General Chat / Coolest City you have ever visited?

• ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    The City Of Atlantis.... Can't Beat It.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    Portland, Oregon.
  • Austin55%s's Photo

Portland, Oregon.

Just got back from there. Took Amtrak to Seattle. Awesome 1-2 punch. The PNW needs itself a good theme park. I preferred Seattle to Portland though. Hopefully will go to Vancouver one day. Been to Victoria and it's awesome to. 

Pittsburgh PA is also awesome. It's not clean, but it's got that dirty rustbelt charm and it's setting is beautiful. I really liked it. 

Here's everywhere I've been in the U.S. with a Kansas City trip planned

0YZr9kP.png

• Lotte%s's Photo

do i spot a cedarpoint roadtrip on that map? ;)

• inthemanual%s's Photo

The PNW needs itself a good theme park.

• Austin55%s's Photo

do i spot a cedarpoint roadtrip on that map? ;)

Haha, that was last summer and exactly what it was, as well as a family reunion in West Virginia. 

• Lotte%s's Photo

probably Barcelona. i've been there almost ten times now (RIP my grandparents vacation home which they sold, greedy bastards) i love all the architecture made by Gaudí and the normal architecture is really stunning as well. not to forget about the weather! 

• Croustibapt%s's Photo

- Queenstown, New Zealand : a small town lost in the mountains where you can do skydiving, bungee jumping, cruise the lake wakatipu on a 100 years old ferry and party all night long. The architecture is really beautiful and the whole place is just amazing, with the lake and snowy mountains all around the city.

- Auckland, New Zealand : a big and very clean city with a nice atmosphere and a beautiful skyline (with the sky tower, and many volcanos all around the city center).

- Lyon, France : that's where I live. Second biggest French city although it's a lot smaller and less crowded than Paris. There are two rivers that go through the whole city, a huge hill where a beautiful cathedral sits and an old city center from the XVth century. Absolutely gorgeous. (You can also spot the Mont Blanc on a clear day).

- Vienna, Austria : Incredibly beautiful and people are really friendly there !

• FK+Coastermind%s's Photo

Since i live in Chicago, i won't say Chicago, but umm Chicago

My fav place (as well as city) is easily London. Friend asked me for some things to do in London while he was there, i accidentally listed 50 things.

It should be noted, however, that as an urban planner, i just love cities in general. Other places i thoroughly enjoyed include:

Barcelona

Cape Town

Dubai (So weird, so fancy, so weird)

Venice

Las Vegas (its like, Drunk Disneyworld yo)

Sienna (old Medieval town in Italy)

Lisbon (dat food)

London Again!

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

I haven't been out of the country unfortunately and that should be noted, but I have been to quite a few U.S. cities. I would have to put New York as my favorite... sure I live an hour away so I may be a little biased but you'll never run out of things to see and do there. 

Outside of that I really enjoy Baltimore (around the Inner Harbor area), Boston and San Francisco (it's an incredibly unique city). Atlanta is actually a really cool city too with a lot more culture than I would have expected.

I would say Los Angeles is probably my least favorite U.S. city. It feels incredibly generic and lifeless. Everything around Los Angeles is great (Santa Monica, Hollywood, Beverly Hills), but Los Angeles itself sucks. I thought about saying Cleveland because it's a shit hole but at least it's a shit hole with some personality which is more than I can say for L.A.

• Liampie%s's Photo

It should be noted, however, that as an urban planner, i just love cities in general.

Also an urban planner. Cities are fascinating!

My #1 city is of course Amsterdam. It's big, beautiful, exciting, and my life is there. It's my city!

I've always praised Copenhagen, it's a very warm and modern city, of all capitals in the world most compatable to Amsterdam. Its fun to explore (not as fun as other old cities though) and has a lot to offer, like a B&M in the very heart of the city.

