they just want to get the game out there, instead of trying to fix all these gameplay issuses. Driv3r took about 4 - 5 years to make, they still cant correct things like it before release. Anyone else had problems with atari products?

If atari dont fix problems that come up with patches, i wont buy anything from them again. Its a big market, and the amount of money involved, the money people pay for an unfinished product is unfair. They should FINISH products before realeased, especially if its not on PC and cant be patched.

That doesnt really have anything to do with rct3, but i may as well post it now.

I wont be buying RCT3 untill they have fixed issues that get mentioned with patches.
  • Toon%s's Photo
    As 'trix stated, the trees get really tiresome after a while...It would be fantastic if we could turn the moving trees off (also help with framerate issues on slower computers I would guess).

Is anyone else having a problem with the game getting REALLY slow when it is paused (whether you're building something or not). For me it gets extremely choppy and I am experiencing extreme lags). My computer isn't as good as Meretrix's but it still far exceeds the minimum requirements and I'm running it below the recommended settings for general play. Seems strange that it runs fine with all the animations going, but when you stop them it runs terribly.

My general feeling is that if Atari doesn't support this product and clean up the mess, that I will not use it very often. The potential here is phenomenal, but rushing the product out to the point that the exceeded there projected release date with a product that has as many flaws as I'm finding seems stupid.
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

I am experiencing the music problem as well.

I doubt Atari would leave everything in the wind like this...
    Or atleast I hope not.

But they DID destroy the RCT 2 expansions after all, so IDK...

My experiences with RCT 3 so faar are mainly positive though, not too many complaints sans some annoyances, but whatever.

Raven-SDI
    §
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    So I guess it has been released? I thought it came out next week...
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Preorders came in on Tuesday, Kumba.

I'm not sure, but I thought I remember seeing an option to stop tree sway in the demo. I might be crazy tho.
  • JiMeMo%s's Photo
    Other than the fact that it makes my computer crash after 5 minutes, it seems like a lot of fun...
  • Cameraman%s's Photo
    Supposedly a patch fixing a LOT of issues will be coming out November 2nd.

There's SO much wrong with this game, but it has so much potential!

-Peeps have horrible pathfinding (rides not on the main path will get very few riders, maps do not help one bit)
    -Some coasters have strange car limits, 5 on B&M floorless, twister, standup and 6 on giga.
    -Brakes on some coasters has very little effect on speed
    -Block brakes totally stop a coaster even when the brake ahead is clear (although Frontier claims block brakes are supposed to do that, uh...have they ridden a coaster before???)
    -Load/Unload stations are no more
    -Water rides are totally messed up

The list goes on and on... hopefully they can fix the issues.
  • GuestGRIDE%s's Photo
    I think it does come out next week, but Comp Usa has them already. It's kind of a lousy remake from what I've experienced, however. You can only have five cars in a train. Plus, the game gets all of the old designs all wrong.
  • Tech Artist%s's Photo

I'm not sure, but I thought I remember seeing an option to stop tree sway in the demo.  I might be crazy tho.

The only way I know how is to switch the trees to 3D. That option is under options.

I should have my copy of Rct 3 by tommarrow! :D
  • nightterror%s's Photo
    I for one love this game. I have had minimal problems and I am not running on a super computer. My computer exceeds the games specs though.

The graphics are gorgeous to look at and I think the personality of theme parks has been captured quiet well. The peeps add much more variety and life to the game.

All of the scenery elements are very well done. A wide variety (impressive for the inital release at least) of wall / ceiling/ animatronic etc. items exist. Granted none of them can be combined with other themes too well but I am sure someone will prove me wrong.

So many people are complaing about problems and things that aren't working and such, but I have had ample time with the game and find it an absolute joy. I will not be going back to the old RCTs. The terrain tool alone will keep me staying.

The coaster cam can be fun. A little boring on flat rides but fun for the first couple times on your newly built coaster.

Keep in mind I have been playing the game only in sandbox mode and the scenerio editor so I have no idea how it plays from a park management standpoint. Given that this is the games main focus IGN gave the game an 8.5 based on the scenario aspect of the game.

There are a few annoyances to the game and the biggest one is not being able to build walls or fences on paths. I also wish there was a little more variety in the Colored Walls scenery items but I am sure these will come along.
  • zach%s's Photo
    what i hate is there is over 600 peeps in my park....and a fraction of them are riding the rides. they all just wander around.
  • Nitrous Oxide%s's Photo

When atari released Driv3r it was full of glitches. Like, police cars falling on my head when im in the middle of nowhere, cars bumping up and down as they drive up hills, not getting in a car the first time your press.. thats just a couple on the ps2 version.

What im saying is atari seem to slack, like they just want to get the game out there, instead of trying to fix all these gameplay issuses. Driv3r took about 4 - 5 years to make, they still cant correct things like it before release. Anyone else had problems with atari products?

If atari dont fix problems that come up with patches, i wont buy anything from them again. Its a big market, and the amount of money involved, the money people pay for an unfinished product is unfair. They should FINISH products before realeased, especially if its not on PC and cant be patched.

That doesnt really have anything to do with rct3, but i may as well post it now.

I wont be buying RCT3 untill they have fixed issues that get mentioned with patches.

But the question is... Is it Atari's fault.. or Frontier?
  • Scorchio%s's Photo
    I played it at a mate's house and had the same prob as Zach - no-one rides anything.
  • zach%s's Photo
    yeah....i have a screen of this atrocity.
    i am also pissed at how often rides break down.
    my information booth and pizza stall have both broken down....more than once.

\/\/\/ empty lines....packed paths. kinda hard to tell...but there are like 600 peeps. biggest line is about 100 for the coaster.

Attached Files

• TheGuardian%s's Photo
    Yeah, i'm playing around with getting peeps to the coasters, i had a boost in all ride lines, when i made all rides free (this is in Sandbox mode)

I'm also playing around with exits on my one coaster which continously says peeps are having a hard time getting off. so whatever.

I love this game though, its time consuming - very much so - but my park looks beautiful, so vibrant and alive once. i get my park more filled in, and i get my new area fleshed out, i'll post screens.
  • zach%s's Photo
    did the boost stay that way?
  • Magnus%s's Photo

My general feeling is that if Atari doesn't support this product and clean up the mess, that I will not use it very often.  The potential here is phenomenal, but rushing the product out to the point that the exceeded there projected release date with a product that has as many flaws as I'm finding seems stupid.

i said this on a german page when the first demo was out.
    i really belived rct3 could be the best part of the rct series and maybe even one of the best games this year.,

but you are right. atari doesn't care about the game. WE are the fans. WE brought up lots of ideas. our wishes. but nobody cares about that. atari is just making a game and doesn't care about us.

just a short example
    the biggest german languaged fansite wrote a letter and several mails t atari and asked for a tesversion of rct3. we wanted to make a big test, but no reaction from atari. no mail. no letter.
    they do not care about the real fans.

at the moment i do not see a good game. rct3 has a big potencia, but it is defenetly released to early.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading