Released / Ouest

• natelox%s's Photo
    Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that I'll never have the time to finish this. I firmly believe that this is my best work to date. The goal was to create a highly detailed park; so detailed that no one would ever be able to notice all the details. For instance, trees are sunken into the ground to achieve the desired height, paths lead into stairs and then there is Granville Island, a themed area. Granville Island, as you may or may not notice is actually not an island, nor is it in real life. There is a story behind it (which I won't get into), and it's just a little detail that I believe brings authenticity and history to the park.

Thank you to everyone who helped, including, not exhaustively, Mantis, Posix, Adix and everyone else who tried to help get Opsal Steel Works working.

Hope you enjoy it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download

If anyone feels so compelled as to finish this, you're welcome to.
  • posix%s's Photo
    a mindblowing park by one of the most legendary players ever.

nate, i hope you'll stay and perhaps finish some smaller scale projects every now and then if time allows.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Aw man this was destined to be the best LL park.
    If anyone out there is wondering how to be totally detailed without letting that obscure the beauty of the park, then this is a masterclass.

I echo posix, nate, in hoping you do stick around and build stuff from time to time, because I think everyone could continue learning from you.
  • JDP%s's Photo
    Man, that looks excellent. Really nice screens for ll.
    -JDP
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    I've always thought Natelox and Fatha had a really cool unspoken and possibly even unintentional rivalry over the mastery of LL. I haven't downloaded the park yet (at work), but those screens look really awesome, akin to the detail in BGSS.

Really wish you would have finished this. :lol:
  • Steve%s's Photo
    legendary. Even unfinished its still the best park I've seen in awhile.
    I couldn't get a few rides to work. Help?

oh and killer woody, mantis.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Thanks. It looked a bit crap by itself - it's amazing what magic nate can work with rides. That's the thing about Fatha' and nate: their theming is absolutely top notch, but their rides are just as good. nate's rides have always been cutting edge (look how many new ideas are there in this park!). And he pays just as much attention to his smaller attractions as he does to the main draws. Look at those water rides! Amazing.

This park brings proper architectural advances, too, not just in terms of magnifying the usual detail but also in terms of materials - look at those structures made out of wooden coaster. They look like real modern buildings. And the docks! That's real devotion to the cause of all-encompassing attention to detail.

Which rides couldn't you get to work, Steve?
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Not sure what the names of them were, but there was a river ride near the woody I couldn't get going. Actually, that might have been the only one. At first I couldn't figure out how to work most of the rides but you just need to click in the right places I guess. Also, is the Concentrator just a building, or a ride? I saw a queue for it, I think.

And I agree about the water rides. Nate might be a master in all fields, but for me, I think he really shows his stuff through his rapids rides. They're incredible.
  • Panic%s's Photo

If anyone feels so compelled as to finish this, you're welcome to.

Not that anyone would be able to, but may I ask what the plan for the remainder of the park was?
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Damn, that DL takes me to some weird page, could someone please E-mail me a copy of the park? I really want to see it.

DRC2828@aol.com
  • mantis%s's Photo
    it's not a 'weird page' it's rapidshare.
    just click on 'free', type in the code and it'll download.
  • darkfire%s's Photo
    Hi, I'm one of those who can't download from rapidshare (http://en.wikipedia....are#Controversy).
    Could someone please upload this somewhere else.

Thank You!
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Here
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    This is a breath taking park, finished or unfinished. However it is a shame this couldn't be completed. This really makes me feel bad about my LL stuff :p

Great work Nate
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Thank you for all the wonderful replies! I'm not planning on leaving, however that request to work on smaller things...it's unlikely but I won't say no; I can't see into the future.

To answer a few things:

1) The Concentrator was inspired by a real life building in a small town called Britannia Beach which is on the way to Whistler. It was used for copper mining, but now serves as a tourist attraction. Visitors (in real life) can ride a train into the mines and see demonstrations on different drilling equipment. Photograph.

2) What was the plan for the park? Well, the only vision I had hoped for the rest of the park was to keep water usage to a minimum. Outside of that, I was just going to go wherever it took me. I did a bit of research for names of themed areas for the park:

Clayoquot
    Qualicum Falls
    Sikanni Cheif Falls
    Enderby Cliffs
    Stawamus Chief
    Telegraph Cove
    Sooke
    Desolation Sound
    West Coast Trail
    Port Renfrew
    Salt Spring Island
    Pender Island
    Qalicum Beach
    Pacific Rim National Park
    Broken Group Islands
    Alert Bay
    Arbutus Grille

These are all actual places in British Columbia and many of them are Native American in origin. One ideal for the park was to include more experiences that just rides. I dabbled with the thought of creating real white water rafting (read: UIX) in which guests would sign up in the morning, take a short class, say an hour or two, then go out and do the real thing in an uncontrolled environment. Rock climbing, kayaking and other activities native to BC were on the roster. The other aspect I wanted to incorporate was a group of festivals the park would hold annually such as a Jazz Festival, Blues Festival and Folk Festival. There is a theatre on Granville Island (both in the park and in reality) called The Arts Club Theatre. At the park, one of my favourite plays is playing, The Number 14. Excerpt from official website:

Pam Johnson’s set is the inside of a bus travelling along Vancouver’s east-west spine, picking up a bizarre cross-section of our city’s denizens along the way: old and young, rich and poor, annoying and annoyed. The six extraordinarily talented actors play about 60 different characters in 20 skits, sometimes with dialogue but often without. (Axis Theatre used to be called Axis Mime, but be not afeard--this kind of marvellous physical acting should give mime a good name again.) About half the time they wear Melody Anderson’s extraordinarily expressive, often comically grotesque masks, which along with Nancy Bryant’s eccentric costumes and wigs make the show a visual treat.

Read more about it here and reviews here.

The idea of the theatre would be to run not only the Number 14, but to bring in local plays for a run of a month or so. Community involvement is important. This is after all, inspired by where I live.

That's probably more information than you ever wanted to know about the park. But if anyone is interested in finishing it; just go with it and have fun. I really don't mind if it maintains the current aesthetic or if something new is created. I don't mind if rides or areas are removed. It's open to interpretation.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Wow Nate. How much more did you have left to do? (I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to look at it yet) I guess sometimes you just have to cut it loose. I'm definately looking forward to seeing this. All I've seen of it so far are a few screenshots. Actually, I was looking at The Aegean again the other day. I guess since I tested it I never really spent that much time looking at the finished park and one thing I missed before is how much thought you put into the Streets of Venice go-kart ride. At one point it dives out the side of a building and into a sewer pipe 'Italian Job' style. That's really cool. Who said an unfinished park isn't as good as a finished one though, right? I've seen plenty of so-called finished parks that were mostly trees anyway. And with the level of detail you're working at, there's probably a ton of cool stuff to look at.

Something that I think is interesting, just off your last reply, is how far you've come in terms of planning rides. I remember when I first started making parks I was thinking in terms of coasters and flatrides only, and the ones that were in the game. At one point I started planning new ride ideas and eventually it got to the point where I was planning whole concepts for parks and elaborate ride ideas. And I see the same evolution in your parks (and a lot of other parkmakers who I've known for just as long). Which makes me think, that goes far beyond simply playing around or playing a videogame. That's a lot of work to think up and write out and plan all of that and we do it anyway, in our spare time, because we enjoy it. Probably making RCT parks isn't going to make any of us famous or make us any money, but the kind of creativity it takes to come up with ideas like that and carry them out using tools that we've learned gradually with lots of practice is the same kind of creativity it takes to really accomplish anything significant in other endeavors.
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    @Steve: Sawmills of Sannich? Open "River Rapids 2".

Woah.

Astounding park.

Some of the cool things I've found so far:
    - Diagonal Rapids. Small, yes, but neat.
    - The LRT. Awesome idea.
    - Seaport cranes.
    - The Fish Market! Adds vibrancy to that seaport area.
    - "Bridges" Restaurant.
    - "Tower of Terror" building. IMO it could've used more windows, but still really cool. Shows your knowledge of architecture.
    - Chimneys made from stacked barrels.
    - Trees sunken into the ground. Really cool idea... I could think of some uses for that...
    - "The Boat House"

So much more I could add. The hacks you used were subtle, yet on a whole make the park so much more enjoyable. Unfinished or not, thank you for releasing this.

I'd also like to echo posix and hope you work on more in the future.

LLLL.

-ACE
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    No. Probably the one park I wanted to see completed most.
  • Prince%s's Photo
    nate this is simply beautiful. I've absolutely loved your work since Altamont (I beleive thats what it was called?) but this...this is something completely epic.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Very nice Nate. I really enjoyed both steel coasters and the all the details everywhere, like that little fire station, the resturants and the fish market. I think the only thing I did not like was all the retitive little buildings, a few big or medium ones would have helped even things out.

I hope you get back into RCT someday.