Because I love historic architecture so much, it came as a surprise how much I loved Cape Town when I spent two weeks there last year. It's's such a diverse and fascinating place... It gas an American looking CBD, British looking coastal areas, Dutch colonial influences, gigantic slums, dense forested areas, nice residential areas, a huuuuge mountain that's totally wild, penguins, monkeys, a disney looking waterfront, a beautiful football stadium, Afrikaans is a fantastic language for us Dutch, and the supernarkets are great. The two weeks I spent there were some of the best in my life. Loved it.
  • amblerk%s's Photo

[quote name='FK+Coastermind' timestamp='1423230376' post='649785']

It should be noted, however, that as an urban planner, i just love cities in general. Other places i thoroughly enjoyed include:

Wow what a fantastic job that must be! As an urban planner I wonder if you could find the time to have a look at the city I created, A lot of time went in to it, and with your profession in mind I would really enjoy your opinion on it :)

I uploaded a lot of its screens in the project section of the site.

With regards to my favourite cities, I would definitely have to agree with Liampie that Amsterdam is a wonderful city, both in terms of architecture and vibe! I have been over at least 7 or 8 times and love it.

Sydney is also a cool city, spent 6 months there, again some lovely architecture and a well planned out city around the wonderful harbour.

Barcelona is beautiful as well with its individual and classical feel. Also closer to home I really like Manchester as a city and also Liverpool. My city that I created took aspects from all of my travels really so couldn't pigeon hole it to one particular style or time frame.

• MCI%s's Photo

I loved London and Edinburgh when I was there.

Hamburg is also pretty cool.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I'm invited to visit someone in Bremen. Seems like an above average good looking German city to me. Any opinions by people who've been there? :)
  • 5dave%s's Photo

Been on Erasmus in Tallinn last semester and visited Helsinki, Riga and St. Petersburg as well.

Really loved Tallinn (interesting mix of medieval, soviet and modern architecture - really recommended!) and St. Petersburg was very impressive as well, like a storybook European city. Lovely places.

Wasn't a fan of either Helsinki and Riga that much. Riga reminded me a bit of Vienna but hasn't that much to offer imo and Helsinki is nice and all, but rather boring if it wasn't for its beautiful surrounding nature.

"MFG"

• macncheezburger%s's Photo

Cleveland's gotten better I think within the past year or two. There seems to be more of a positive "proud to be from this city" vibe. However, there are still people that hate it. 

I want to travel when I get employed again and I can't wait. I'm going to Carlisle in a few months (Volvo meetup). It's my first time, but I guess it's kind of a small town sort of atmosphere from what I hear, which is neat. The SO went to Chicago a few years ago to see Scooter and REALLY wants to go again, so we'll probably go together in a few years. 

We both really want to get out of the country too. Passports are expensive tho. 

I always wanted to visit St. Louis, but I'm not sure exactly why. 

• Austin55%s's Photo

I visited Cleveland for just a few hours a few years ago (Drove from Fort Worth to Cedar Point) and I really enjoyed it actually. We just drove around and spent a few hours on the waterfront park downtown. I did'nt get to see much of it though but it seemed nice enough. 

Chicago is fantastic. 

St. Louis is alright, the arch is a really impressive structure, so worth it to go to the top. It's just massive. But the City Museum is where St. Louis is really at it's best. Perhaps one of the coolest places in the world. 

I have to say that Dallas is really pushing for a name for itself lately. The area around Klyde Warren Park is gone mad with tourists, performing arts centers and museums. The Perot is really quite awesome. It's a place worth visiting for sure nowadays. It has been for a while.  

And of course Austin. I visit Austin about once a year in the spring and every time it feels like a whole new city. 

• Faas%s's Photo

Don't know where else to post this, since I didn't feel like making a new topic.

But the city where I live, Utrecht hosts the start of the Tour de France this weekend. While it is overhyped, I do think it is cool, and this video was put online today, and I think it shows my daily life in a fun way:

• Casimir%s's Photo

Oh hey, I had the first response on this. And I've been to both Tokyo and NYC, since. So yeah. Those two. ;D

• Sephiroth%s's Photo
    Duluth, MN. I got my degree in civil engineering from the University of Minnesota Duluth after moving to the city because of a friend who had a sweet housing deal. After 4 years, brutal winters, record snowfalls, living on a hill in snow and ice, switching majors, gaining friends, losing others, exploring the city, discovering the history, enjoying the sights, and many other factors Duluth gets my vote for coolest city. Two days ago I had to move again for work to the twin cities and I miss Duluth terribly. Oh well, time for a new adventure, but Duluth will always be the first place I called Home after moving out from family.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading